The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 01, 2008, 08:51am
Stop staring at me swan.

Twins...Gardy ejection last night

anybody have the clip? it's not on the Twins site...maybe on the Sox site??
Old Fri Aug 01, 2008, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

It's available on MLB.com. I was watching the game last night. I'm not sure what Foster to rule that a swing, but in the end it was a moot point. Span (sp?) ended up getting walked.
Old Fri Aug 01, 2008, 11:53am
Stop staring at me swan.

I'm not seeing the video on MLB...there are a few other Gardy ejections on there...not last night's though...I don't care as much about the ejection as I do the actual call and what U3 was seeing.
Old Fri Aug 01, 2008, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08
anybody have the clip? it's not on the Twins site...maybe on the Sox site??
http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/...goryId=2521705

It shows the play in question in the clip above, but what it doesn't show is the shot I saw on ESPN this morning which was from down the 3rd base line. He was definitely pulling the bat back as he was trying to avoid being hit. Foster blew the call in my opinion and the ESPN anchors indicated that as well.

Last edited by UMPINSACTOWN; Fri Aug 01, 2008 at 12:57pm.
Old Fri Aug 01, 2008, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08
I'm not seeing the video on MLB...there are a few other Gardy ejections on there...not last night's though...I don't care as much about the ejection as I do the actual call and what U3 was seeing.
http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index...lb_1&mode=wrap
Old Fri Aug 01, 2008, 01:58pm
Stop staring at me swan.

thanks guys
Old Fri Aug 01, 2008, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not a baseball ump but i noticed that it appeared that the batter's leg was out of the box when he was hit by the pitch. Does that matter? His leg was towards the plate, and the only thing I could think of was that was why the umpire ruled as he did, if there was such a thing. Maybe you baseball umps could help on that.
Old Fri Aug 01, 2008, 03:15pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMPINSACTOWN
http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/...goryId=2521705

It shows the play in question in the clip above, but what it doesn't show is the shot I saw on ESPN this morning which was from down the 3rd base line. He was definitely pulling the bat back as he was trying to avoid being hit. Foster blew the call in my opinion and the ESPN anchors indicated that as well.
Well, that gives Gardenhire the right to come out, f-bomb the umpires, and almost start a riot. Yup. How dare the umpire eject him? He should've been issuing public apologies!
Old Fri Aug 01, 2008, 03:36pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckrog64
I'm not a baseball ump but i noticed that it appeared that the batter's leg was out of the box when he was hit by the pitch. Does that matter? His leg was towards the plate, and the only thing I could think of was that was why the umpire ruled as he did, if there was such a thing. Maybe you baseball umps could help on that.
No it does not matter where his feet were. He did not strike the ball, the ball hit him.

Peace
Old Fri Aug 01, 2008, 03:45pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msavakinas
Rich,

Not once did the guy you quoted say he shouldnt've been ejected. He just said he thought he kicked it. But look at it from Gardenhire's pov. Wouldn't you have been pissed as well?
I always wonder why the first reaction is rage. I mean, he didn't even take the time to look at a replay before deciding that the umpire was bending him over and screwing him.

After 20 years of witnessing these types first hand, I wonder why I'm still surprised.
Old Fri Aug 01, 2008, 08:39pm

Quote:
I have recently noticed your reactions in these kinds of situations. You never played? When you thought the umpire kicked one you didn't get pissed?
We all played. But when us older guys played, we were much less combative with the umpires. We would grumble and put up a little argument when we disagreed, but the only thing we were advised to say to the umpire after the game was "nice game, sir." If I would have ever gotten myself kicked out of a game for arguing, my dad would have kicked my a$s up and down and made me go apologize to the umpire.

The last couple of generations have produced more than a few who display a pattern of disrespect for authority, as evidenced by guys like Delmon Young, who slung his bat into the chest of an umpire, and many other shining examples of poor sportsmanship which weren't even heard of in our day.

Also, when one becomes an umpire, he/she must make a choice. You either embrace umpiring, and come at the game from an umpire's point of view, or continue to defend the rats. You can't really be an effective umpire sitting on the fence. Make a stand. Either you're an umpire or a rat. The coaches have a job to do, and that is argue and stand up for their players. The umpires have to approach the job as umpires.

Quote:
It doesn't make Gardy a rat bast*rd.
You're right, this isn't what makes Gardenhire a rat bast*rd.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri Aug 01, 2008, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Delaware Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
If I would have ever gotten myself kicked out of a game for arguing, my dad would have kicked my a$s up and down and made me go apologize to the umpire.
Sounds like what my dad would have done...
Old Sat Aug 02, 2008, 03:30am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I have recently noticed your reactions in these kinds of situations. You never played? When you thought the umpire kicked one you didn't get pissed? You never had a coach get dumped? I got dumped two years ago as a player and I was a catcher. That's never good for the umpire. And yes I umpired at the time. That was my only one though...

Maybe Gardy just thought hey alright I'm gonna go get dumped because it shows the players that he is sticking up for them and he honestly believed that foster missed it. Which he did. It isn't that big of a deal. Just a routine ejection. It happens and is part of the game. It doesn't make Gardy a rat bast*rd.

Now why is the first reaction rage? Because they are competitive. They care about their jobs and they want to win! It is why all of us played the game. We want to win and be the best. And when we (the umpires) kick one, that is taking one from them. Some just handle it better than others. That's why we are given the power to kick them out.
I'm 40. When I played, if I would've gotten ejected, my coaches would've suspended me themselves. My coaches never got ejected. We referred to the officials as "sir" and showed respect at all times. My manager would go out but was very careful to never, NEVER show the umpire up.

It's not that way anymore, and it's sad. Gardy's first reaction shouldn't be to throttle the umpire cause he thinks he missed a call. Do you ever see a manager go nuts over one that an umpire got RIGHT? Ever see an apology in print or on TV for that behavior?

It's a trickle down thing and it's not getting better. Now I see high school coaches come out like that: Hint, charge out of the dugout at me and I really don't care what you have to say, you're probably leaving.

Gardy's a rat *******. He's been tossed 5 times this season and 41 times in his short career.

Last edited by Rich; Sat Aug 02, 2008 at 03:33am.
Old Sat Aug 02, 2008, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
What is most puzzling to me about this fracas is that I heard on Baseball Tonight the umpires "went into the stands".

That's all I really heard, and I never saw a clip of it.

Anybody actually watching the game can shed some light on it maybe.
Old Sat Aug 02, 2008, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11
What is most puzzling to me about this fracas is that I heard on Baseball Tonight the umpires "went into the stands".
i watched this game. i didn't see any umpires go into the stands.