The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 26, 2008, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Uniform and Equipment thread ...

Does anyone own this jacket?

Is it standard? (I don't remember any side stripes on the MLB ones with the piping across the chest.)

It says the sleeves zip off (to make it like a batting practice pullover). I saw it at our old friends at Official's Choice: CONVERTIBLE BLACK - '2 IN-ONE Jacket' Long Sleeve Baseball Umpire Jacket - 2

Are you ready? ... $27.50

Last edited by Kevin Finnerty; Fri Dec 26, 2008 at 03:34pm.
Old Sat Dec 27, 2008, 12:36am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
Does anyone own this jacket?

Is it standard? (I don't remember any side stripes on the MLB ones with the piping across the chest.)

It says the sleeves zip off (to make it like a batting practice pullover). I saw it at our old friends at Official's Choice: CONVERTIBLE BLACK - '2 IN-ONE Jacket' Long Sleeve Baseball Umpire Jacket - 2

Are you ready? ... $27.50
The MLB model does not have white panels on the side, but the sleeves zip off below the elbow like this one does.

I have always thought this type of jacket looked goofy on umpires. They look like barber or dentist smocks.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat Dec 27, 2008, 12:47am

Here is another real winner of a product from Official's Choice, that pilar of umpire gear sales worldwide:

Gee, hmmmm.....I wonder what all the fans and bench jockeys will compare the umpires wearing this shirt to.........
Old Sat Dec 27, 2008, 01:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
The MLB model does not have white panels on the side, but the sleeves zip off below the elbow like this one does.

I have always thought this type of jacket looked goofy on umpires. They look like barber or dentist smocks.
Honig's has this style of convertible jacket in their new catalog. I won't be buying it from either place because I already have a long sleeve jacket, and I also think the short sleeve jackets don't look that great.
Old Sat Dec 27, 2008, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Here is another real winner of a product from Official's Choice, that pilar of umpire gear sales worldwide:

Gee, hmmmm.....I wonder what all the fans and bench jockeys will compare the umpires wearing this shirt to.........
Easy there, Steve. That's the official official shirt of the Hershey, PA Little League.
Old Sat Dec 27, 2008, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp View Post
Easy there, Steve. That's the official official shirt of the Hershey, PA Little League.
Are you guys saying you don't want to look like a Chocolate Bunny out there?...LOL
Old Sat Dec 27, 2008, 02:39pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umpmazza View Post
Are you guys saying you don't want to look like a Chocolate Bunny out there?...LOL
No, I just don't want to look like poop!
Old Sat Dec 27, 2008, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No, I just don't want to look like poop!
crap I didnt think of that one.... I did buy one of there shirt.. I bought the white one with the black collar.. It looks kinda of cool. I bought 2 some my partner could wear one as well.
Old Sat Dec 27, 2008, 08:40pm
Official Forum Member

I was raised well, and among the things I was taught never to do is to wear a brown shirt or coat with gray slacks. So, out of respect for my upbringing, I guess I won't get to wear the brown umpire shirt.

DAMN!
Old Mon Dec 29, 2008, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umpmazza View Post
crap I didnt think of that one.... I did buy one of there shirt.. I bought the white one with the black collar.. It looks kinda of cool. I bought 2 some my partner could wear one as well.
How thoughtful
Old Mon Dec 29, 2008, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Hey, be careful there Pensaump...

I bought two of the white with black collars too. I already wore them this fall. I knew my partner for a scorching DH in September wouldn't have that color so I let him wear mine.

When I want to wear something I won't let a cheap *** partner hold me back.

A hint for wearing this white shirt though. A black undershirt or an undershirt with writing on it shows through, a lot.

It is very cool (weather-wise) though. I did both plates so we could get it over sooner (middle school fall ball-a terrible idea).
I thought we looked pretty good in them. No other umpires saw us to give a fair and balanced critique though.
"We are the stewards of baseball. Our "customers" aren't schools, or coaches, or conferences. Our customer is the game itself." Warren Wilson, quoted by Carl Childress, Officiating.com article, June 3, 2008.
Old Mon Dec 29, 2008, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

I did the same (ordered two of the white and shared them on a hot day), and the major gripe is with the black undershirt bleeding through. I will be wearing a white tee (I know, not contrasting) under it next time.

It is a good-looking shirt.
Old Tue Dec 30, 2008, 06:20pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorDave View Post
I did both plates so we could get it over sooner (middle school fall ball-a terrible idea).
Just curious, why do you assume you could do the plate quicker than your partner? Is he notoriously slow or something? You didn't just start right away did you? I always demand a break between games. I wouldn't dream of starting the 2nd game sooner than 20 minutes after the first. The body needs the recovery time and hydrating.
Old Tue Dec 30, 2008, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

Yep, we started right away....

The games had 1.5 hour time limits. The second game's teams were there, warmed up and ready. I am still in pretty decent shape for a 46 year old.

I regularly work as many as three to four plates in a day (six or seven games total per day on Thursday thru Sunday) in the summer during tourneys.

I know it sounds crazy but it still isn't as hard as the duty I pulled when I was in the Army at Fort Bragg. Plus, I love umpiring and it was middle school level fall ball. I cannot get better working that level.

Sad thing or crazier thing (depending upon your point of view) is that the day before this middle school madness I worked 8 innings behind the plate at a D1 college fall ball intrasquad at the University of Louisville. You want to talk about adjusting.

Call me crazy. It's okay, I used to jump out of perfectly good airplanes. I'm used to it.
"We are the stewards of baseball. Our "customers" aren't schools, or coaches, or conferences. Our customer is the game itself." Warren Wilson, quoted by Carl Childress, Officiating.com article, June 3, 2008.
Old Tue Dec 30, 2008, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Don't laugh. There are two young umpires in the northwest burbs of Chicago (who shall remain nameless here) who purchased these chocolate brown shirts and have used them on the field. They also have purchased and used the burgundy shirts.

They know, however, never to wear these in any games I assign.