The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Does this run score? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/51858-does-run-score.html)

TxUmp Mon Feb 23, 2009 07:04pm

Does this run score?

Not an actual situation, but a play that came up in a rules discussion - NFHS rules:

R1 at 3rd, R2 at 2nd with 1 out. B1 hits a fly ball to center field. CF catches the ball for out number 2, R1 and R2 tag but R1 leaves early. R1 scores easily and the throw from CF to 3rd base goes out of play allowing R2 to score. The defense makes a dead ball appeal that R1 left early, and the appeal is upheld. Do any runs score?

I say that the run does not score (even though it is a timing situation - not a force out) since the 3rd out was made on a preceding runner (NFHS 9.9.1c)

Did I give the proper answer?

UmpJM Mon Feb 23, 2009 07:09pm

TxUmp,

You are correct.

Also, lose the "R1 at 3rd" terminology.

JM

TxUmp Mon Feb 23, 2009 07:20pm

R1 at 3rd

I agree that this is bad terminology, but I merely used cut-and-paste to forward the question I was asked.

It probably came from an NFHS test, therefore the confusing terminology.

Kevin Finnerty Mon Feb 23, 2009 08:27pm

:D

I always re-word a confusing question and then answer the question the way it was supposed to be worded.

SAump Mon Feb 23, 2009 08:33pm

Where's the ball?

I understand that a verbal appeal may be granted, i.e. "and the appeal is upheld."
Yet, here the defense threw the ball out of the playing field.
The runner cannot return to re-touch 3B.
Can the defense make a dead ball appeal without the baseball?
I probably would make no decision until the ball was put back into play.
Shouldn't I wait until the defense regains possession of the baseball before granting an appeal?

Gaff Mon Feb 23, 2009 08:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAump (Post 582578)
I understand that a verbal appeal may be granted, i.e. "and the appeal is upheld."
Yet, here the defense threw the ball out of the playing field.
The runner cannot return to re-touch 3B.
Can the defense make a dead ball appeal without the baseball?
I probably would make no decision until the ball was put back into play.
Shouldn't I wait until the defense regains possession of the baseball before granting an appeal?

Why go through all of this. This is a FED game and a dead ball appeal should be upheld.

ManInBlue Mon Feb 23, 2009 09:07pm

You don't need a ball for the coach to say "hey, ump, he left early" - that's FED, man - dead ball appeal should be upheld. Runner can't return to touch 3rd anyway - a following runner has crossed home.

To answer the question (again) you are correct.

johnnyg08 Mon Feb 23, 2009 09:19pm

how about this? could they appeal R3 at 3rd base (alleging that he left early), then appeal R2 (who did leave early) for the 3rd out to nullify the run?

ManInBlue Mon Feb 23, 2009 09:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyg08 (Post 582594)
how about this? could they appeal R3 at 3rd base (alleging that he left early), then appeal R2 (who did leave early) for the 3rd out to nullify the run?

Yes they could make those appeals. No it would not nullify a run, because it is a timing play (no force involved) and R3 has scored prior to the appeal.

I am assuming you mean R3 had not left early, the appeal is not upheld, so they then appeal R2.

johnnyg08 Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:10pm

yep, R3 safe on appeal, then they appeal R2...I know that they can appeal (not sure that's how I phrased my question though)...but it does not nullify the run?

DG Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by TxUmp (Post 582561)
Not an actual situation, but a play that came up in a rules discussion - NFHS rules:

R1 at 3rd, R2 at 2nd with 1 out. B1 hits a fly ball to center field. CF catches the ball for out number 2, R1 and R2 tag but R1 leaves early. R1 scores easily and the throw from CF to 3rd base goes out of play allowing R2 to score. The defense makes a dead ball appeal that R1 left early, and the appeal is upheld. Do any runs score?

I say that the run does not score (even though it is a timing situation - not a force out) since the 3rd out was made on a preceding runner (NFHS 9.9.1c)

Did I give the proper answer?

Correct call, but I'm not sure what you mean by timing situation. R1 is out on appeal, and R2 did not score on a timing, he scored on an award due to throw going into dead ball so the appeal wipes out the award.

bobbybanaduck Tue Feb 24, 2009 01:51am

paaaaaaaaaaancakes. r1 lives on 1b. always. argh.

jicecone Tue Feb 24, 2009 05:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbybanaduck (Post 582638)
paaaaaaaaaaancakes. r1 lives on 1b. always. argh.

Yep, unless your in Fedlandia!!!!!!!!!

ManInBlue Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ManInBlue (Post 582601)
No it would not nullify a run, because it is a timing play (no force involved) and R3 has scored prior to the appeal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyg08 (Post 582612)
yep, R3 safe on appeal, then they appeal R2...I know that they can appeal (not sure that's how I phrased my question though)...but it does not nullify the run?

I answered that part too.

johnnyg08 Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:03pm

lets take this exact situation (OP), but the defense appeals that R3 left early for the 3rd out after R2 and R3 cross the plate. Does R2 score since it is a time play and not a force out?