The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 31, 2009, 01:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to swkansasref33
Ejs!

Had my 2nd ejection tonight. Assistant Coach of a team from my hometown in a tournament on the other side of the state. Arguing balls and strikes. Sad thing, played summer ball with the guy, hes a college catcher, and should know when a catcher sets up outer 3rd, reaches across his body to catch the ball, not gonna be a strike. oh well.
Old Sun May 31, 2009, 01:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swkansasref33 View Post
Had my 2nd ejection tonight. Assistant Coach of a team from my hometown in a tournament on the other side of the state. Arguing balls and strikes. Sad thing, played summer ball with the guy, hes a college catcher, and should know when a catcher sets up outer 3rd, reaches across his body to catch the ball, not gonna be a strike. oh well.
It was a strike in the Twins/Brewers series.

Depending on where it was, it might have been a strike in your game, too.
Old Mon Jun 01, 2009, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Easy one but tough!

I had a classic MC ejection last Thursday (12AAA Travel)...BR put his arms up and ran right over the catcher waiting with the ball. It fit the rule to a tee...out and immediate ejection. No objections from anyone.

It's tough, though, when you know the kid, coach his sisters in basketball and wife works with dad in the basketball association.

The funny part was when my daughter came home from school on Friday she said a classmate of hers came up to her and said, "Your dad threw Dxxx out of our game last night!" She answered,"Yeah, he deserved it!"

Last edited by RogersUmp; Mon Jun 01, 2009 at 10:18am.
Old Mon Jun 01, 2009, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
It was a strike in the Twins/Brewers series.

Depending on where it was, it might have been a strike in your game, too.
No it wasn't a strike in his game. And, I don't have to have been at the game to know. I know b/c he called it a ball and that is all I need to know.

So, it was not a strike.
Old Mon Jun 01, 2009, 10:48am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Umpire View Post
No it wasn't a strike in his game. And, I don't have to have been at the game to know. I know b/c he called it a ball and that is all I need to know.

So, it was not a strike.
This whole view of "the catcher didn't catch it right" is interesting, but I'm not passing on a pitch that's clearly a strike regardless. The way I use the catcher is if the pitch is borderline and I need the catcher's presentation and he botches it, then it's a ball. But just cause the catcher reaches back over the plate? Strike all day. HS, NCAA, whatever.
Old Mon Jun 01, 2009, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
This whole view of "the catcher didn't catch it right" is interesting, but I'm not passing on a pitch that's clearly a strike regardless. The way I use the catcher is if the pitch is borderline and I need the catcher's presentation and he botches it, then it's a ball. But just cause the catcher reaches back over the plate? Strike all day. HS, NCAA, whatever.
My comment was not about if the catcher catches it right or not. That is a personal preference for each umpire to decide.

My comment was about how he is passing judgment on a pitch he did not see. Nor, was he the umpire behind the plate to call his own zone. Want to comment on something like that, then take that umpire's games and call your own zone. And, about something which is unique to that umpire only, his strike zone. And, if the umpire says it is a ball, then it is a ball no matter where it is. That was all my comment was.

Don't comment on something which cannot be commented on. That begins to sound like what the Rats do.
Old Mon Jun 01, 2009, 11:03am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
My comment was not about if the catcher catches it right or not. That is a personal preference for each umpire to decide.

My comment was about how he is passing judgment on a pitch he did not see. Nor, was he the umpire behind the plate to call his own zone. Want to comment on something like that, then take that umpire's games and call your own zone. And, about something which is unique to that umpire only, his strike zone. And, if the umpire says it is a ball, then it is a ball no matter where it is. That was all my comment was.

Don't comment on something which cannot be commented on. That begins to sound like what the Rats do.
I agree and I really didn't mean to comment directly on your post, it was just the most convenient jumping in point.

Plenty of times I've stood out there and watched a partner work and thought he "might" have missed a pitch or ten. Doesn't really concern me, though, as I'm not back there and can't really offer feedback on judgment. Now, if he asks and there's some mechanical / timing issues to work on, well, I may be able to offer that...
Old Mon Jun 01, 2009, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My comment was about how he is passing judgment on a pitch he did not see.
No, I didn't. Had I said that it was a strike, that would be passing judgment.
Old Mon Jun 01, 2009, 06:41pm

I don't care where the catcher's mitt starts out, as long as the pitch is in the strike zone, it's a strike. Now if the catcher has to pull his glove all the way across the plate, and the pitch is borderline, that's a different story. He isn't going to get the benefit of the doubt there like he would if he had stuck it.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Jun 01, 2009, 06:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
I don't care where the catcher's mitt starts out, as long as the pitch is in the strike zone, it's a strike. Now if the catcher has to pull his glove all the way across the plate, and the pitch is borderline, that's a different story. He isn't going to get the benefit of the doubt there like he would if he had stuck it.
Exactly.