The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 18, 2009, 03:11pm
Do not give a damn!!

Why would you pre-game a set of mechanics that your state or organization does not want applied?

Also we must keep in mind that there are not many variations in mechanics. Usually the mechanics involve where you stand before the play starts. After that we go where the play takes us and try to cover plays the best of our ability. Baseball mechanics are not complicated. At least with two person mechanics, one person watches one thing, the other person watches the rest.

Peace
Old Wed Mar 18, 2009, 03:43pm
Is this a legal title?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72 View Post
This is how it would happen with a PIAA evaluator in the stands (PIAA uses FED mechanics book as standard): ...

That's something how the convo would go (if that ever were to happen). I don't like it, but that's how it is.
That doesn't change the fact that the guy using the FED mechanic is to blame for the missed call. The PIAA evaluator might disagree, but given the circumstances he's wrong. The PU's mistake would have been conducting a pre-game based on CCA mechanics, not "missing" the call at third after having done so. That's assuming working PIAA playoffs carries more weight with him than than adhering to what was agreed upon in a pre-game, and if that's the case I'd ask him the question Rut raised.

Your particular play will no longer be a point of departure between the two before too much longer, I'm guessing. With the NFHS now having the base umpire make the call on the second play in the infield, I have hope that they'll soon move to the 21st century on this one, too.
Old Wed Mar 18, 2009, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
You have, presumably, an OBR rule book published by MLB. Do you work for MLB?

Same reason.
Obviously I do have an OBR rulebook, but I would never use an MLB interpretations rule book for non-MLB games. I have professional positioning manuals, but I cannot use them because I don't work professional games. You have to use what your organization tells you to use, or at least you should. I don't understand why they don't just stop making FED mechanics manuals if nobody uses them.
Old Wed Mar 18, 2009, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Why would you pre-game a set of mechanics that your state or organization does not want applied?
Agreed completely.
Old Wed Mar 18, 2009, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc6 View Post
Obviously I do have an OBR rulebook, but I would never use an MLB interpretations rule book for non-MLB games. I have professional positioning manuals, but I cannot use them because I don't work professional games.
Guess a lot of people here are wasting money on J/R, Carl's BRD, the Evans manual, etc.

Quote:
You have to use what your organization tells you to use, or at least you should. I don't understand why they don't just stop making FED mechanics manuals if nobody uses them.
And what we are saying is many local associations have adopted CCA or PBUC mechanics. There are entire states, like Oregon, that have done this. The NFHS does not have the power to tell any umpire association or state to use its mechanics.

They keep making Fed manuals because there are still places out there that use it. If you work in those places you probably are stuck with it until you convince those in charge there should be a change.
Old Thu Mar 19, 2009, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethPDX View Post
Guess a lot of people here are wasting money on J/R, Carl's BRD, the Evans manual, etc.
Including myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethPDX View Post
And what we are saying is many local associations have adopted CCA or PBUC mechanics. There are entire states, like Oregon, that have done this. The NFHS does not have the power to tell any umpire association or state to use its mechanics.

They keep making Fed manuals because there are still places out there that use it. If you work in those places you probably are stuck with it until you convince those in charge there should be a change.
Looks like the associations are now over-ruling the NFHS. It looks like a bad political struggle is at play here.
Old Thu Mar 19, 2009, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72 View Post
PA guys - we should submit something to "Uncle Marty" and ask him about changing the standard.
While we're at it, let's get him into the 19th century regarding uniform colors and white trim on shoes so that our rules interpreter can get off of that kick and on to learning rules he hasn't gotten to yet, like interference.

We enjoyed a 45-minute discussion at our last meeting about whether under Fed rules interference is an immediate dead ball and where runners should be placed because he "doesn't believe in the case book."
Old Thu Mar 19, 2009, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbeardedbryan View Post
While we're at it, let's get him into the 19th century regarding uniform colors and white trim on shoes so that our rules interpreter can get off of that kick and on to learning rules he hasn't gotten to yet, like interference.

We enjoyed a 45-minute discussion at our last meeting about whether under Fed rules interference is an immediate dead ball and where runners should be placed because he "doesn't believe in the case book."
Ugh, I hope that's not true! That's our state interpreter! If so, Uncle Marty might have to step down. I've only met him once, so you would know him better than I.
Old Thu Mar 19, 2009, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Looks like the associations are now over-ruling the NFHS. It looks like a bad political struggle is at play here.
There's no overuling going on. No bad political struggle. You obviously do not understand. FED puts puts out a mechanics manual, however they DO NOT mandate that it be used. Got it now? States and associations are free to chose a mechanics manual. Some choose CCA, some chose pro, some chose FED. We do not have a national play-off so there is no issue of umpires coming from different regions using different mechanics.
Old Fri Mar 20, 2009, 07:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There's no overruling going on.
Exactly. In fact, it's literally true: setting aside the FED umpire manual does not entail rejecting NFHS rules.
Old Fri Mar 20, 2009, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There's no overuling going on. No bad political struggle. You obviously do not understand. FED puts puts out a mechanics manual, however they DO NOT mandate that it be used. Got it now? States and associations are free to chose a mechanics manual. Some choose CCA, some chose pro, some chose FED. We do not have a national play-off so there is no issue of umpires coming from different regions using different mechanics.
Yes I've got it, but you don't need to say "Got it now?". That sentence has a very rude tone to it, and was completely unnecessary considering what otherwise was a good post.
Old Fri Mar 20, 2009, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

I would love it if PIAA would come up to speed on some issues. How about carrying the stopwatch on the field this year to make sure that pace of play keeps up. I think this one is going to carry a lot of difficulties.
Old Fri Mar 20, 2009, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
We do not have a national play-off so there is no issue of umpires coming from different regions using different mechanics.
However, the problem still lies in regional and state tournaments. Our organization started using the red book this year (apparently, they had their own set of mechanics before), but many other organizations use FED, or a hybrid version of their own. I've heard that some confusion abounds at the tournament level. However, it helps that the later rounds of tournaments are run as 3-man, so most have to learn the mechanics for 3-man together.