The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 24, 2008, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Orioles vs. Yankees - Aug 23

I was watching sport highlights this morning and saw a replay of a controversial call in yesterday's game. An Oriole (Melvin Mora, I think) struck out on a dropped 3rd strike. He hesitated, and as the Yankee defense was leaving the field, decided to run uncontested to 1st base. Initially, the umpires allowed him to stay, but after a Joe Girardi argument, changed their call.

Did I see the whole incident?

What do you guys think about this?

I'm not sure who the PU was, but, on an unrelated note, was wearing a plate coat with the chest protector showing through, which I have always thought looks unprofessional.
Old Sun Aug 24, 2008, 01:24pm
M.A.S.H.

PU was Joe West. I saw bits of the play and I thought that he was ruled out when he left the dirt. Either way, I believe it was ruled correctly. Also, I think Dave Trembley was launched over it.
Old Sun Aug 24, 2008, 02:53pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanStanza
I was watching sport highlights this morning and saw a replay of a controversial call in yesterday's game. An Oriole (Melvin Mora, I think) struck out on a dropped 3rd strike. He hesitated, and as the Yankee defense was leaving the field, decided to run uncontested to 1st base. Initially, the umpires allowed him to stay, but after a Joe Girardi argument, changed their call.

Did I see the whole incident?

What do you guys think about this?

I'm not sure who the PU was, but, on an unrelated note, was wearing a plate coat with the chest protector showing through, which I have always thought looks unprofessional.
The batter-runner is out when he leaves the dirt circle on his way to the dugout. He can no longer change his mind and then run. This rule was changed a couple years ago. Before, you could run as long as you hadn't stepped into DBT.

Joe West, and most other umpires using a plate coat wear their coats directly over the protector, which is the "professional" look. I have always thought it looks very sharp, and is the way I used to wear mine.
Old Sun Aug 24, 2008, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

I do understand the 2006 rule changes in MLB. On that note, why did Joe West allow Melvin Mora to get all the way to 2nd base uncontested and rule him out only after Girardi came out to argue? Considering that the rule is a recent change, it should be fresh in his mind. Yes?

In response to the plate coat, exposed chest protector look: Yes, it may be professional, in that professional umpires wear it that way, but IMO, it looks like crap having the chest protector exposed. I suppose that's why, as umpires, we wear our chest protectors UNDER our shirts, and not over them. It's also why we button up our shirts (even just one button) to give a clean look. Not really the main reason for my post...just an afterthought.

Yours in fashion,
Old Sun Aug 24, 2008, 08:27pm

I don't know any umpires who wear their plate coat/chest protector any other way, at any level of baseball. Perhaps maybe LL umpires wear jerseys under their plate coats, but I've never even seen one of those guys do it either.
Old Sun Aug 24, 2008, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not suggesting that there is any different/better way to wear the plate coat, in that, that is how it has been worn for many years now. In picturing what an umpire shirt with a plate coat looks like, I can only think of the formal umpires of early - mid 1900s. All you need is a bowtie! But, perhaps the plate coat needs to go away. I mean, what's wrong with the PU wearing a windbreaker pullover behind the plate?

Fashion does evolve. Other uniform and equipment evolves. Thanks to evolution, umpires don't have to subject themselves to those awful burgundy coats of the 70s! Puke! And so, I will close my umpire fashion rant....

Keep it sexy....