The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 14, 2008, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelVA2000
The article did not say a player picked up a returned ball and threw it at Rich. This is what the article said: "After he rolled the balls toward the field of play, at least one McFarland fan picked up the balls and threw them at Fronheiser."
Rich Fronheiser is Rich Fronheiser. I expect most of us here thought the Fronheiser mentioned in the article was Rich Fronheiser, not someone else we never heard of.

You picking nits for fun or what?
Old Tue Jul 15, 2008, 06:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbide Keyman
It would be interesting to hear Rich's take, though that may not be the wisest move at this point in time.

An aside, after reading the comments posted after the article, how do think these "fans" would "like" guys like Tim C., Garth, Ozzy, or Peter Osborne ?

Or canadaimp6 for that matter ?
I've never really cared how the fans like me (or don't like me) because I am not there for them. When I played, I was working for my manager and team. Now I am there to officiate the game and that has nothing to do with the fans as they are on the other side of the fence. I am there to see that the rules of the game are held up not to make friends with and educate the spectators (as some umpires still insist doing).

Given the same situation, I don't think that I would have done anything differently than Rich did aside from returning the balls - yeah, that was not the best decision, Rich!
Old Tue Jul 15, 2008, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN

This league has a history of sweeping incidents under the rug. Dave and I were the assignors the past three seasons and we would not let that happen -- we pushed for suspensions and messages to be sent where needed. After last year we decided we would not reapply for the job for this season (we got paid poorly and had to put way too much time in it, especially with the lack of cooperation we got from the league), but would umpire once in a while for them if our schedules allowed. This was the fourth game I had umpired all season for them (in over two months of weekly games).

Rich the aforementioned has me puzzled (what else is knew) somewhat

You had problems with this league in the past pushed for suspensions and messages to be sent where needed BUT

still decided to umpire for them even on a limited basis.

My question? why even umpire there in the first place even if your schedule permitted it knowing that you had problems with this league in the past?

By no means am I condoning the behavior of this team and you could have been seriously injured (Thank God you are not) and hopefully something will happen. (keep us posted if you can) but why subject yourself to a league that you had problems with in the first place even though on a limited basis?

Pete Booth
Old Tue Jul 15, 2008, 05:19pm
Get away from me, Steve.

[QUOTE=PeteBooth]
Quote:

Rich the aforementioned has me puzzled (what else is knew) somewhat

You had problems with this league in the past pushed for suspensions and messages to be sent where needed BUT

still decided to umpire for them even on a limited basis.

My question? why even umpire there in the first place even if your schedule permitted it knowing that you had problems with this league in the past?

By no means am I condoning the behavior of this team and you could have been seriously injured (Thank God you are not) and hopefully something will happen. (keep us posted if you can) but why subject yourself to a league that you had problems with in the first place even though on a limited basis?

Pete Booth
Stupidity? Actually, some teams are a joy to work and have a beer with, but this isn't one of them.

Latest (in other words a rumor planted on the forum over there) is that the catcher got one game and I'm out of the league. Funny that the president of the league was still investigating today according to the email I got from him this afternoon. But it wouldn't hurt me one bit if that WAS true as I'll never work another game there.
Old Tue Jul 15, 2008, 05:45pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN

Stupidity? Actually, some teams are a joy to work and have a beer with, but this isn't one of them.

Latest (in other words a rumor planted on the forum over there) is that the catcher got one game and I'm out of the league. Funny that the president of the league was still investigating today according to the email I got from him this afternoon. But it wouldn't hurt me one bit if that WAS true as I'll never work another game there.
That is really a shame. I hate it when certain teams ruin a really otherwise fun league to work.

I had some great times with some adult league teams, like you said, having beers after the game with them, etc. One Mexican-American league team always invited us over to eat barbecued carne asada and shrimp cocktails after the game, which we cheerfully washed down with cerveza. And these guys would argue and complain during the game just like anyone else, but in the right way, not becoming big a$$es like some teams do. When the game was over, win or lose, good day or bad, they always invited the umpires over. I always loved pulling up to the ball yard and seeing that this team was playing. I knew I would be well fed afterwards!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Jul 15, 2008, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire
No. He's pointing out the ball was thrown at Fronheiser by a fan, not a player.

ah, so Rich was actually in danger of being hit, then
Old Wed Jul 16, 2008, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Rich mentioned a Youtube video but my searches proved fruitless. Any help?
Old Wed Jul 16, 2008, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

From the Capital Times:

“Fronheiser and Thom headed for their vehicles, but Fronheiser returned briefly after realizing he forgot to leave the game balls with the home team. After he rolled the balls toward the field of play, at least one McFarland fan picked up the balls and threw them at Fronheiser.”

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
If a player picked up a returned ball and threw it at Rich, why did the article not mention the chargess that should surely follow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelVA2000
The article did not say a player picked up a returned ball and threw it at Rich. This is what the article said: "After he rolled the balls toward the field of play, at least one McFarland fan picked up the balls and threw them at Fronheiser."
Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
Rich Fronheiser is Rich Fronheiser. I expect most of us here thought the Fronheiser mentioned in the article was Rich Fronheiser, not someone else we never heard of.

You picking nits for fun or what?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire
No. He's pointing out the ball was thrown at Fronheiser by a fan, not a player.

Thank you. That's exactly what I was doing.