View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 18, 2009, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl2207 View Post
I definatley want a standard mask most I have seen are single bar but a question I did have is the weight on a long day how much difference is one that weighs half a pound more vs one that weighs half a pound less , does that half of a pound add up to equal 10 pounds at the end of the day lol and I heard that low profile masks get more of the impact than the others is there any truth to that
Low profile tends to absorb a between-the-eyes shot more than the rounder traditional profile. A true between-the-eyes shot happens a few times a season, but for the thousands of other pitches, the low-profile definitely helps you track more pitches--especially in the low part of the zone. A slightly off-center shot and the low-profile spins off just like it's supposed to. So for a periodic straight shot, the standard profile gives you slightly better deflection, but takes away some of your view. It's a trade-off.

And if you do choose the silver diamond or a gray titanium, the lighter bars are less distracting than the black bars. Another thing about the weight: Every ounce counts. For the thousands of times that you are not getting hit, the lightweight is a wonderful relief to the neck. And the other benefit is that it's less of a strain on your arm if you peel it off a few hundred times. With the old mask, I used to have a sore arm the day after a game. Now, I don't. I never even thought of that benefit.

The $200 is a tough swallow when you start out, I know, but comfort and visibility should count for a lot.

Diamond silver= One game fee (H.S.)
All-Star titanium= Two game fees
Wilson titanium= Two and a half game fees

That's the way I justify gear purchases.

Last edited by Kevin Finnerty; Sun Jan 18, 2009 at 03:04pm.