The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 12, 2003, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

I'm comparing two NFHS rule books: 2001-2002 and 2003-2004, so I'm missing one in the middle (2002-2003).

Rule 9-9 This section has been rewritten.

The exceptions are no longer there
2001-2002 included after article#1 & 2

EXCEPTION 1: It is not a violation when after a jump ball or a throw-in, a player is the first to secure control of the ball while both feet are off the floor and he/she then returns to the floor with one or both feet in backcourt.
EXCEPTION 2: It is not a violation if a defensive player who jumped from frontcourt, secures control of the ball while both feet are off the floor and he/she returns to the floor with one or both feet in backcourt.
NOTE: The exceptions allow a player to make a normal landing and it makes no difference whether the first foot down is in the frontcourt or backcourt. Only the player gaining pssession is covered by the exceptions.

2003-2004 now includes a new article #3 and no exceptions or note

Furthermore:
ART. 3 A player from the team not in control (defensive player or during a jump ball or throw-in) may legally jump from his/her frontcourt, secure control of the ball with both feet off the floor and return to the floor with one or both feet in the backcourt. The player may make a normal landing and it makes no difference whether the first foot down is in the frontcourt or backcourt.
PENALTY: The ball is dead when the violation ocurrs and is awarded to the opponents for a throw-in from the designated out-of-bounds spot nearest the violation.

At first glance the new rule 9-9-3 seems to adequately cover the previous two exceptions. Does anybody see anything new that we need to worry about?

Recognise that there is no team control during a throw-in (4-12-6) and that although the new article says "the team not in control," during a throw-in, legally, neither team is in control. So I think we are still covered for the previous EXCEPTION #1.

There is a new statement of penalty but that seems rather obvious.

I was at first surprised to find this change but then noted that it is listed as a Major Editorial Change... Duhhh.