The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   substitute question (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/53002-substitute-question.html)

Lastump Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:02pm

substitute question

Coach wants to put in #6 for #12. ok fine. other coach protests because #6 is not listed on the line up card, but #6 is a legal sub. this is ok right in fed rules for softball or baseball, or am i mixing up ASA rules????? or home team gives me a line up with only 9 players, i say he can sub any legal sub even though they are not listed on the line up card (fed rules baseball). thanks for the clarification.

DG Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:05pm

OK in baseball, don't know anything about softball.

If coach brings me a lineup with only 9 players listed I will ask him if he has no subs and if he does I will tell him it is courtesy to include his subs.

yawetag Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lastump (Post 598489)
Coach wants to put in #6 for #12. ok fine. other coach protests because #6 is not listed on the line up card, but #6 is a legal sub. this is ok right in fed rules for softball or baseball, or am i mixing up ASA rules????? or home team gives me a line up with only 9 players, i say he can sub any legal sub even though they are not listed on the line up card (fed rules baseball). thanks for the clarification.

In FED, a list of substitutes is not mandatory.

w_sohl Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:14am

However, if a protest is made and upheld the coach can only play with the players listed on his lineup card the day of that game. He cannot add new players later so it is in his best interest to have everyone on the card wether they'll come in or not.

SanDiegoSteve Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by w_sohl (Post 598502)
However, if a protest is made and upheld the coach can only play with the players listed on his lineup card the day of that game. He cannot add new players later so it is in his best interest to have everyone on the card wether they'll come in or not.

Wow, I never thought of that! Good to know.

bob jenkins Wed Apr 29, 2009 07:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by w_sohl (Post 598502)

That might be true in your part of CA, but it's not the FED rule.

Lastump Wed Apr 29, 2009 08:38am

interesting, 2 of my regular partners swear you MUST list all players and subs or they can't play. what a dilemma..... i think there is a case just can't find. can't find the rule that does not allow out either yet my partners say there is a rule and they can't find either. i told them to quit making stuff up... lol

johnnyg08 Wed Apr 29, 2009 08:42am

it's specifically in the rules that not listing subs is okay...in fact, I think it was a test question this year.

jdmara Wed Apr 29, 2009 08:49am

In FED baseball sub do not have to be listed. From what has been said at my association meetings, it is required in softball though. I don't do softball though so take that advice about softball with a grain of salt

-Josh

UmpJM Wed Apr 29, 2009 08:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by lastump (Post 598568)
interesting, 2 of my regular partners swear you must list all players and subs or they can't play. What a dilemma..... I think there is a case just can't find. Can't find the rule that does not allow out either yet my partners say there is a rule and they can't find either. I told them to quit making stuff up... Lol

1-1-2

1.1.2b

jm

mbyron Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:32am

Here's the case:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Case Book
1.1.2 SITUATION B: Team A’s JV team has returned to join the varsity team during
the sixth inning of the varsity game. A member of Team A’s JV team attempts
to enter the game as a pinch runner, but Team B’s coach notices that Team A’s JV
player was not listed on the starting lineup card and argues he should not be
allowed to enter the game. RULING: There is no penalty if the names are not listed
on the lineup card.
However, it is suggested that all players who might possibly
enter the game be listed with their proper names and shirt numbers.

Tim C Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:26pm

Two fer . . .

Quote:

" . . . interesting, 2 of my regular partners swear you MUST list all players and subs or they can't play."
There is no dilemma. Your partners are simply wrong.

Quote:

" . . . if a protest is made and upheld the coach can only play with the players listed on his lineup card the day of that game. He cannot add new players later so it is in his best interest to have everyone on the card wether they'll come in or not."
This is not only not an NFHS rule it is contradictory to their philosophy of participation.

Clearly FED has a case play were a player shows up late and is allowed to play.

Must be a "when in Rome . . . " type ruling.

socalblue1 Wed Apr 29, 2009 02:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim C (Post 598651)
There is no dilemma. Your partners are simply wrong.

This is not only not an NFHS rule it is contradictory to their philosophy of participation.

Clearly FED has a case play were a player shows up late and is allowed to play.

Must be a "when in Rome . . . " type ruling.

Exactly! The only exceptions would be a player not eligible to play in the original game due to suspension or is currently suspended (Prior ejection or academic). Otherwise they are eligible to play.

SethPDX Wed Apr 29, 2009 02:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lastump (Post 598489)
Coach wants to put in #6 for #12. ok fine. other coach protests because #6 is not listed on the line up card, but #6 is a legal sub. this is ok right in fed rules for softball or baseball, or am i mixing up ASA rules?????

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdmara (Post 598570)
In FED baseball sub do not have to be listed. From what has been said at my association meetings, it is required in softball though. I don't do softball though so take that advice about softball with a grain of salt

-Josh

NFHS softball: A substitute need not be listed on the lineup card to be eligible to enter.

MrUmpire Wed Apr 29, 2009 04:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve (Post 598513)
Wow, I never thought of that! Good to know.

There's a reason to having never thought of it. It's wrong.