The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 18, 2009, 07:09pm
Official Forum Member

Baseball's Black Hole - Terminal Velocity

Consider the terminal velocity of a baseball. It has been mathematically proven to occur at 73.8mph. A knuckleball or curve ball released at 80mph may decelerate to 73.8mph over the plate. Are these "strange" effects sharply noticed at any other velocity?

Wind tunnel lab experiments confirm similar baseball terminal velocities between 92 and 94mph. A 4-seam, slider, cut or sinking fastball is released at 100mph and decelerates to 92 mph at the plate. A faster spinning 2-seam fastball doesn't decelerate or move as much. Are any of these "strange" effects comparable at other velocities?

The ball physically "hops" twice, at 73.8mph and 92-94mph in the air we breath. There is direct evidence from wind tunnel experiments available. There is indirect evidence available from MLB hitters and umpires. Consider it a decoupling in the air waves, similar to a sound barrier, around the baseball while passing through its terminal velocity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trajectory_of_a_projectile
http://www.100.nist.gov/curverelease.htm

Last edited by SAump; Tue Jan 20, 2009 at 01:36am.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Who else hears Rod Serling's voice?
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

It makes me want to sit back and take a breathe.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Too much physics for a Monday morning. The article you posted has no flow, it doesn't explain concepts, and it is just incomprehensible. Why can scientists not write anything in english?

Anyone who doesn't think a fastball can rise hasn't been calling a high enough caliber of baseball. The reasoning that because gravity pulls something towards the ground, therefore a fastball cannot rise, leaves out too many important facts.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"Anyone who doesn't think a fastball can rise hasn't been calling a high enough caliber of baseball. The reasoning that because gravity pulls something towards the ground, therefore a fastball cannot rise, leaves out too many important facts."
Oh cripes, now SA has another uniformed follower.

Mate, over the last 10 years this site (and others) have proven time-and-time-again that a baseball thrown overhand CANNOT rise.

And trust me (unless your an ex-major leage umpire that worked in season games) I have called a higher caliber of baseball than you my friend.

I hope no one else wastes their time answering yet somone who lives in the "mythical land" of the rising fastball.

~Sigh~
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Would someone, please, PLEASE, lock this thread.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Mythbusters busted the "rising baseball" myth in their baseball special a while back.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

~Sigh~

I saw the Myth Busters piece. I also read and watched at least 10 other definitive studies that show gravity does work.

I guess we'll always have people that choose to live in "Myth World"!

I especially like those that try to shout us down by saying we don't work "high enough quality" of baseball to have seen this.

Sad, just sad in a way.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

The "High Strike" Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornado View Post
Who else hears Rod Serling's voice?
I was strictly talking terminal velocity. The baseball does "silly things" at or near terminal velocity.

Pretty good "science-fiction" analogy posted by member tornado, both classy and intellectual.

Last edited by SAump; Mon Jan 19, 2009 at 03:10pm.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump View Post
I was strictly talking terminal velocity. The baseball does "silly things" at or near terminal velocity.

Key words in comment include turbulent flow, vortex channel, vorticity, etc.

Pretty good "science-fiction" analogy posted by member tornado, both classy and intellectual.

Do you have any idea what "terminal velocity" means?

Please stop posting this crap.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Do you have any idea what "terminal velocity" means?

Judging from his post, no, he does not.

ter·mi·nal ve·loc·i·ty
• n. Physics the constant speed that a freely falling object eventually reaches when the resistance of the medium through which it is falling prevents further acceleration.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Terminal velocity is the speed that a train is traveling when it goes right through a train terminal without stopping.

I can't believe more people don't know that.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tip184 View Post
Too much physics for a Monday morning. The article you posted has no flow, it doesn't explain concepts, and it is just incomprehensible. Why can scientists not write anything in english?
There's a simple explanation for this part. As for myself, I will trust Tim (and gravity).

On the other hand, he linked a Wikipedia article, so he must be right...
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

Once again who gives a rats anus-- and who gives a flying fornication. Next time we all need to band together and make sure there are no responses to a post like this, matter of fact, nothing personal (as this is directed at the post and not the person posting this), but I will not even open it to read. Let's follow Tim_C's lead. This type post is counterproductive on this site. It belongs on a physics post with Earl Weaver who I'm sure would be interested and love to hear all about it before he comes out of retirement or passes on to managerial heaven.
Old Mon Jan 19, 2009, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

I can seem to find the link to add someone to my ignore list. Has that feature been removed?
Closed Thread