The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Basic Question #4 (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/53135-basic-question-4-a.html)

Emperor Ump Tue May 12, 2009 08:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by spokanelurker (Post 601377)
Delay your game?

Yes my game. I'm the one in control of the game and one of my many tasks is to manage the pace of the game, in fact it was a POE this year. I hate calling time unnecessarily and calling it for taking jewelry off when the coach has assured me they weren't wearing any. Grrrr..

Quote:

Originally Posted by UmpTTS43 (Post 601406)
Booger picking and I don't have a Kleenex. "Take it off, please." Game continues.

Definitely booger picking. Haven't done it wouldn't do it, but every time it happens this is what's going through my mind.

bob jenkins Tue May 12, 2009 08:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozzy6900 (Post 601427)
The NCAA rule is pretty much the same - warn then eject.

NCAA players are allowed to wear jewelry (unless it's F1 and distracting, ...)

jwwashburn Tue May 12, 2009 09:02am

This thread pushed me over the edge.

you’re
Contraction
Definition: you are

---------
your

adjective
Definition:

1. belonging to person spoken to: refers to something that belongs to or relates to the person who is being spoken to
What's your phone number?

2. belonging or relating to somebody: refers to something that belongs or relates to an unspecified person or people in general
The house is on your left as you come down the street.

3. indicates typicality: refers to somebody or something as a typical example of a familiar type ( informal )
your typical neighborhood park

tcarilli Tue May 12, 2009 09:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 601432)
NCAA players are allowed to wear jewelry (unless it's F1 and distracting, ...)

Also, there is no warning. The penalty is remove the distracting item or be ejected.

Tim C Tue May 12, 2009 10:04am

Mr Washburn

Quote:

"This thread pushed me over the edge."
So, in your opinion, it is my job to edit a complaint that has been sent to me.

The OP was cut/paste from the complaint from the AD of the school with the ejected player.

You must stand pretty close to edges.

UMP25 Tue May 12, 2009 10:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim C (Post 600854)
During the pre-game plate conference you say to the coaches:

"Are all your players legally and properly equipped including no jewelery?"

Both coaches mutter:

"Yes."

Now it is the fourth inning and the batter at the plate has complained, muttered, shook his head at a few of your calls.

You have reached the point that you would really like to dump him but he has not gone quite over your "line".

As you call strike three with your best Leslie Nielsen dance steps the batter walks past you giving you the REAL FU stare.

You notice at this precise instant that he is wearing a silver necklace.

You loudly announce to the crowd of seven:

"You're GONE for wearing jewelery!!!!"

Are you correct in your ruling?

Along these lines, you're working an NCAA D3 conference game when you notice the batter is wearing a helmet that has a 2-inch crack on the side facing you (opposite side of the pitcher). The crack is where the visor meets the head casing. Do you ignore it because of the crack's location? Do you ignore it because it's not really that big and has not caused the helmet to really "split"? Do you tell him to get a new helmet?

Well, I was the plate umpire in this situation when I simply but politely approached the batter and told him to get a new helmet. After his at-bat, the next two guys had a similar problem: they were wearing cracked helmets as well--and not the same helmet, either. Head coach looks at me and says, "We're running out of helmets."

Like that's my problem. You'd think this was a no-brainer.

bob jenkins Tue May 12, 2009 10:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by UMP25 (Post 601445)
You'd think this was a no-brainer.

It would be, if they got hit.

UMP25 Tue May 12, 2009 10:21am

Indeed.

jwwashburn Tue May 12, 2009 11:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim C (Post 601444)
So, in your opinion, it is my job to edit a complaint that has been sent to me.

The OP was cut/paste from the complaint from the AD of the school with the ejected player.

You must stand pretty close to edges.

Tim, you get paid very well! Of course it is your job!

ManInBlue Tue May 12, 2009 07:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Umpmazza (Post 601398)
.... and in HS you can wear Jewelry.

Uh...nope.

As previously posted (sorry, I didn't read after the quoted post before posting)

spokanelurker Tue May 12, 2009 10:22pm

Emperor...

...didn't anyone ever tell you that you're an extra, not a star? The best game you ever work will be the one after which no one remembers who you are. Seriously.

Rich Tue May 12, 2009 11:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by spokanelurker (Post 601635)
...didn't anyone ever tell you that you're an extra, not a star? The best game you ever work will be the one after which no one remembers who you are. Seriously.

"One of the really wrong theories about officiating is that a good official is one you never notice. The umpire who made that statement was probably a real poor official who tried to get his paycheck and hide behind his partners and stay out of trouble all his life. Control of the ballgame is the difference between umpires that show up for the players and the managers." - National League Umpire Bruce Froemming

Tim C Tue May 12, 2009 11:16pm

Rich

Spokanelurker is just another idiot from Garth's area that does not understand umpiring.

We deal with twits everyday.

Trolls are just part of message boards.

Regards,

UMP25 Tue May 12, 2009 11:31pm

Indeed, Tee. I had a couple of them tell me how unprofessional I was when I ejected a head coach recently (see "they changed the balk rule thread").

Kevin Finnerty Wed May 13, 2009 12:30am

A couple of them?

We're umpires who don't bait and eject coaches and we differed with you. You baited a coach and ejected him and then boasted about it. What's that ... professional?