The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 20, 2002, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

In 1964, I attended a game in which the Orioles, in one inning, got 4 singles and 1 triple off Yankee pitching but scored only 1 run. An old baseball book of mine gave an example of an inning in which a team could get 2 triples, 1 double, and 3 singles and still not score. However . . .

How about 3 singles, 1 triple, and 6 walks——AND NOBODY LEFT ON——but no runs?

In Fed, missed bases on force plays can result in accidental live-ball appeals. Intentional walks do not end the right to appeal, nor do intervening plays. Umpires must recognize that a fourth out can nullify a run. Therefore, in the spirit of reductio ad absurdum:

PLAY: After they hit singles, R1 is on 3B, R2 on 2B, R3 on 1B, with 0 out. B4 triples, driving in R1, R2, and R3, but R2 misses 3B. Coach orders B5 and B6 intentionally walked. F1 picks off B5 at 2B and B6 at 1B. Coach orders B7 and B8 intentionally walked. F1 tries to pick off B8 at 1B but throws ball away. B4 and B7 score, B8 goes to 3B. Coach orders B9 and B10 (originally R1) walked intentionally. F1 tries to pick off B9 at 2B but ball gets away. B8 and B9 score, B10 is trapped in a rundown between 3B and 2B and is tagged out by F5, who then falls backward and sits on 3B. RULING: Umpire rules R2 out on accidental appeal (fourth out) and the runs of R1, R2, R3, B4, B7, B8, and B9 do not count.

It could happen.

I guess B4 would lose his triple, though.
Old Wed Mar 20, 2002, 11:44pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Wouldn't R1's run count since he could have scored before R2 missed third base? So then only one run would count?
Old Wed Mar 20, 2002, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by w_sohl
Wouldn't R1's run count since he could have scored before R2 missed third base? So then only one run would count?
R2's out was a force out.

(BTW, greymule -- the standard on these board is to use the runner number as the base they are starting the play at -- e.g. r3 at third, r2 at second, 1 at first. We don't usually use the FED notation. Most even change it when they are quoting FED plays.)
Old Thu Mar 21, 2002, 07:46am
Official Forum Member

Angry I Dare You...

IF this ever happened and IF you are the umpire at the game, I DARE YOU to make that call. You would need to join the Federal Witness Protection Program and I can assure you that the Fed's would ban you from further officiating positions.
Old Thu Mar 21, 2002, 10:08am
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Re: I Dare You...

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Coyle
IF this ever happened and IF you are the umpire at the game, I DARE YOU to make that call. You would need to join the Federal Witness Protection Program and I can assure you that the Fed's would ban you from further officiating positions.
Why do you dare us to make that call. If it is the right call it should be made every time that it happens. Your comment makes it sound as if you might be a coach.
Old Thu Mar 21, 2002, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

If I'm going to be in the witness protection program, I'll have to be careful to distinguish between the Feds and the Fed.

Monday night the NJ interpreter reminded everyone that it is not our prerogative to ignore rules we don't like. However, as regards mechanics on an accidental appeal if a batter hits a bases-loaded triple with 2 out, misses first, slides into 3B safe and is then casually tagged by F5:

1. BU follows the batter to 3B and calls safe.
2. PU calls batter out on accidental appeal and disallows the 3 runs.
3. BU and PU race to getaway car and attempt to beat the mob out of town.
Old Thu Mar 21, 2002, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

That's my point...

First, I'm not a coach. I am an umpire but my credentials are not important.

Honestly, that call would take brass ones (although you wouldn't have them for long after the call).

I absolutely agree that we should enforce all of the rules, like them or not. However, if I'm going to call this one, R2 had better have missed third base by a lot --- if I'm the only one who saw it, I'm not giving the accidental appeal. Frankly, the action of falling onto the base is probably not understood to be an accidental appeal by 99% of the people involved in the game.

So, in the words of many before me, "Don't go looking for boogers."
Old Fri Mar 22, 2002, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Carl Childress
Quote:
Originally posted by greymule
In 1964, I attended a game in which the Orioles, in one inning, got 4 singles and 1 triple off Yankee pitching but scored only 1 run. An old baseball book of mine gave an example of an inning in which a team could get 2 triples, 1 double, and 3 singles and still not score. However . . .

How about 3 singles, 1 triple, and 6 walks——AND NOBODY LEFT ON——but no runs?

In Fed, missed bases on force plays can result in accidental live-ball appeals. Intentional walks do not end the right to appeal, nor do intervening plays. Umpires must recognize that a fourth out can nullify a run. Therefore, in the spirit of reductio ad absurdum:

PLAY: After they hit singles, R1 is on 3B, R2 on 2B, R3 on 1B, with 0 out. B4 triples, driving in R1, R2, and R3, but R2 misses 3B. Coach orders B5 and B6 intentionally walked. F1 picks off B5 at 2B and B6 at 1B. Coach orders B7 and B8 intentionally walked. F1 tries to pick off B8 at 1B but throws ball away. B4 and B7 score, B8 goes to 3B. Coach orders B9 and B10 (originally R1) walked intentionally. F1 tries to pick off B9 at 2B but ball gets away. B8 and B9 score, B10 is trapped in a rundown between 3B and 2B and is tagged out by F5, who then falls backward and sits on 3B. RULING: Umpire rules R2 out on accidental appeal (fourth out) and the runs of R1, R2, R3, B4, B7, B8, and B9 do not count.

It could happen.

I guess B4 would lose his triple, though.
And this "play" proves....
Old Sun Mar 24, 2002, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ref5678
Wink

just pray that it doesnt happen
Old Sun Mar 24, 2002, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Cool

Mr. Mule, You got too much time on your hands!!!
Old Sun Mar 24, 2002, 02:00pm
Michael Taylor

In the middle of all this mess, didn't the accidental appeal go away this year?
Old Mon Mar 25, 2002, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Taylor
In the middle of all this mess, didn't the accidental appeal go away this year?
No. (unfortunately) See 2-29-3

Roger Greene
Old Mon Mar 25, 2002, 05:39pm
Michael Taylor

2-29-3 is a force play at second. He crossed second then crossed back because he thought it might be caught. It wasn't and then it's a straight force out at second.
Old Mon Mar 25, 2002, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

It would also apply if a runner misses a base he if forced to and advances to the next base, or if the batter runner misses first. Read it again and go to the NHFS baseball rules interpertations. See situations 18, 19 and 20 (I think).

There are also extensive discussions of the accidential appeal in earlier threads.

Roger Greene
Old Tue Mar 26, 2002, 02:52pm
Michael Taylor

OK I believe I am semi wrong. I think it was stated that it was still there for a missed force out but not any other appeal. I will investigate and if I find out differently I'll post back. Thanks for reminding me.