The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 22, 2002, 08:45pm
Official Forum Member

Question on "On Deck Batter"
In Major League Rules, it is correct that there is to be only 1 on deck batter correct? Also, does he have to wear a helmet?

I looked for a Major League Rule book on-line, but the page that use to go to is gone? Can anyone help? Thanks
Old Sun Jun 23, 2002, 03:35am
Official Forum Member

Here it is:

http://www.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/ba...s_foreward.jsp

By the way, ONE on-deck batter, must wear helmet.

Bob
Old Mon Jun 24, 2002, 06:54am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the web site Bob.

Could you tell me where I can find that information on the On Deck Batter wearing a helmet and only 1 on deck batter.

The reason I ask, is that here in Warren Ohio, we have a group of want to be major leaguers and they play by American League Rules. Well, they don't want to listen to anything any umpire has to say. Well, I threw a guy out the other day because he was on deck and did not want to wear a helment. He told me that this was not high school ball and he did not have too. Well I have him 3 options. Put the helmet on. Get inside the dugout or 3 go home. Well, he went home. Same thing happened the other day with 3 guys standing near the on deck circle. I told them only 1 and they did not listen, so 2 of them went home. Also, I am not getting very good support from the league with this issue. They say that they need to see it in writing before they can do anything. That is why I came here. Somebody has to know where I can find it in writing. Thanks All......
Old Mon Jun 24, 2002, 08:34am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue316
In Major League Rules, it is correct that there is to be only 1 on deck batter correct? Also, does he have to wear a helmet?

I looked for a Major League Rule book on-line, but the page that use to go to is gone? Can anyone help? Thanks
3.17 Players and substitutes of both teams shall confine themselves to their team's benches unless actually participating in the play or preparing to enter the game, or coaching at first or third.

Next batter is permitted; other teammates are not permitted in that location. It is called the "Next batter's box".

1.16 All player shall use some type of protective helmet while at bat.

Next batter is not required to wear a protective helmet.

mick

Old Mon Jun 24, 2002, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue316

NAPBL 1.1 (helmet not required)

NAPBL 1.7 (only one on-deck batter) -- this is sometimes ignored during adult / rec league games, depending on how many, what they're doing, whether the other team complains, etc.