The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Ed Hickox Concussion (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/52915-ed-hickox-concussion.html)

3SPORT Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:12am

Ed Hickox Concussion

Heard about this. And from the articles he was wearing a helmet?

I am sure this added to the craziness of this game.

NEW YORK – Umpire Ed Hickox likely will be out for a week after sustaining a concussion during Saturday's game between the Cleveland Indians and New York Yankees.

Working home plate, Hickox was struck in the middle of his helmet by a foul ball off Cleveland outfielder Ben Francisco's bat in the sixth inning of the Indians' 22-4 win. Catcher Jose Molina quickly reached out to help steady Hickox as he staggered backward.

Hickox left the field for a moment, but remained in the game until second base umpire Tom Hallion replaced him behind the plate in the eighth.

Crew Chief Jerry Crawford says he believes Hickox spent the night in the hospital.

Umpire Mike Estabrook was set to fill in for Hickox on Sunday.

Tim C Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:46am

Yep,

Quote:

"And from the articles he was wearing a helmet?"
He was indeed wearing an HSM with his traditional 7 stitch cap.

This shows that perhaps the MiLB study done last season that showed both the frequency and seriousness of concussions were greater while wearing an HSM.

As I stated I did not put a lot of value in last summer's study as it was anecdotal with not enough raw information. But there could be a trend coming up.

Regards,

BigTex Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3SPORT (Post 597059)
Heard about this. And from the articles he was wearing a helmet?

I am sure this added to the craziness of this game.

NEW YORK – Umpire Ed Hickox likely will be out for a week after sustaining a concussion during Saturday's game between the Cleveland Indians and New York Yankees.

Working home plate, Hickox was struck in the middle of his helmet by a foul ball off Cleveland outfielder Ben Francisco's bat in the sixth inning of the Indians' 22-4 win. Catcher Jose Molina quickly reached out to help steady Hickox as he staggered backward.

Hickox left the field for a moment, but remained in the game until second base umpire Tom Hallion replaced him behind the plate in the eighth.

Crew Chief Jerry Crawford says he believes Hickox spent the night in the hospital.
Umpire Mike Estabrook was set to fill in for Hickox on Sunday.

The crew chief does not know if Hickox spent the night in the hospital??????????

johnnyg08 Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:09pm

maybe he wasn't 100% sure or isn't authorized to comment on it...so he probably stated it that way...

is Estabrook a full timer or a filler-inner?

mbyron Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3SPORT (Post 597059)

Working home plate, Hickox was struck in the middle of his helmet by a foul ball off Cleveland outfielder Ben Francisco's bat in the sixth inning of the Indians' 22-4 win.

The injury is unfortunate. But look on the bright side: at least the report didn't call it a foul tip!

Durham Tue Apr 21, 2009 01:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyg08 (Post 597074)
maybe he wasn't 100% sure or isn't authorized to comment on it...so he probably stated it that way...

is Estabrook a full timer or a filler-inner?

He is an up and down guy.

mrm21711 Tue Apr 21, 2009 01:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim C (Post 597069)

This shows that perhaps the MiLB study done last season that showed both the frequency and seriousness of concussions were greater while wearing an HSM.

As I stated I did not put a lot of value in last summer's study as it was anecdotal with not enough raw information. But there could be a trend coming up.

Regards,

Which appears strange because for a few of the guys who suffered injuries, they immediately switched to the HSM (Carlson, Danley, Foster).

yawetag Tue Apr 21, 2009 01:35pm

A bit off topic, but related to this.

I know the umpires finished the game as a 3-man crew. What would be the steps if they were a 6-man crew at the time (World Series, for instance)? Do they change to 5-man, or do they drop the other OF umpire and go to 4-man? If they remain 5-man, where does the 5th man position himself?

UMP25 Tue Apr 21, 2009 01:37pm

They usually drop to 5-man with one of the outfield line umpires coming in.

Rich Tue Apr 21, 2009 02:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim C (Post 597069)

Regards,

Perhaps since the helmet isn't designed to be worn with a cap...

eagle_12 Tue Apr 21, 2009 02:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by yawetag (Post 597105)
A bit off topic, but related to this.

I know the umpires finished the game as a 3-man crew. What would be the steps if they were a 6-man crew at the time (World Series, for instance)? Do they change to 5-man, or do they drop the other OF umpire and go to 4-man? If they remain 5-man, where does the 5th man position himself?

happened during last years play-offs (WS?) at Tropicana. The HPU left the game, I think 2BU went behind the dish and one of the OF umps moved in. They finished with 5 and the one OF ump was on the more troublesome line (catwalks and other factors)

MrUmpire Tue Apr 21, 2009 03:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 597115)
Perhaps since the helmet isn't designed to be worn with a cap...

Doubtful. If a cap underneath effects the performance of an HSM, so would varying hairstyles.

DonInKansas Tue Apr 21, 2009 03:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrUmpire (Post 597129)
Doubtful. If a cap underneath effects the performance of an HSM, so would varying hairstyles.

So umps sporting mullets shouldn't rock the HSM?:D

Steven Tyler Tue Apr 21, 2009 04:11pm

Hickox was wearing a long sleeve black shirt, also. After the accident, all the umpires were wearing short sleeve powder blue shirts. I guess it warmed up enough during the game for the umpires to consider changing to something cooler.

mrm21711 Tue Apr 21, 2009 05:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Tyler (Post 597132)
Hickox was wearing a long sleeve black shirt, also. After the accident, all the umpires were wearing short sleeve powder blue shirts. I guess it warmed up enough during the game for the umpires to consider changing to something cooler.

Not quite.

Photo from AP Photo - News, photos, topics, and quotes