The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 13, 2008, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Is an appeal a play?

Sr. Babe - R1 + R3, 1 out. Flyball to F9, caught. 2 outs. R3 retouches and scores.

Defense is told to appeal to 1st base, but they throw to 3rd base. I am PU, signal safe. They then get the ball back and throw to 1st base. BU calls out, runner left early.

I scored the run (4.07 Approved Ruling). That is a whole different story though, coach wasn't too pleased and uttered the "p" word.

Is the appeal of 3rd considered a "play", which would make the defense lose their right to appeal at 1st?

7.10 doesn't mention it, only thing close is the mention of a balk being considered a play.

A TD mentioned that you used to not be able to make 2 appeals... is that the case? Only my 4th year.

But, more importantly, is an appeal a play or an attempted play? I say no, but would like a rule reference. Books are in North Carolina.
Old Sun Jul 13, 2008, 02:37pm
Archaic Power Monger

Tuss, per OBR 7.10:

Quote:
An appeal is not to be interpreted as a play or an attempted play.
Successive appeals may not be made on a runner at the same base. If the defensive team on its first appeal errs, a request for a second appeal on the same runner at the same base shall not be allowed by the umpire. (Intended meaning of the word “err” is that the defensive team in making an appeal threw the ball out of play. For example, if the pitcher threw to first base to appeal and threw the ball into the stands, no second appeal would be allowed.)
Old Sun Jul 13, 2008, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11
Sr. Babe - R1 + R3, 1 out. Flyball to F9, caught. 2 outs. R3 retouches and scores.

Defense is told to appeal to 1st base, but they throw to 3rd base. I am PU, signal safe. They then get the ball back and throw to 1st base. BU calls out, runner left early.

I scored the run (4.07 Approved Ruling). That is a whole different story though, coach wasn't too pleased and uttered the "p" word.

Is the appeal of 3rd considered a "play", which would make the defense lose their right to appeal at 1st?

7.10 doesn't mention it, only thing close is the mention of a balk being considered a play.

A TD mentioned that you used to not be able to make 2 appeals... is that the case? Only my 4th year.

But, more importantly, is an appeal a play or an attempted play? I say no, but would like a rule reference. Books are in North Carolina.
Try this one:
Rule 7.10

(d) He fails to touch home base and makes no attempt to return to that base, and home base is tagged.
Any appeal under this rule must be made before the next pitch, or any play or attempted play. If the violation occurs during a play which ends a half-inning, the appeal must be made before the defensive team leaves the field.

An appeal is not to be interpreted as a play or an attempted play.

Successive appeals may not be made on a runner at the same base. If the defensive team on its first appeal errs, a request for a second appeal on the same runner at the same base shall not be allowed by the umpire. (Intended meaning of the word “err” is that the defensive team in making an appeal threw the ball out of play. For example, if the pitcher threw to first base to appeal and threw the ball into the stands, no second appeal would be allowed.)
Old Sun Jul 13, 2008, 02:50pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11

The fact that the defense appealed 3rd doesn't take away their right to appeal at another base.

What is the "p" word?
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sun Jul 13, 2008, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Thanks guys. I read 7.10 when I got home - don't know how I passed over that one! Will read carefuller (if that is a word) next time.

P word is protest. 4.07 has that run scoring, appeal play on a failed retouch is not a force play. Time play. Coach didn't like the idea of that so he used that p word, holding up the game about 10 minutes.
Old Sun Jul 13, 2008, 08:02pm

Oh....that "p" word! I should really get my mind out of the gutter.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Jul 14, 2008, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Rcichon
Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Oh....that "p" word! I should really get my mind out of the gutter.
It's exactly where it should be...