The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

umpire equipment

Hello guys I officiated football for the last few years now I think its time for baseball I have been looking at all the different brands of equipment so I thought I would ask for some opinions on what brands are good and what brands isnt so good and if there is a place you prefer to buy from I seen the thread about the combo pants vs plate pants which was helpful I see that with combos most guys wear single knee shin gaurd i guess? well I appreciate any help you guys would provide THANKS
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

I haven't found much that was "bad" in my days as an umpire. Here is a list of equipment that I have and a brief review of it:

Shirts - I like the Cliff Keen shirts the most. Smitty's "comfort tech" shirts are ok, but the local supplies store only sells Smitty, so I'm limited on selection.

Hat - Richardson hats are very good

Mask - I have the Wilson Dyna-lite mask and it has served me very well. There are lighter masks, but this one doesn't bother me and it's not that expensive.

Chest Protector - I have the Wilson MLU. I think it is the best value out there for a chest protector. If you buy one, you should get one that is hard shelled.

Pants - Smitty pants are fantastic. I've had my pair for about 3 years now and they are JUST starting to show some color fading. I had a pair of Cliff Keen combos and they lasted about 1 season before turning pink. Stay away.

Shin guards - Dime a dozen. Not really important which ones you choose. I have wilson shin guards and they work just fine (I cut the metatarsal flap off of it because it's useless with my plate shoes).

Shoes - I have the Tanel 360's and I love them. They are very light and comfortable. I also like the look of them (as opposed to the frankenstein Spot Built shoe). But there are many different brands of shoes out there to try. I have spot built base shoes and they are very good as well.

I hope this review was helpful!
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 06:22pm
Official Forum Member

Buy professional gear. Even if you have to save up a little longer, it will pay off in the long run.

First priority: Chest protector. West Vest Gold or Platinum. You won't go wrong, nor lust for anything else with these. The Douglas isn't bad, and I use one now and then with my plate coat. (Don't buy a plate coat until your five years into it).

Mask: Most of the West Vest single bars work great. Honig's single bar. The Diamond/Schutt/Pro9 etc. light weight is good IF you swap out the pads. I'm not sold on the low profile masks. I'd like the ball to defected from, instead of absorbed into my brain. That's just me though.

Shoes: The New Balance 450s are great plate shoes. Not nearly as pretty as some others, but very comfortable. If you can find a pair of +POS plate shoes, they will last you a very long time. The NB 350 base shoes are not too shabby either. An all, or nearly all, black athletic shoe with a sole with good traction is what you're looking for. No need to go overboard here.

Cup and supporter: I like the McDavid ankle legth tights, but have switched to the Shock Doctor brand for this season. The cup is all yours, friend.

Pants: Find out what color is used in your area, charcoal or heather. Every one is built differently, so it's tough to make a recommendation.

Shirts and Jackets: Ditto above. Find out what the locals wear.

Accessories: Black ball bags. Black belt. A good gear bag with wheels. Garment bag for shirts/pants/jackets. Several indicators. Spare shoe laces. A damp cloth in a ZipLock bag for cleaning off shoes in between games. A small key ring with just your car key on it. Line up folder. Several pens. (Most guys will put the pen in their front shirt pocket. Good idea, until it gets cracked by a ball, and leaks on your shirt.) The tiny pencils are cute, but not for me.

eBay, Honig's, your local sporting goods store can order most of the Wilson stuff.

Last edited by kylejt; Wed Jan 14, 2009 at 06:24pm.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 06:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
I will add that whatever you get, a few things to consider...

If you have a cap caddy from your football bag, use it for baseball.

Any spandex long pants you may have for cold weather games, if there is a cup pouch, use them! If you do alot of games, its easy to start rashing on your legs from the straps, particularly if they are hairy. Even in 95 degree heat, I go with long spandex underneath.

Check with your local association about patch placement for your shirts. I'm sure you're used to this concept coming from football.

Lastly, you NEED two hats. Your plate hat needs to have a smaller brim, at least 4 stitch. Otherwise, have fun taking a ball right off the cranium. The brim, if pushed up against the mask and if its hard, will give you a nice headache.

Some will say go a half size bigger on plate shoes. I'd just go with what you are comfortable wearing, if they are steel toed your piggies aren't going to get bit anyway.

I'm about to start a thread on a new reference material, but the musts are the FED and OBR books, and the JEA will be a nice addition for your OBR material.

Enjoy!
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

I was thinking about the Diamond iX3 cp because it dosent look as bulky but I dont want to sacrifice not being able to go to work lol so what are your opinions on this cp
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

Read your private message that I sent you. I'll send you a review and a cute clavicle injury story involving that very Diamond cool vest.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

Junk.

Buy pro gear.

Honestly, you might be able to get away with it for a while. Years even. But that one shot will get you.

I know it's half the price of a Gold, but trust me, TRUST ME, it's worth it to save up a little longer and get the good stuff. Plus, you're going to be paying the same amount in the end. Allow me.

Buy a Gold for $140, or a Diamond for $70. Use them for three years, and sell them on eBay. You'll get $100 for the gold, and $30 for the Diamond (maybe). Net cost is the same, and you've had three years of pro protection. Plus, after three years you'll want to ditch the Diamond for something else, so now you've got another expense. You'll be keeping the Gold around for years to come. It's not even close, brother.

Feel free to cut above part out, and show it to your wife.

You need to buy the New Balance 450 plate shoe one half size up. TRUST ME AGAIN. The +POS and Gerry Davis run pretty true to size, as do the NB base shoes.

If you want to save some dough, do it on the shin guards. I use Bauer hockey official guards, and the work GREAT. $10 at my local Play it Again Sports store. Just make sure whatever you buy fits with your plate shoes.

Last edited by kylejt; Wed Jan 14, 2009 at 09:45pm.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

Do NOT, I repeat DO NOT....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl2207 View Post
I was thinking about the Diamond iX3 cp because it dosent look as bulky but I dont want to sacrifice not being able to go to work lol so what are your opinions on this cp
buy that vest if you ever want to work above little league level.

I had that vest when I started because it looked protective, cool and was a good price. I took a few less than full speed high school level throws (I actually let some of my students who played for our high school team where I teach and coach football throw at me-pretty cool/stupid huh?) I felt EVERY ball they threw. I then put on a WestVest-original with adjustable sizing/velcro plastic plates and let them throw at me again wearing that. Never felt one. Wore the WestVest for a season and now wear WestVest gold. Never feel a thing, ever!

Buy the good stuff. It's your money, do what you want but if you ever wish to work higher level ball you will need better protection than that iX3, I promise and you will end up spending the money again. Why not spend it now, once?

Same for plate shoes-get steel toe and metarsal protection. I recommend NB 450 for lightweight and comfort. They shine up nice with liquid kiwi.

Just my two cents....your mileage may vary.
"We are the stewards of baseball. Our "customers" aren't schools, or coaches, or conferences. Our customer is the game itself." Warren Wilson, quoted by Carl Childress, Officiating.com article, June 3, 2008.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

yeah I understand I was pretty leary about it that is why I was asking about it before I spent any money
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

whats the main difference in the west vest gold and platinum
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

Then don't read your private message and don't email me and I won't send you the informative, time and money-saving gear review.

Last edited by Kevin Finnerty; Wed Jan 14, 2009 at 10:21pm.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

i went to my private messages and therer isnt anything in there
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

I can't believe that I failed to do a computer operation properly. It's the first time that's ever happened to me.
Old Wed Jan 14, 2009, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl2207 View Post
yeah I understand I was pretty leary about it that is why I was asking about it before I spent any money
I wish someone would have had this talk with me ten years ago. It would have saved me a lot of money on marginal gear.

More gear.

Undershirts. Depending on the color shirts you wear, you'll need a few. The Under Armour are okay, but you can get some others that are nearly as good, or even better. Me, I love the Adidas Climacool shirts. Not cheep though. My next favorite comes from WalMart. It's actually cooler than the UA shirts on me.
Old Thu Jan 15, 2009, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

Smile Updating my gear as well

Been a few years since I spent some serious money on gear and while I am not suggesting that you do what I did, here is where I got various things from.

I went with Honig's for most of the stuff, because they have always been pretty good to me.

Honig's
Shirts (Long sleeve Black, Short sleeve Black and Powder Blue)
Plate Pant's (their ML style one's, They fit the West Vest Shins very well)
Base Pant's (their ML one's)
Indicators (the 3 ball and 2 strike one)
Wilson Titanium Frame Mask
Tan Doe skin pads for the mask
NB 995 base shoes
Large Black Ball bags (theirs has pockets inside the bags for stuff, pens/line-ups/bruse/indicator)
Black Jacket with white over shoudler
Black convertible jacket the half zip one on the arm
Black Plate coat
Richardson hats (I wear 6 stich on plate and base)

Joe West's Site
West Vest Gold CP (my old one was purchased in 1997)
West Vest Shins (my old ones were purchased in 1997)

Lester's Upstate sports
Black Ankle length McDavid's with cup pocket (only place I could find em in the country in black with cup pocket)

Jim Evan's website online store
Travel bag on wheel's my old Honig's one has seen better days, and honig's no longer makes em and I can't locate a Swiss one at the moment

SOS Sport
Reebok-Low plate shoes (I am returning the same shoe to Honig's because a friend told me that these guys can get the same plate shoe in a EE width and with two pair of socks the regular width is killing me after 3 days of wearing them around the house)

Target
Black socks

Sports authority
Under armor

Have fun shopping I did!