The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 18, 2009, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Go ultra-light no matter what you choose. Diamond's new one is a pretty good answer to the titanium at less than half the cost. And the Diamond cage design offers a tab on top for a little extra skull protection. Wilson pads are better, though.
Old Sun Jan 18, 2009, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

I definatley want a standard mask most I have seen are single bar but a question I did have is the weight on a long day how much difference is one that weighs half a pound more vs one that weighs half a pound less , does that half of a pound add up to equal 10 pounds at the end of the day lol and I heard that low profile masks get more of the impact than the others is there any truth to that
Old Sun Jan 18, 2009, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl2207 View Post
I definatley want a standard mask most I have seen are single bar but a question I did have is the weight on a long day how much difference is one that weighs half a pound more vs one that weighs half a pound less , does that half of a pound add up to equal 10 pounds at the end of the day lol and I heard that low profile masks get more of the impact than the others is there any truth to that
Low profile tends to absorb a between-the-eyes shot more than the rounder traditional profile. A true between-the-eyes shot happens a few times a season, but for the thousands of other pitches, the low-profile definitely helps you track more pitches--especially in the low part of the zone. A slightly off-center shot and the low-profile spins off just like it's supposed to. So for a periodic straight shot, the standard profile gives you slightly better deflection, but takes away some of your view. It's a trade-off.

And if you do choose the silver diamond or a gray titanium, the lighter bars are less distracting than the black bars. Another thing about the weight: Every ounce counts. For the thousands of times that you are not getting hit, the lightweight is a wonderful relief to the neck. And the other benefit is that it's less of a strain on your arm if you peel it off a few hundred times. With the old mask, I used to have a sore arm the day after a game. Now, I don't. I never even thought of that benefit.

The $200 is a tough swallow when you start out, I know, but comfort and visibility should count for a lot.

Diamond silver= One game fee (H.S.)
All-Star titanium= Two game fees
Wilson titanium= Two and a half game fees

That's the way I justify gear purchases.

Last edited by Kevin Finnerty; Sun Jan 18, 2009 at 03:04pm.
Old Sun Jan 18, 2009, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

thanks for the info I have been thinking about the diamond but you among others say the pads arent all that good I was curious if you replace them and if so with what or just use them
Old Sun Jan 18, 2009, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl2207 View Post
thanks for the info I have been thinking about the diamond but you among others say the pads arent all that good I was curious if you replace them and if so with what or just use them
I love the calfskin wraparound pads that come with the Wilson titanium, and I was able to acquire two sets of backup pads from private parties.

The only ones I have seen available online that are similar are these:

The first time I upgraded my pads on my regular Wilson, I upgraded to these, which are all doeskin. The calfskin/vinyl two-tones above are slightly lighter.

You can order the Wilsons here:

http://www.btlofficialsgear.com/deta...&category=1471

Wilson leather wrap-arounds are the best I have tried at absorbing blows.