Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 06, 2008, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Sending a "message"

Hi all:

The recent thread about the mens league prompted me for this post.

Have any of you ever "sent a message" or more commonly called an FYC?

If so what were the curcumstances?

Did it work?

What level of ball? HS / College etc.

FWIW, I have used the FYC call in dealing with both mens leagues and CBL (Collegiate Wood bat) leagues and it worked.

OR

You simply do not subscribe to the FYC call at all?

Thanks

Pete Booth
Old Thu Nov 06, 2008, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

I guess you could call it an FYC....

offensive team at bat leading by more than ten runs and still stealing bases and bunting. Game is out of hand and no reason to keep running score up other than stats. When I am on bases: EVERY remotely close play (as in ball gets to base within 3 seconds of the runner is an out. When working the plate any ball anywhere near the strike zone that doesn't bounce on the way to the plate or sail over batter's head is a strike against that team for at least the rest of that inning or until the BS stops.

I have done it twice in stupid summer tourneys where unqualified dads or wannabe zealots are coaching. I felt I owed it to them.

I did not hear a word from the coaches or players. I got a little bit of whining from the momma's. I don't know about you but I like my momma's a little bit pissed off. (grin)
"We are the stewards of baseball. Our "customers" aren't schools, or coaches, or conferences. Our customer is the game itself." Warren Wilson, quoted by Carl Childress, Officiating.com article, June 3, 2008.
Old Thu Nov 06, 2008, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth View Post
Hi all:

The recent thread about the mens league prompted me for this post.

Have any of you ever "sent a message" or more commonly called an FYC?

If so what were the curcumstances?

Did it work?

What level of ball? HS / College etc.

FWIW, I have used the FYC call in dealing with both mens leagues and CBL (Collegiate Wood bat) leagues and it worked.

OR

Thanks

Pete Booth
The closest I've ever come was when a pitcher in a major LL game was not even coming close to the plate. He was walking every batter. One came to the plate and said, "I'm just going to stand here and wait."

I called the next pitch a strike. It was high and the batter turned and looked at me astonished. Now that I had his attention, I told him that he needed to pick up his bat and be prepared to swing at the ball. I told him that he needed to show that much respect for the pitcher.

His coach understood. But I don't know that I would do it again.

Rita
Old Thu Nov 06, 2008, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C View Post
The closest I've ever come was when a pitcher in a major LL game was not even coming close to the plate. He was walking every batter. One came to the plate and said, "I'm just going to stand here and wait."

I called the next pitch a strike. It was high and the batter turned and looked at me astonished. Now that I had his attention, I told him that he needed to pick up his bat and be prepared to swing at the ball. I told him that he needed to show that much respect for the pitcher.

Rita
LL? I like it Rita.
Old Thu Nov 06, 2008, 01:20pm
Stop staring at me swan.

I've done it. Not very often though...men's league, in the Fed ball/american legion ball that I do...typically the coaches handle thier players pretty well. If a coach is being a prick, I'll eject him, it's not fair to penalize his players.
Old Thu Nov 06, 2008, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C View Post

Rita
Old Fri Nov 07, 2008, 12:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth View Post

Pete Booth
I hope I never allow a game to get so out of hand that I'd even consider it. If a game DID so badly out of control that I'd consider it, I'd hope I have the common sense to never actually do it.

And if I actually carried out a F$#@ Y#$ Call to a player, coach, manager, bench or bleacher section, I'd hope I'd have the decency to end my career as an umpire, for I have surely failed at any sort of game management or honor to the game.

Last edited by kylejt; Fri Nov 07, 2008 at 01:35am.
Old Fri Nov 07, 2008, 12:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Cub42
If

If in that situation, a check swing appeal or a balk call works
Old Fri Nov 07, 2008, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

FYC or Attention getting device

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt View Post
I hope I never allow a game to get so out of hand that I'd even consider it. If a game DID so badly out of control that I'd consider it, I'd hope I have the common sense to never actually do it.

And if I actually carried out a F$#@ Y#$ Call to a player, coach, manager, bench or bleacher section, I'd hope I'd have the decency to end my career as an umpire, for I have surely failed at any sort of game management or honor to the game.
Kyle:
I think there's a middle ground somewhere here between this position and Major Dave where as he stated, you wouldn't necessarily refer to it as a FYC as much as a "remember the expectation of good sportsmanship" we talked about in pre-game. During a long season, some coaches, players and parents forget that pre-season meeting whee that discussion was held, many time to rolling eyes.

I did it once this season. HS fall league game, kid is up last inning for home team, represents tying run I think with two on and two out. First pitch, FB no doubter strike, his team had not swung at the first pitch all day. He turns and says "that was not a strike, just letting you know" as he dropped the bat in mock disgust. That normally would have been a heave-ho. But given the situation, I let it slide but behavior noted. Next pitch, two balls inside, not normally in my SZ. Bang Strike 2. Behavior punished or FYC, whatever. But he's still in the game.

His coach was in the process of yelling to him, "You're OK, just takes one, etc." When Little Johnny decides he wants to take another bite of the apple and informs me "Blue, you can't just make the rules (SZ) up as you go along". Me: "Yes, but I am responsible for enforcing sportsmanship, You're done".

His coach had no problem with it, actually said he's done worse and gotten away with it, which is amazing. And players on his team later came over and apologized for his behavior.

Sometimes games/situations get out of control in spite of your best efforts and that's when you have to step in and enforce the rules. In my opinion, at that point if an FYC is required to get their attention, I don't have a problem with it's use. I just might put a different label on it.
Old Fri Nov 07, 2008, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

I only use the FYC call with teams that "get ot or should get it" That means no LL, or High School. I had a game where a batter didn't like a pitch I called a strike. The next pitch I balled when it came in at eye level. He was loud and sarcastic as the pitch crossed the plate. There were two dugouts and 17 players who knew what was coming on the next pitch. The catcher set up a foot outside and I rung him up on the next pitch for the third out. I ended up ejecting him but he was the only one who didn't get it.

The catcher of his team while warming up his pitcher said to me "some guys don't know when to keep their mouth shut." A couple of batters on his team made the comment "we're cool aren't we blue" I of course told them I had no problem with anyone else.

In my case it worked. I think I've only done this 2 or 3 times over the last 10 years or so.

Be careful if you're going to do this.........
Old Fri Nov 07, 2008, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Hop off your high horse. It has nothing to do with game management. If coaches or managers are giving you a hard time you dump them. Ignore fans as much as possible. If they're truly obnoxious and disrupting have game management eject them.

It has everything to do with players knowing there "place" and how they deal with you. That being said it should only be used rarely and the circumstances have to be perfect. It should, in my opinion, never be used in LL or High School. The players have to "get it" for it to be effective. If you don't know what "it" is don't use it.

I've used this perhaps twice in the last 10 years and yes it was effective and while working with a partner he used it and yes it worked.

This is another arrow in your quiver. Think of it as being in a glass case that has to be broken before it can be used.
Old Fri Nov 07, 2008, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Is the air thin up there on your high horse?

Also, "allow a game to get so out of hand"? Really? If I had known that it was me and my partner that let the scores run up, I'd have been doing stuff about it. This year, I had a 24-0 JV game; part of the problem was talent, but part of it was the weather - the losing team not only had some players 'called up' to varsity that day for the varsity make-up game being played, but the JV had played twice already that week. But I'm not sure my partner and I had it get out of hand.

Our men's league here has this idiotic policy of every team plays every other team, regardless of division, at least once. So I had the joy (on the weekend where they play a single 9-inning game, thus the 10-run inning is the 7th) of being part of a 50-1 score. As God is my witness, I'm not making the score up. And you know what? It wasn't even THAT close.

That's where I nearly got me a form of FY call. Game's out of hand, but a guy tries to steal 2B, for reasons only known to him. As I kept my chest to the ball, letting it turn me, I had already decided "if the infielder catches this ball, I'm getting me an out." That was even before I'd seen how close it might be. Unfortunately, although it certainly would have been close enough to get, the fielder let it get away - par for the course for that day.

Is that against your code of honor? Your mileage may vary.

Last edited by HokieUmp; Fri Nov 07, 2008 at 09:54am. Reason: edit to say "not making the score up." Words have meaning!
Old Fri Nov 07, 2008, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
[/QUOTE]

Kyle not sure where you are going with this.

It's one thing to say you have Not or will not use an FYC it's quite another to say
I have surely failed at any sort of game management or honor to the game

The FYC has been around for years and is not something new. IMO, it was more prevelant when I played because we played baseball every-day and had more baseball savy than the young players of today. As another posted mentioned we knew what "IT" was.

It was pretty much a "given' when I played that if you "pissed off" Blue you better swing at the next pitch no matter where it was.

here's another example:

Mens league game - 9 innings - mercy rule in effect after 6.5 or 7 (If HT is trailing)

95 degree day and we are approaching the 2.5 hour mark

Bottom 7 HT ahead by 9. B1 doubles. The next batter hits a rope in the gap between F8/F9.

My grandmother could have walked home from second base. R2 simply trotted into third base and stayed there.

The next 2 batters purposely got out.

My partner and I had enough. Both of us almost simulataneously said "Balk" awarded R3 home = game over.

It's one thing if the particpants are actually PLAYING the game of baseball it's quite another when they want to pro-long the game because they do not want to go home early and do chores (like mowing the lawn) for the wife.

IMO, it's not a technique used EVERYDAY but depending upon the situation it can be effective. It's not "cheating" the game or jeopardizing one's integrity as an official.

If you are uncomfortabel using it that's fine but do not say that any official who uses this technique is dis-honoring the game.

Pete Booth
Old Fri Nov 07, 2008, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member

Mens league game - 9 innings - mercy rule in effect after 6.5 or 7 (If HT is trailing)

95 degree day and we are approaching the 2.5 hour mark

Bottom 7 HT ahead by 9. B1 doubles. The next batter hits a rope in the gap between F8/F9.

My grandmother could have walked home from second base. R2 simply trotted into third base and stayed there.

The next 2 batters purposely got out.

My partner and I had enough. Both of us almost simulataneously said "Balk" awarded R3 home = game over.

It's one thing if the particpants are actually PLAYING the game of baseball it's quite another when they want to pro-long the game because they do not want to go home early and do chores (like mowing the lawn) for the wife.

IMO, it's not a technique used EVERYDAY but depending upon the situation it can be effective. It's not "cheating" the game or jeopardizing one's integrity as an official.

If you are uncomfortabel using it that's fine but do not say that any official who uses this technique is dis-honoring the game.

Pete Booth[/QUOTE]That's not an FYC. Not sure how a batter purposely made an out, but it would not happen twice.
Old Sat Nov 08, 2008, 12:49am
Official Forum Member

I've always considered "sending a message" a cowardly and C.S. way of controlling a batter, pitcher, team or game.

Bob
Closed Thread