The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 17, 2009, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

what size wv gold to buy

I want to thank you guys for all your help an I have settled on the gold after long thought but the sizing isnt just chest size I see it is coat size and I definatley dont know what mine is I am 5'7" 165lbs and my chest is 40 " but my coast size I am lost lol anyway I have had two different guys about my size they wear two different sizes one small and one M-L I just dont want to be dissapointed with the fit so what size do yo0 guys think

Thanks
Old Sat Jan 17, 2009, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Try on before buying

The chest protector is designed to cover a number of sizes. The harness straps are adjustable and you adjust them to wrap around fit. After proper adjustment and time, the chest protector should mold to your frame. Like wearing a new stiff product that becomes more comfortable over time.

Perhaps there is a sporting good store nearby. Chances are they only carry one size. Give it a try. If chest size is 40 regular, then size 42 or 44 coat should fit reasonably well. Like shoes, the numbers could be off a size or more but the adjustable harness will make up for any minor difference in size.
Old Sat Jan 17, 2009, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Great advice.

Go slightly larger (in this case: M-L).
Old Sat Jan 17, 2009, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

You need the smaller size that WV came out with last season. You will not need the bigger one. Chris
Old Sat Jan 17, 2009, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump View Post
So far we have S, M-L and L-XL(XXL).
The "smaller size" may refer to the M-L and the "bigger one" may refer to the L-XL.
Would I be correct to believe the M-L came out last season?
No there are three sizes:
S-M
M-L
L-XL

The "S-M" size came out last year. Looks like some retailers like Davis and BTL are no longer carrying the Gold for some reason - cant figure out why.
Old Sat Jan 17, 2009, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

so now I am more confused lol s-m or M-L ? got guys saying both and since I dont live anywhere close to a store that has these so I cant try them on before buying I dont want to order the wrong size
Old Sun Jan 18, 2009, 01:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl2207 View Post
so now I am more confused lol s-m or M-L ? got guys saying both and since I dont live anywhere close to a store that has these so I cant try them on before buying I dont want to order the wrong size
Im slightly larger than you and have the "M-L" size and like it. I would recommend the S-M size for you. Just remember one thing: The vest can & will conform to your body after several wears. So if it feels a little stiff or awkward the first time you put a brand new one on dont worry. My Gold fits like a glove and I cant imagine wearing anything else. I see the S-M size being perfect for you.

I think most guys are saying "Medium" in reference to the M-L size because it is in the middle of the 3 sizes offered...it is the "medium" size compared to the other sizes. Wilson should consider changing it to S, M, & L to avoid confusion I do think.
Old Sun Jan 18, 2009, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

first off, i wear the wilson gold, and love it, i have been trying too figure that out too, from what i read on these forums, the gold is the most popular of wilsons' hard shells, yet it is getting increasingly harder too find, not that you can't get one, but some suppliers seem too be getting away from it, maybe mr. kirk can chime in here and let us know what he has observed. i know i appreciate his input and why when i finally get my needs list done, ump-attire will get most of my business.

steve
Old Sun Jan 18, 2009, 09:02am
In Time Out

go to zebrasports out of alabama and buy the S-M for $99.00! it's a steal at that price and that is the size you want, we are about the same. you won't be sorry. they only have a couple left and what is the worst that can happen, you get it, put it on and hate it; send it back for a refund, all you are out is the shipping.
Old Sun Jan 18, 2009, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by tightstrikezone View Post
what is the worst that can happen, you get it, put it on and hate it; send it back for a refund, all you are out is the shipping.
Or, sell it on ebay for $100 and have the buyer pay for the shipping.
Old Sun Jan 18, 2009, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Or, the most likely scenario: Sell it on ebay for a modest profit. Used golds and platinums go for $120 minimum.
Old Sun Jan 18, 2009, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tightstrikezone View Post
go to zebrasports out of alabama and buy the S-M for $99.00! it's a steal at that price and that is the size you want, we are about the same. you won't be sorry. they only have a couple left and what is the worst that can happen, you get it, put it on and hate it; send it back for a refund, all you are out is the shipping.
Zebra Sports is no longer in business, as the Wingards grew tired of trying to run two businesses. They will be missed in this market.
Old Sun Jan 18, 2009, 12:48pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpduck11 View Post
Zebra Sports is no longer in business, as the Wingards grew tired of trying to run two businesses. They will be missed in this market.
that's funny, i just purchased a gold from them for $99 from their website and it is on its way, should arrive on wednesday. they also have a gold listed on ebay right now for $110. sounds like they are still in business to me.
Old Sun Jan 18, 2009, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

I ordered the s-m from Zebra sports sounds like a good deal to me now on to find me a good mask

thanks guys
Old Sun Jan 18, 2009, 02:13pm
In Time Out

okay, now masks are an entirely different animal ... do you want a standard mask or bucket style? double-bar or single? there are tons to choose from. west vest, honigs, all-star, diamond, schutt, etc. i use a west vest mask because that is what i am comfortable with and used to. but the possibilities with masks are endless. if you want a bucket then someone on here will be able to guide you in the right direction. good choice on the protector, let me know what you think of it.