The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 24, 2002, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

I am a Little League ump... but I think the ruling I am seeking clarification on applies no matter what level of play. Here's the situation( by the way this was the game ending play... so please let me know if I blew it):
Baserunners on 2nd base and 3rd base. One out. Batter hits fly ball to left field. The left fielder catches the fly ball. The left fielder runs with the ball to 2nd base and tabs the base for the 3rd out before runner at 2nd base returns to the base( 2nd base runner did not properly tab up and was attempting to return to base). However before left fielder tabbed 2nd base for 3rd out the runner at 3rd base ( after properly tabbing up) touched home plate to score the apparent tying run. I ruled that since the 3rd out was a "force out" at 2nd base to end inning the run did not score.
Old Mon Jun 24, 2002, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by oridrax
I am a Little League ump... but I think the ruling I am seeking clarification on applies no matter what level of play. Here's the situation( by the way this was the game ending play... so please let me know if I blew it):
Baserunners on 2nd base and 3rd base. One out. Batter hits fly ball to left field. The left fielder catches the fly ball. The left fielder runs with the ball to 2nd base and tabs the base for the 3rd out before runner at 2nd base returns to the base( 2nd base runner did not properly tab up and was attempting to return to base). However before left fielder tabbed 2nd base for 3rd out the runner at 3rd base ( after properly tabbing up) touched home plate to score the apparent tying run. I ruled that since the 3rd out was a "force out" at 2nd base to end inning the run did not score.
It wasn't a force out; it was a timing (and appeal) play.

A "force out" is only when the runner is forced to leave the base because the batter became a runner.

A "force out" is NOT the same as "tagging the base." You can tag the base or the runner on a force out; You can tag the base or the runner on an appeal (this is what you had).
Old Mon Jun 24, 2002, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Oops. A runner returning to tag up is not a force out. If the run crossed the plate before second base was tagged, it should have counted.

Was there no appeal? I would be shocked if the coaches for the offensive team did not go nuts on this. Also, where was your partner in all this?
Old Mon Jun 24, 2002, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Angry Thanks

Thanks for response. Hopefully my mistake wil not have any long term ramification for the 9-10 year old kids on the losing team.
Old Mon Jun 24, 2002, 10:09am
In Memoriam

Thumbs up Re: Thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by oridrax
Thanks for response. Hopefully my mistake wil not have any long term ramification for the 9-10 year old kids on the losing team.
oridrax,
Kudos for searching for the answer.
You now own the rule.
mick