The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umpmazza View Post
are you referring to all of them wearing a watch, or some type of wrist band?
No, I'm talking about the guy copping a feel of the cigar store Indian.

And why is Barack Obama's picture on the barracks wall? Is this the new Guantanamo Bay relocation site?
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

I thought that was the young Orlando Cepeda.

Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

I'm sort of curious as to why the PU in that picture has red, but the rest of the crew has the navy blue shirts.

Personally, I don't think red looks that bad, especially with heather gray pants. I don't own one though, I just stick to the navy and powder blue.
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

You get the impression that the umpire in red came to the game on the short bus.

Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 05:33pm
Archaic Power Monger

The PU wearing red with the BU's in navy is something that the American League umpires used to do. This was not long after the AL and NL umps went to the pullovers from the Elbecos.
Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
You get the impression that the umpire in red came to the game on the short bus.
I was thinking more along the lines of a huge ventriloquist dummy.

Old Fri Jan 23, 2009, 08:43pm
Official Forum Member

[falling out of chair]
Old Sun Jan 25, 2009, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
Thanks for the link, Don. I really miss Garth on this board and I got a chance to read some of his posts again. Sad that he is not here anymore.
I think everyone misses Garth. However, since his son is in pro-ball, I would think it is best (IMHO) if both Garth and his son, ("if" he ever posted before) do not post to any site once Major League Baseball decided it was best to shut down Rob Drake's site.

I believe Rob explained MLB concerns over the site, and he fully agreed with their concerns (even though he was going to see if he could work out a compromise and keep the site up), and then shutdown.

It has been mentioned, that ever since MLB discovered Rob's website, his evaluations have slowly eroded. Coincidence(?), or are they just really looking over their evaluations extra carefully in anticipation of some possible openings due to injuries (Larry Poncino) and retirements when the new contract is signed in 2010.

It would be a shame if, Guccione, Drake, and Hoye who have all worked close to 1000 games( 7 years worth of full time employment) or more did not make it, but there were never any guarantees anyway (just ask Tom Lepperd). Hopefully, they just spent their expense money and put every dime from the game fees in the bank for the last 7 years in case they are not hired.

And while I'm on the topic, another contract will have to be negotiated for the AMLU after 2011. I would hope the College and High School umpires will not cross the lines this time if the AMLU decides they have to go on strike. If any amateurs want to see if they can umpire in Pro ball there is the Jim Evan's school and Harry Wendelstedt's school to go and try. Everyone has the same opportunity to try and get into the Pro game if they are good enough and maybe?? the WUA. Just because someone did not take the opportunity to try, is not a good reason to go and get involved in the MiLB disagreements between the umpires and management IMHO.

Besides, all the player's and coaches are usually under "gag order" from the office not to make any negative comments on the field or to the press concerning the "replacement or fill-in umpires". This also puts a tremendous strain on the regular amateur "assignors" and the leagues and schools they cover when umpires bolt for the MiLB just to try and prove they can call a "Pro" game.

Let's just say you can do the job. Big deal (that don't impress me much). Then get down to the schools and sign up. It looks like a full time "A" umpire can make about $10,000 for 140 games. That is $71 a game, and from post's on this board there are HS umpires in several areas making this amount of money. These AMLU guys are pro's, yet they are making less. Even the AAA guys are only making $107 per game. The D1 Colleges pay $200. So, to just try and prove you "could call at the pro level" does not make sense to me. Remember a coaches "good game" under a "gag order" holds no weight whatsoever and even if it did, big deal. There is a right way (go to the umpire school and make it and then start your quest) or the wrong way, by jumping into and interfering in someone else's business.

JMHO (from reading this forum and articles on the internet) to all of this post.

Maybe all the "red color" stuff started with the old AL maroon colors years ago.
Old Sun Jan 25, 2009, 10:14pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
That same guy has been selling those navy w/stripes shirts on eBay for about five years now. He's located up in the Great White North, so maybe it's a Canadian thing. I have never seen one down here in The States.

Personally, I don't think they look that bad- at least compared to some of the other oddball color combinations out there.
The person who sells these shirts is Heykid41, or Scott to those of us who know him. He is a member of this, and other umpire forums. He got rave reviews from some people, and nothing but grief and ridicule from the rest of you neanderthals on this site! They are around down in the States too, so it isn't a Canadian thng. They also were made in gray with red stripes too, if I recall. Scott is a really great guy, but I notice that he has broken down and bought some Official's Choice shirts. You can view his post on that thread.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sun Jan 25, 2009, 10:18pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post

And why is Barack Obama's picture on the barracks wall? Is this the new Guantanamo Bay relocation site?
Oh, please, please...can we relocate him to Gitmo? Please, please!!!!!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25