The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 24, 2008, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Yes He Went, No He Didn't

You all know that I am not into bashing the MLB guys, but this is call is really questionable.

Baldelli takes first after the ump's strange motion - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia

I am not even going to question whether the batter went around (because in my opinion, he did)! My problem is with the terrible mechanics. We stick our hand in the air, fingers up then he points to 1st. Now everyone thinks that the batter is called out on the checked swing but wait! Now the 1st base umpire comes up with a "no swing" call because he thinks he was being asked.

Sorry, this whole new era of mechanics SUCKS! I will stick to pointing to the batter with my left hand and saying "Yes, you went!" then point the strike with my right hand. For a checked swing appeal, I take 2 steps up the line toward my partner (1st or 3rd) and point with my LEFT hand and ask, "Did he go?". I have never, NEVER had any confusion to either a swing call or a check call in my career!

And I am a Boston fan so I could care less who wins this!

Last edited by ozzy6900; Fri Oct 24, 2008 at 10:55am. Reason: Addition of opinion
Old Fri Oct 24, 2008, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Do not look to MLB umpires for lessons on mechanics. If you are an instructor, tell your students not to follow what these fellows do.

Haven't we been saying that for years here?

Last edited by kylejt; Fri Oct 24, 2008 at 11:05am.
Old Fri Oct 24, 2008, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
You all know that I am not into bashing the MLB guys, but this is call is really questionable.

Baldelli takes first after the ump's strange motion - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia

I am not even going to question whether the batter went around (because in my opinion, he did)! My problem is with the terrible mechanics. We stick our hand in the air, fingers up then he points to 1st. Now everyone thinks that the batter is called out on the checked swing but wait! Now the 1st base umpire comes up with a "no swing" call because he thinks he was being asked.

Sorry, this whole new era of mechanics SUCKS! I will stick to pointing to the batter with my left hand and saying "Yes, you went!" then point the strike with my right hand. For a checked swing appeal, I take 2 steps up the line toward my partner (1st or 3rd) and point with my LEFT hand and ask, "Did he go?". I have never, NEVER had any confusion to either a swing call or a check call in my career!

And I am a Boston fan so I could care less who wins this!
Ozzy,

Mechanics keep changing because the Umpire Clinitians need attendees which means money.

One of the many things I find interesting is this.

If most saw an UKNOWN umpire do this type mechanic, that umpire would most likely be inferred as a "smitty" yet we see some strange things at the major league level.

Pete Booth
Old Fri Oct 24, 2008, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth View Post
Ozzy,

Mechanics keep changing because the Umpire Clinitians need attendees which means money.

One of the many things I find interesting is this.

If most saw an UKNOWN umpire do this type mechanic, that umpire would most likely be inferred as a "smitty" yet we see some strange things at the major league level.

Pete Booth
I was surprised to see Kerwin Danley received a World Series assignment - Ive always felt his zone was inconsistent at best. His half ring up half check swing was just brutal. Regular season game Manuel would have been tossed no doubt in my mind.
Closed Thread