The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 21, 2009, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Ed Hickox Concussion

Heard about this. And from the articles he was wearing a helmet?

I am sure this added to the craziness of this game.

NEW YORK – Umpire Ed Hickox likely will be out for a week after sustaining a concussion during Saturday's game between the Cleveland Indians and New York Yankees.

Working home plate, Hickox was struck in the middle of his helmet by a foul ball off Cleveland outfielder Ben Francisco's bat in the sixth inning of the Indians' 22-4 win. Catcher Jose Molina quickly reached out to help steady Hickox as he staggered backward.

Hickox left the field for a moment, but remained in the game until second base umpire Tom Hallion replaced him behind the plate in the eighth.

Crew Chief Jerry Crawford says he believes Hickox spent the night in the hospital.

Umpire Mike Estabrook was set to fill in for Hickox on Sunday.
Old Tue Apr 21, 2009, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Yep,

Quote:
"And from the articles he was wearing a helmet?"
He was indeed wearing an HSM with his traditional 7 stitch cap.

This shows that perhaps the MiLB study done last season that showed both the frequency and seriousness of concussions were greater while wearing an HSM.

As I stated I did not put a lot of value in last summer's study as it was anecdotal with not enough raw information. But there could be a trend coming up.

Regards,
Old Tue Apr 21, 2009, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3SPORT View Post
Heard about this. And from the articles he was wearing a helmet?

I am sure this added to the craziness of this game.

NEW YORK – Umpire Ed Hickox likely will be out for a week after sustaining a concussion during Saturday's game between the Cleveland Indians and New York Yankees.

Working home plate, Hickox was struck in the middle of his helmet by a foul ball off Cleveland outfielder Ben Francisco's bat in the sixth inning of the Indians' 22-4 win. Catcher Jose Molina quickly reached out to help steady Hickox as he staggered backward.

Hickox left the field for a moment, but remained in the game until second base umpire Tom Hallion replaced him behind the plate in the eighth.

Crew Chief Jerry Crawford says he believes Hickox spent the night in the hospital.
Umpire Mike Estabrook was set to fill in for Hickox on Sunday.

The crew chief does not know if Hickox spent the night in the hospital??????????
Old Tue Apr 21, 2009, 12:09pm
Stop staring at me swan.

maybe he wasn't 100% sure or isn't authorized to comment on it...so he probably stated it that way...

is Estabrook a full timer or a filler-inner?
Old Tue Apr 21, 2009, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3SPORT View Post

Working home plate, Hickox was struck in the middle of his helmet by a foul ball off Cleveland outfielder Ben Francisco's bat in the sixth inning of the Indians' 22-4 win.
The injury is unfortunate. But look on the bright side: at least the report didn't call it a foul tip!
Old Tue Apr 21, 2009, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
maybe he wasn't 100% sure or isn't authorized to comment on it...so he probably stated it that way...

is Estabrook a full timer or a filler-inner?
He is an up and down guy.
Old Tue Apr 21, 2009, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C View Post

This shows that perhaps the MiLB study done last season that showed both the frequency and seriousness of concussions were greater while wearing an HSM.

As I stated I did not put a lot of value in last summer's study as it was anecdotal with not enough raw information. But there could be a trend coming up.

Regards,
Which appears strange because for a few of the guys who suffered injuries, they immediately switched to the HSM (Carlson, Danley, Foster).
Old Tue Apr 21, 2009, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

A bit off topic, but related to this.

I know the umpires finished the game as a 3-man crew. What would be the steps if they were a 6-man crew at the time (World Series, for instance)? Do they change to 5-man, or do they drop the other OF umpire and go to 4-man? If they remain 5-man, where does the 5th man position himself?
Old Tue Apr 21, 2009, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

They usually drop to 5-man with one of the outfield line umpires coming in.
Old Tue Apr 21, 2009, 02:07pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C View Post

Regards,
Perhaps since the helmet isn't designed to be worn with a cap...
Old Tue Apr 21, 2009, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawetag View Post
A bit off topic, but related to this.

I know the umpires finished the game as a 3-man crew. What would be the steps if they were a 6-man crew at the time (World Series, for instance)? Do they change to 5-man, or do they drop the other OF umpire and go to 4-man? If they remain 5-man, where does the 5th man position himself?

happened during last years play-offs (WS?) at Tropicana. The HPU left the game, I think 2BU went behind the dish and one of the OF umps moved in. They finished with 5 and the one OF ump was on the more troublesome line (catwalks and other factors)
Old Tue Apr 21, 2009, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Perhaps since the helmet isn't designed to be worn with a cap...
Doubtful. If a cap underneath effects the performance of an HSM, so would varying hairstyles.
Old Tue Apr 21, 2009, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
Doubtful. If a cap underneath effects the performance of an HSM, so would varying hairstyles.
So umps sporting mullets shouldn't rock the HSM?
Old Tue Apr 21, 2009, 04:11pm
In Time Out

Hickox was wearing a long sleeve black shirt, also. After the accident, all the umpires were wearing short sleeve powder blue shirts. I guess it warmed up enough during the game for the umpires to consider changing to something cooler.
Old Tue Apr 21, 2009, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
Hickox was wearing a long sleeve black shirt, also. After the accident, all the umpires were wearing short sleeve powder blue shirts. I guess it warmed up enough during the game for the umpires to consider changing to something cooler.
Not quite.

Photo from AP Photo - News, photos, topics, and quotes