The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   before we start (an equal opportunity post...) (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/48612-before-we-start-equal-opportunity-post.html)

Tim C Tue Sep 23, 2008 09:30am

Hehehehe

Quote:

"Umpiring doesn't pay that much."
True, but don't take such a simplistic view.

At my place in life money is really more of a function of score keeping rather than value.

While umpiring may not "pay that much" it does allow me to buy items that otherwise might not be of a high enough 'need' to be purchased:

Say a second plasma flat screen for my bedroom. Is it 'needed', obviously not, but when purchased with "mad money" it is a simple decision to make.

Regards,

MajorDave Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:18am

Why do I umpire?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim C (Post 538266)
I umpire for the game.

If you see the quote in my signature block, I think it says where my allegiances lie. I am in Tee's corner on this one. The GAME is the only reason I show up. Hell, the money is just a plus so the wife lets me go out and play.

Adam Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:31am

The best quote I ever read on this is:
Quote:

I don't do it for the money, but I wouldn't do it for free, either.

Emperor Ump Tue Sep 23, 2008 01:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MajorDave (Post 538803)
...the wife lets me go out and play.

Your wife lets you keep the money :eek:

I pretty much get mugged as soon as I walk in the door. Now that my wife has figured out how to use Arbiter she sees how much I'll be making and makes plans for that cash as soon as the game is assigned. :D

But seriously, I too do it for my love of the game and my passion for umpiring. I wouldn't do it for free, god bless those who do, but I'd never get in a situation where I found myself depending on my umpiring income. Once you depend on it for the money it becomes a job, I already have one of those; this is my hobby. I think of it like fishing or any other hobby while there's some work involved the intrinsic reward is so much greater.

MajorDave Tue Sep 23, 2008 01:35pm

No, she does not.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emperor Ump (Post 538847)
Your wife lets you keep the money?

I get to buy gear and gas and she gets the rest. I am okay with that. I have an all female household now that my son has moved out.

SethPDX Tue Sep 23, 2008 08:04pm

Well, I make enough to buy new gear and uniforms when I need them with a little left over, so that's enough for me.

But mainly I do it because I'm pretty good at it (I think;)), I want to get better, and I have a lot of fun.

Rcichon Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:25am

hmmm...

I got into it because I couldn't stand idly by while 'daddy umps' (untaught, unskilled, biased, mal-equipped spectators coerced into officiating because no one else will do it) butchered the game.

I remain in it because 'the game' has given me a view otherwise unavailable, the mad money which pays for petrol, gear and other tools of the trade, power ( I have a voice in decision making now) and additional credibility my training and experience level affords me.

Take away the mad money and I would probably do much fewer games.

FWIW

PeteBooth Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:45am

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by canadaump6 (Post 538734)
Umpiring doesn't pay that much.

Compared to "other' part time jobs it pays more.

Example: We all live in different parts of the country but here in NY we get $60.00 game on average to do a 7 inning game

Let's say you have a double dip which I believe most of get each and every weekend even during Fall ball.

Yes you have those marathons sometimes but by and large the games average between 2 2:15 with a 20 minute change-over

So for 5 hours you receive $120.00 or whatever the rate is in your area. $120/5 = $24/hour.

Not bad for a "part-time' job.

Pete Booth

Emperor Ump Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeteBooth (Post 539236)
Compared to "other' part time jobs it pays more.

Example: We all live in different parts of the country but here in NY we get $60.00 game on average to do a 7 inning game

Let's say you have a double dip which I believe most of get each and every weekend even during Fall ball.

Yes you have those marathons sometimes but by and large the games average between 2 2:15 with a 20 minute change-over

So for 5 hours you receive $120.00 or whatever the rate is in your area. $120/5 = $24/hour.

Not bad for a "part-time' job.

Pete Booth

Exactly Pete, add to this we can work when we want as well as the sheer enjoyment of it. If you took a part time position elsewhere you wouldn't get the opportunity to block out dates you cant work in arbiter or which ever other system, and I guarantee you would be hard pressed to find anything nearly as enjoyable.