The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 28, 2002, 02:52am
Official Forum Member

I was doing a Major Softball LL game today, by myself. It was top of the sixth, score something like 18-14, so I was pretty pooped by then. R1 and R2, no outs, Batter hits ball to F8- who of course is playing 10 feet behind 2nd. I see a force play developing, but with a runner rounding 3, don't move too far into the infield. So, keeping in mind I'm tired, and have runners all over the diamond, and frustrations over lazy Dads who wouldn't join me to do some BU'ing, I rushed my timing a wee bit. F8 fires to F4 at 2nd, I signal and call "OUT AT 2" as F4 drops the ball, then call "SAFE" to correct my mistake. But F4, standing on 2nd, bends over and picks up ball just a hair before R1 slides in. I stand there dumfounded for what seemed like 10 minutes, but probly was only a second or two, waiting for that Polaroid to develop, then loudly announce..... "SHEEES OUUUUUT!!" The offensive coach is saying, "GEEZ, its either one or the other!!" I sheepishly tell him, "Sorry about the bad mechanics coach, but I made the right call." I'm glad he didn't say, "Which one." I'll have to find out if anyone was videotaping the game. I could show it at an umpire clinic and get good laughs. Up to that point I hadn't made an out/safe call this year. I'm afraid I've just used up my quota for the season!!!
Old Sun Apr 28, 2002, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

"I was doing a Major Softball LL game today, by myself. It was top of the sixth, score something like 18-14, so I was pretty pooped by then"

Pooped in the SIXTH inning? On a softball diamond? WOW!!

Bob
Old Sun Apr 28, 2002, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Well, I do actually move out from behind the plate to make calls.
Old Tue Apr 30, 2002, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

In these parts, a "Double-Call" is good for a case of beer from the guilty party. I have never heard of a "Triple-Call", so we may have to make up a new ruling on that.
Old Tue Apr 30, 2002, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

Wow, a whole case?!! Thats a little harsh. But, alas, no partner in the game to pay the penalty to... the coaches?
Old Wed May 01, 2002, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Since ther's no partner to pay penalty to, it sounds like you get a head start on one heck of a hangover. Instead of eating the call, you get to drink it!

Jackie