The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 30, 2009, 01:43am
Official Forum Member

Master of the pickoff

Do any of you out there believe that a pitcher in the "gorilla arm" set is going to not only throw over to first but pick the guy off????????

Pick that booger all you want................
Old Sat May 30, 2009, 08:55am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
From the 2005 Interps:

SITUATION #5: While in the set position, F1 has his pitching hand down in front of his body, swinging slowly as he gets the sign from the catcher. RULING: The use of this “gorilla” stance in the set position is illegal. A pitcher, for the set position, shall have his pitching hand down at his side or behind his back. (6-1-3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
The gorilla arm was a trademark of the late Rod Beck, at least when he was closing for the SF Giants back in the mid-90's. AFAIK, no one complained, including the umpires.
Yes, Shooter did that (when he was with the Padres too!), but I didn't know what it was called. Heath Bell does it too, and I think he got the idea from Beck. I have seen many HS pitchers do it, and I've never heard an opposing coach complain about it. I think it's cool, and intimidates the hitter a little. A little Psy-Ops never hurts. As far as I'm concerned, the arm is "at his side," and I would never dream of calling anything on that.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat May 30, 2009, 10:13am
Stop staring at me swan.

No, but I did have one team complain about it once. So then I enforced it. I was pissed. The other coach wasn't too happy either. Fortunately, I don't see it at the FED level much anymore.
Old Sat May 30, 2009, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
Yes, Shooter did that (when he was with the Padres too!), but I didn't know what it was called. Heath Bell does it too, and I think he got the idea from Beck. I have seen many HS pitchers do it, and I've never heard an opposing coach complain about it. I think it's cool, and intimidates the hitter a little. A little Psy-Ops never hurts. As far as I'm concerned, the arm is "at his side," and I would never dream of calling anything on that.
The 2005 FED interp is the only place I have ever seen it forbidden. The NCAA allows it with no penalty. According to BRD 374 it is one of four "don't do that anymore" infractions, so it is interesting that a pickoff from that position would be allowed.
Old Sat May 30, 2009, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

The problem comes from a coaching/baserunner's ability to tell when the pitcher has come set. If the coach doesn't complain, let it go.
Old Sat May 30, 2009, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

My problem with the FED rule or any coach complaining about it is: How do you not know he is not set? The runners can clearly see the hand is not in the glove. There is no illegal deception going on. If the pitcher has his hand really close to the glove and it is perfectly still, then maaaaaaaaaaaaaybeeeeeee. But, other than that, who is being illegally deceived?

This is one of those rules which needs to go away and umpires quit calling unless someone actually complains about it. But, if the rule goes away, then the coaches can't complain about it anymore.
Old Sat May 30, 2009, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherblue View Post
The problem comes from a coaching/baserunner's ability to tell when the pitcher has come set. If the coach doesn't complain, let it go.
I'm pretty sure you can't "gorilla arm" in the set position.
Old Sat May 30, 2009, 06:59pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonInKansas View Post
Why not?
Old Sat May 30, 2009, 07:05pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonInKansas View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
Why not?
I think he means once you have "come set," not the preliminary set position.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat May 30, 2009, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

hmmmm in the ten years I've been umpiring, I've never seen it done except in the set position. Just as Mr. Beck did. However YMMV. Than again, one must know the difference between the Wind-Up vs. the Set position, as well as the difference between pitching from the set position and coming set. Prior to coming set is where were discussing the gorilla arm movement. Again, YMMV. Generally speaking, you can see the "gorilla" arm swing during the movement. There are times when a pitcher isn't swinging his arm that it can be difficult to see him come set from a baserunning perspective, depending on his personnal style. This is where the rule comes into play, as well as where a pitcher can obtain an advantage over the baserunner, by not being able to determine when he comes set.

I have seen pitchers using the wind-up that shake their arm and or hand, I don't really consider that a gorilla arm again..YMMV

Last edited by justanotherblue; Sat May 30, 2009 at 09:02pm. Reason: for the anal retentave
Old Sat May 30, 2009, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

Rodney did it while he read the signs. He didn't do it once he came to a set.