The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 17, 2002, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Angry

I started coaching my son when he was seven years old and continued to coach him through legion. I believed, like most coaches, that I knew the rules pretty well, and in comparison to my fellow coaches I did. It is really quite an advantage over the other team if your familiar with "the book". After my son graduated I wanted to stay in the game so I began umpiring. I did jv, high school and American Legion. The problems began when I started coaching again, a local junior varsity team. I never questioned fair/foul safe/out etc... I knew that the jv level is a learning level for umpires as well as players. But the average age of these guys was well over forty and I knew most of them had been around the game for a long time. As a group they demonstrated a lack of knowledge of the rules, they showed little effort to be in position (hustle/mechanics) and their appearance was less than appropriate. They were there to get a paycheck and get out as soon as possible. In the three years I coached we won the conference each year and the worst record we had was 23 and 6, so this is not sour grapes. I observed 40 to 50 different umps during this time. Had I not umpired before returning to coaching I'm sure I wouldn't have made these observations. Thanks! Porch Dog
Old Mon Jun 17, 2002, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

Red face Really?

"Do ugly people really know they're ugly?"

Knowing the rules, being consistent, properly attired, etc. are all hallmarks of a good official . . . but the same is true in any profession or in life itself. There are some folks that make excellent coaches (because they work well with kids, have a passion for the game, cooperate with parents, etc.) but don't know squat about the rules or the intricacies of the game . . . and perhaps lose every game they play. But they're extremely admired by their peers.

Officials are no different. Many more are "professional" by your definition than are not. Percentage-wise, those that are out to get a paycheck for doing nothing, are few and far between. Even a blind man can spot excellence, just as easily as he can spot an idiot.

When I was a coach, I'd tell "my kids" . . . "You're mine for the next 2-1/2 hours. I don't want you thinking about homework, school, your girl friend or anything else. There's plenty of time for that, after the game. And I have one rule here . . . HAVE FUN!!!!! I don't care if you win or lose, but you better being PLAYING hard."

Now as an official, I have the same philosophy. The kids (no matter how old they are; I also do NASBL ball)deserve to have a contest officiated fairly, properly and to the best of my ability. It doesn't take rocket science or even a knowledge of the rules to have polished shoes, pressed pants and a clean shirt. That's all part of it too.

Attitude goes a L-O-N-G way, doesn't it?
Old Mon Jun 17, 2002, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
Sorry you rejoined the dark side! :)

You comments are well taken and understood. In my short time as an official, I have been amazed at the number of men and women who DESIRE to be the BEST official in their sport. They all tend to be very competitive and want to be good. They understand that coach will never be happy with them, but that their happiness revolves around being around the game, the kids and having their partner tell them "good call."

That said, unfortunately, not all officials fall into this catagory. I will not even to attempt to explain why, because I don't know why.

However, I am curious about a few things. Have you called the local association president and discussed your concerns (in a professional, respectful manner)? Have you gotten names and uniform numbers for the guys that are habitual dirtbags? Have you considered using a new association?

As an official we are taught to use preventative officiating. Surely the dark side hasn't removed this from your mind. Now might be the time to some "preventative coaching" and help clean house.

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Mon Jun 17, 2002, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Jumpmaster... The level of ball that I was coaching was C/D and is considered mid-lower level ball. I believe the quality of the officials was a result of their gravitating down to this level because they were unqualified to ump at a higher level. The AD was advised but chose to ignore it as he had used the individuals in the past and had them scheduled years in advance. As far as notifying the various associations I wasn't prepared to rock the boat that much. BTW there is some great C/D ball played in my area. We had poor umps because they where accepted by the various ADs year in and year out. I've since gotten back into umping. I, however, care how I am perceived and feel I owe my best to all concerned. I'm 57 years old and I know I'll never do the highest levels but I will continue to learn and work. Thanks, Porch Dog PS... a lot of the misconceptions coaches and fans have are perpetuated by bad umps
Old Mon Jun 17, 2002, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by Porch Dog

After my son graduated I wanted to stay in the game so I began umpiring. I did jv, high school and American Legion. The problems began when I started coaching again, a local junior varsity team. I never questioned fair/foul safe/out etc... I knew that the jv level is a learning level for umpires as well as players. But the average age of these guys was well over forty and I knew most of them had been around the game for a long time. As a group they demonstrated a lack of knowledge of the rules, they showed little effort to be in position (hustle/mechanics) and their appearance was less than appropriate. They were there to get a paycheck and get out as soon as possible.

The Number one problem in getting good young energetic officials for HS is the start Times of the games. Most people are still working at around the 4 PM Time range which is your average start time for a HS game with the exception of some Saturday Games and Playoffs at the end of the season.

Therefore in the assignors defense he /she has a limited number of bodies in which to work with. In fact many modified and Freshman Games only have one umpire scheduled do to the scarsity. Throw in some 3/4 days of rain and it's even worse.

Pete Booth
Old Mon Jun 17, 2002, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
Wink uh oh! Philosophy!

"a lot of the misconceptions coaches and fans have are perpetuated by bad umps"

- I couldn't agree with you more! Perception IS reality. I'll debate this premise another time.

"The AD was advised but chose to ignore it as he had used the individuals in the past and had them scheduled years in advance. As far as notifying the various associations I wasn't prepared to rock the boat that much."

- This comment brings to mind a lesson that was taught to me as a young officer in the army. Sometimes you must choose between the easy thing and the right thing. When you choose the right thing, it will not be easy, but it will make the difference.

Maybe now would be a good time to rock the boat. Bring a solution to the AD, sell it to him as "his" idea, walla problem solved! Talk to the local association, explain your concerns. In our association, you may see a Babe Ruth World Series ump (we have several) working HS AAAAA on Monday and a HS AA game on Tuesday.

If your supporting association is interested in their client (you), it would behoove them to listen to you. I am being overly simplistic here, but I am a firm believer that those that are content with the status quo are condemned to repeat the past. Those that push the envelope, while cursed by many, tend to make a difference in the lives of others.

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Sun Jun 23, 2002, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

As a younger umpire that is in his mid 20's, let me say that I am now back from a 3 year hiatus do to the fact that I have a demanding career and have to put that first if I want to feed my family. I worked my way through the ranks of officiating over the course of 3 years before I was assigned any HS level ball and was proud of my hard work and loved the experiences.

To Pete's comment about having that 4PM start time. RIGHT ON! My point is here that I wish I never had to leave. I so wanted to keep my status even though I had to change states and organization but I atlease may not of had to take 3 years off until I did my next game. Really the only reason that I've been able to start back up again was due to NSA tourneys and late LL games.

If there is any way that associations can start leveraging what say-so they have to get games schelduled so that working professionals can do them; my guess is that the talent pool of officials will get just a bit deeper.

Just my $.02 worth.

Tim