The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation New Umpire School...O.U.T.S.

Hey, want some input about a new umpire school I just found on the internet...it's called O.U.T.S....Oceanside Umpire Training School...it's located in Cocoa, Florida...at the Cocoa Expo...nice facility...worked there a few times...anyhow...give you a quick synopsis...seems to have some unique ideas:

Two-week and one-week courses...room and board provided
Appears to be set up for guys looking to move up in high school and college baseball...it's not a school to go for a job in MiLB...
Instructors are half former pro umps and half college umps...
Owner is a ten-year veteran of MiLB...Bob Bainter...I saw him work once in the IL...pretty good umpire...never got the call, but we've all seen good guys not make it...but had a great reputation...
My favorite part is that students are going to umpire full games while being instructed/evaluated...you don't get that at a pro school...cool idea...

The website is www.outschool.biz...what do you guys think...? I'm thinking about attending...

call strikes...please, lord...call strikes

Last edited by Thatballzlow; Wed Jan 07, 2009 at 10:23pm.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds like Cocoa Expo has found a way to get free umpires.

In the past, new PBUC grads hung out and worked their games to pick up some bucks prior to rookie league start up.

Working "real games" at a camp is not all it's cracked up to be. Some games are really boring and you will get little chance to work on many skills.

The "camp games" used at pro schools allow students to experience many, many more situations and work on a more complete set of skills.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

I've worked at Cocoa in the past...met a bunch of the PBUC guys...I know that PBUC has a deal with the Coastal Plain(s)? League this year to provide umpires...so probably won't be as many guys this year after their camp...

I attended umpire school and I liked the camp games...you can control the situation for the umpires...I agree, sometimes the games at Cocoa weren't the greatest...LOL...but actual, unscripted games would be a different idea...I'll give the school a ring tonight...let you know what I find out.

Call 'em strikes!
Old Thu Jan 08, 2009, 01:05am
Official Forum Member

Thanks to whomever you are

Hey, thatballzlow! Thanks for the question on this forum. I didn't even know this existed. Interesting website. Someone e-mailed me and told me that our school was on this site, so I thought I'd sign up and respond!

Mr. Umpire, I am with you on the camp games idea. I remember when I went to Harry's school we had all those set up plays where they'd whisper in your ear "Hey, balk during this at-bat"...Trust me, that was the only time I've ever pitched. I didn't hit any of my fellow students, so I guess we all made it through ok. The idea of umpiring the actual games was just to give this a little bit of a twist. You can read all the manuals you want and hear all the "war" stories but it can never substitute for the real thing. And, believe me, I know some of the games aren't exactly going to be Florida State/Miami, but it's still a great chance to give some real feedback to umpires who want a chance to learn.

As for Cocoa getting free umpiring, I figured somebody would make a crack about that eventually. Jeff Biddle and the people at the Expo have been very good to me over the past 15 years, and when we came up with this idea, they were the first (and only) place I considered. If there is no real incentive for them to do this, than what would the point of having it there be, looking at it from their standpoint. That's why I'm putting my name on this post, because I won't hide behind any fake screennames. I stand by my staff and my ideas, and there will be always be doubters.

I know there has been a lot of animosity between former professional umpires and college umpires. Some ex-pros, even guys I know personally, think they're better than college umpires because they worked "in the game"...and I can't blame the college umpires who have run across these people over the years. Mr. Umpire, I can promise you this, no matter what people may think of me personally, I admire any umpire, from T-Ball to MLB, because anyone who has the guts to put the mask on is a friend of mine.

I appreciate the chance to post, and if you want to join, feel free, if you don't, feel just as free. We will succeed and hopefully bridge the gap in attitude that has happened in the past few years.

Thanks for reading,

Bob Bainter
Oceanside Umpire Training School
Oceanside Umpire Training School - Home
Old Thu Jan 08, 2009, 01:08am
Official Forum Member

Thanks

Hey, I appreciate the info and the honesty. I just might sign up!

Ballzlow
Old Thu Jan 08, 2009, 01:09am
Official Forum Member

Sounds like a good camp..but what about for guys that live way far from FL?
Old Thu Jan 08, 2009, 01:13am
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Bob

I know this is the first year for your camp,but have you thought about setting something like a scholarship up so that some associations can send an official or two for free or a reduced cost to the camp?

I'm stuck here in CA so unfortunately I can't attend, would love to however vacation and travel don't permit.
Old Thu Jan 08, 2009, 01:14am
Official Forum Member

Far away from FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umpmazza View Post
Sounds like a good camp..but what about for guys that live way far from FL?
I know the economy is bad, and trying to get across country on top of tuition might be difficult, but if someone wants to come, I would definitely check out Orlando Intl on AirTran Airways. They are offering up until the 15th flights around $89 bucks one-way, and for anyone flying in, of course, we will come get them at the airport, it's less than an hour away. I have some guys driving down from the NY area, and I know that when I went to Wendlestedt's, some guys carpooled, to save money...If you want anymore info, just give me a ring or drop me an e-mail, I'm sure I can figure out something.

And another thing, with the economy as bad as it is, I'm not opposed to a discount
Old Thu Jan 08, 2009, 01:17am
Official Forum Member

Scholarships

Quote:
Originally Posted by w_sohl View Post
I know this is the first year for your camp,but have you thought about setting something like a scholarship up so that some associations can send an official or two for free or a reduced cost to the camp?

I'm stuck here in CA so unfortunately I can't attend, would love to however vacation and travel don't permit.
I have seriously considered setting up scholarships...if associations have a few members who would like to come together then I would definitely do a package program with them. I can be totally honest with you, my largest expense is housing, food, and insurance, but I can work something out with anyone. All someone has to do is drop me a line or give me a ring.

Bob Bainter
Oceanside Umpire Training School - Home
309-363-9995
Old Thu Jan 08, 2009, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bainter View Post
I know the economy is bad, and trying to get across country on top of tuition might be difficult, but if someone wants to come, I would definitely check out Orlando Intl on AirTran Airways. They are offering up until the 15th flights around $89 bucks one-way, and for anyone flying in, of course, we will come get them at the airport, it's less than an hour away. I have some guys driving down from the NY area, and I know that when I went to Wendlestedt's, some guys carpooled, to save money...If you want anymore info, just give me a ring or drop me an e-mail, I'm sure I can figure out something.

And another thing, with the economy as bad as it is, I'm not opposed to a discount
The economy wasn't the issue as Plan tickets we not that expensive...LOL I was wondering about possibilities out side of FL?
Old Thu Jan 08, 2009, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umpmazza View Post
The economy wasn't the issue as Plan tickets we not that expensive...LOL I was wondering about possibilities out side of FL?
Oops...my mistake

There is a distinct possibility of taking this on the road to the west coast, but I am still in negotiation with a few places and have yet to reach an agreement...but hoping for a fall date...I will post on here when I have more info
Old Thu Jan 08, 2009, 04:08pm
I drank what?

Keep my email address if you get something on the West Coast

w underscore sohl at hotmail dot com
Old Thu Jan 08, 2009, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

Is that some kind of code?
Old Thu Jan 08, 2009, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

I hope it's code

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
I hope it's code for "future West Coast student"...
Old Thu Jan 08, 2009, 10:03pm
I drank what?

Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
If you type your email out exactly as you would to email someone there are bots or somthing out there that collects those for spam purposes. I get enough without helping them. Just write it down as you say it, no spaces.