The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Appeal (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/49033-appeal.html)

Nigel Tufnel Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:36pm

Appeal

No outs. Batter hits triple and in doing so misses second base.
As the defense appeals, the pitcher throws the ball over the covering shortstop and into center field. Runner on third who hit the triple comes in to score.
Does the run count, even though this may be considered a play and an error on the defense? Or is this not considered a play and no err should be called while the center fielder throws back in to second?

canadaump6 Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:45pm

The appeal counts. An err is throwing the ball out of play.

griff901c Sat Sep 20, 2008 01:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by canadaump6 (Post 538279)
The appeal counts. An err is throwing the ball out of play.

Where(how) did the ball go out of play? A dropped fly ball is an error.Ball still in play....

How can the appeal count? You get one try at the appeal....throw the ball away...you lose...

Run scores....no outs.....next

griff

UmpJM Sat Sep 20, 2008 01:25pm

Since the opportunity to do so presents itself so infrequently, I would like to take this opportunity to say that I fully concur with canadaump6's assertion that, as long as the "errant throw" over the F6's head into centerfield does not actually go out of play, AND the defense properly completes the appeal of the BR's miss of 2B, the BR would properly be called out on appeal and his apparent run negated.

JM

SethPDX Sat Sep 20, 2008 01:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by griff901c (Post 538282)
Where(how) did the ball go out of play? A dropped fly ball is an error.Ball still in play....

I think he means "error" as in the OBR line "if the defensive team errs" (7.10).

But I think canada's right. In 7.10 it says the intended meaning of "err" is throwing the ball out of play. It also says the appeal is not considered a play, so I think F8 could throw back to F6 for the appeal at 2B and an out.

Rich Sat Sep 20, 2008 01:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by griff901c (Post 538282)

How can the appeal count? You get one try at the appeal....throw the ball away...you lose...

Run scores....no outs.....next

griff

Canada's post is 100% accurate. How the ball gets to second is irrelevant, as long as the ball is live and doesn't go out of play (or provided the defense doesn't make a play on R3).

griff901c Sat Sep 20, 2008 02:05pm

Not sure I agree...I still go with the one shot theory at the appeal.Throw the ball over F6 head...missed opportunity at an appeal.How many tries do they get to get it right?

Out on a 1-8-6 appeal?

griff

Tim C Sat Sep 20, 2008 02:06pm

Me too!

I agree with:

RichMSN
SethPDX
UmpJM
canadaump

I disagree with:

griff901c

As does Evans.

Regards,

mattmets Sat Sep 20, 2008 02:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim C (Post 538292)
I agree with:

RichMSN
SethPDX
UmpJM
canadaump
I disagree with:

griff901c

As does Evans.

Regards,

Can I get that bolded part framed? :p

griff901c Sat Sep 20, 2008 02:49pm

I stand corrected.

griff

canadaump6 Sat Sep 20, 2008 03:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim C (Post 538292)
I agree with:

RichMSN
SethPDX
UmpJM
canadaump

I disagree with:

griff901c

As does Evans.

Regards,

Quoted as a defining moment at officiating.com;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 538289)
Canada's post is 100% accurate. How the ball gets to second is irrelevant, as long as the ball is live and doesn't go out of play (or provided the defense doesn't make a play on R3).

Also quoted as a defining moment at officiating.com.

SanDiegoSteve Sat Sep 20, 2008 03:51pm

Even the blind squirrel gets the occasional nut! :D

umpjong Sat Sep 20, 2008 04:46pm

Griff is correct in NCAA rule interp. If a runner advances on a botched appeal play then there can no longer be an appeal. NCAA Rule 8-6-b (5b) pg. 98.

griff901c Sat Sep 20, 2008 06:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by umpjong (Post 538314)
Griff is correct in NCAA rule interp. If a runner advances on a botched appeal play then there can no longer be an appeal. NCAA Rule 8-6-b (5b) pg. 98.

Yes..Yes..Yes..thats what I meant...NCAA...Thats it!:rolleyes::D

griff

Rich Sat Sep 20, 2008 08:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by griff901c (Post 538324)
Yes..Yes..Yes..thats what I meant...NCAA...Thats it!:rolleyes::D

griff

It's interesting, actually.

The NCAA uses the word errs completely different from OBR/PBUC/Evans. "Errs" in that setting refers only to a ball thrown out of play. The NCAA clearly means something different.

I never consider NCAA to be the default rule set, though, even though I work NCAA games.

I find it to be an unusual rule, actually. I can appeal by stepping off and walking the ball to the base in NCAA. Why would the route the ball takes to the base be important?