View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 30, 2008, 07:12pm
Official Forum Member

Yep, we started right away....

The games had 1.5 hour time limits. The second game's teams were there, warmed up and ready. I am still in pretty decent shape for a 46 year old.

I regularly work as many as three to four plates in a day (six or seven games total per day on Thursday thru Sunday) in the summer during tourneys.

I know it sounds crazy but it still isn't as hard as the duty I pulled when I was in the Army at Fort Bragg. Plus, I love umpiring and it was middle school level fall ball. I cannot get better working that level.

Sad thing or crazier thing (depending upon your point of view) is that the day before this middle school madness I worked 8 innings behind the plate at a D1 college fall ball intrasquad at the University of Louisville. You want to talk about adjusting.

Call me crazy. It's okay, I used to jump out of perfectly good airplanes. I'm used to it.
"We are the stewards of baseball. Our "customers" aren't schools, or coaches, or conferences. Our customer is the game itself." Warren Wilson, quoted by Carl Childress, Officiating.com article, June 3, 2008.