The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 14, 2009, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umpmazza View Post
I hate to break it to you, but most of the D1 basketball ref are making more than a 1k... I know a guy who worked a D1 games at Bradley and got 2100 before travel and perdiem..atlot of guys are making about 3k+ doing games like Kansas U...
No, I knew there is a select group of officials making $3000-3500 per game plus airfare (which you can pocket any left over if it works out) and $200 per diem. This group and the fees are kept close to the vest, so to speak, as you well know. I was just using the article (something in print) about Steve Welmer where he said he made $1,000 per game and kept the return flight home pay for his trips since he just went right to the next sight. He also told of the $200 per diem. He may be in that select group of officials, yet he was just talking about a game that paid a lesser fee. Yes, I know there are some W-2's out there for $200-$300k per year and they get to write off any travel expenses and pay taxes on the travel expenses they keep.

Of course, the great Billy Packer (yeah right) of "the coach is 'working' the officials" fame, got this started years ago when he said the basketball officials should be making $1,000 per game right on TV. He must of had a bug put in his ear from some fellow officials he knew.

For years there was well known official that had a room at the airport hotel in GSO and just drove to all his games in the area, but was pocketing (and paying taxes on) the round trip airfare for each game in addition to his game fee and per diem.

So, yes, once again the D1 Baseball fee pails in comparison to the D1 Basketball fee (I can hear that economics lesson again) and it should be in line with the 'difference' in fees at the High School level between baseball and basketball.
Old Sat Feb 14, 2009, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
I believe that in addition to the contracted salary per level of ball, MiLB umpires also get a "bump" based on years of service. A four year pro working his second year in advanced A would make more than a third year pro in his first year in advance A. At least that's what I glean from conversations. Of course those conversations are accompanied by several bottles of amber colored liquid, so I could have misunderstood.
Correct, and I will leave with this, you can go to the PBUC website and see the range for each level under 'salaries'. The monthly range for AAA 2,600-3,500--AA 2,300-2,700--A 2,000-2,400--Short-A and Rookie 1,900-2,100. You can divide the monthly salary by 30 or 31 for the number of days in the months from April (not a full month so it is pro-rated probably),May,June,July, August, to see what their actual pay per game would be so you can associate that with the per game amateur pay. Yes, the more Senior umps in a league are paid more than the less Senior umps in a league.

Still, this works out to a maximum game fee of $116 (31 day month) or $112 (30 day month) for a Senior AAA umpire, which is pretty close to the $107 I used from the article I read which said a 'Senior' AAA ump makes 15,000 per year AA-12,000, A-10,000(I just divided by a 140 game season).
Old Sat Feb 14, 2009, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump View Post
The following statement is a continuation of an idea.

Shame has no place at the bargaining table.
I didn't notice anyone suggesting that it did.
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

Did anyone hear or see the list of guys who got picked up by PBUC? I heard from a reliable source that a guy who was 42 is going to PBUC..just wondering if anyone heard this. I do think that is pretty frickin cool.
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umpmazza View Post
Did anyone hear or see the list of guys who got picked up by PBUC? I heard from a reliable source that a guy who was 42 is going to PBUC..just wondering if anyone heard this. I do think that is pretty frickin cool.
John Grasso, I believe. Former policeman and firemen from New Haven according to the newspaper.

I wish him the best.
Old Tue Feb 17, 2009, 01:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
John Grasso, I believe. Former policeman and firemen from New Haven according to the newspaper.

I wish him the best.
I think that is cool.. I know they have that unwritten rule about being to old, I hope this guy can show them.
Old Tue Feb 17, 2009, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C View Post
There will be yet another retirement (in addition to Poncino) to fill an administrative position.

:-}
Back to the the first page of this thread. Any new news?