The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 17, 2009, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

OBR Books to ship third week of May

In case anyone's interested, Triumph Books, the publisher of Official Baseball Rules, just received from MLB the final information and updates to the OBR. Consequently, they're going to press and are scheduled to be shipped the third week of May.

Retail price is $9.95, but if you're eligible for a discount (I've obtained this for our association, for example), the discount will be 60% off the retail price.

I'm beginning to wonder who's slower: MLB or the Federal Government.
Old Fri Apr 17, 2009, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25 View Post
In case anyone's interested, Triumph Books, the publisher of Official Baseball Rules, just received from MLB the final information and updates to the OBR. Consequently, they're going to press and are scheduled to be shipped the third week of May.

Retail price is $9.95, but if you're eligible for a discount (I've obtained this for our association, for example), the discount will be 60% off the retail price.

I'm beginning to wonder who's slower: MLB or the Federal Government.
Does MLB post rule changes? Instead of buying a new book, I'd just assume change the rules in my book, if there were any.
Old Sat Apr 18, 2009, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

They post them on mlb.com in .pdf format for you to download and print off, so why pay?
Old Sat Apr 18, 2009, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawetag View Post
Does MLB post rule changes? Instead of buying a new book, I'd just assume change the rules in my book, if there were any.
"I'd just assume"???
Old Sat Apr 18, 2009, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger49 View Post
They post them on mlb.com in .pdf format for you to download and print off, so why pay?
Because books are easier to transport than "packets" IMO. It doesn't matter because we get a free OBR from the state legion every year which is nice
Old Sat Apr 18, 2009, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The size of the book is much smaller than 8.5x11 paper is. Also, the paper stock is much easier to flip through to get to a particular page.
Old Sat Apr 18, 2009, 07:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And, by the time you've paid to print all the pages, you've nearly paid for the book anyway.
Old Sat Apr 18, 2009, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

Agreed. Besides, it's one of the benefits members of our association receive. They get the OBR books every year, and for those young-ins in our group, we send them the Williamsport ones. You want to talk about difficulty in getting rule books? Try Williamsport's. It's easier to get gold out of Fort Knox!
Old Sun Apr 19, 2009, 01:00am

Did Triumph Books ever fix the problem with their cheap perfect binding? The pages tended to come apart in the edition I had last. I always liked the Sporting News' saddle-stiched version better. Those things took a lickin' and keep on tickin'.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sun Apr 19, 2009, 01:39am
Official Forum Member

Plus the Sporting News version was smaller and thinner--much easier to utilize. As far as the binding of Triumph's, I never had a problem. Perhaps it was certain batches like yours.
Old Sun Apr 19, 2009, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
Did Triumph Books ever fix the problem with their cheap perfect binding? The pages tended to come apart in the edition I had last. I always liked the Sporting News' saddle-stiched version better. Those things took a lickin' and keep on tickin'.
I preferred the Sporting News editions myself. I found the text easier to read in those as well as a better binding.
Old Sun Apr 19, 2009, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethPDX View Post
I preferred the Sporting News editions myself. I found the text easier to read in those as well as a better binding.
Agreed. The Triumph book is too small (narrow) for my liking.