The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 07, 2008, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaump6
Toss the "coach" as soon as you know he is encouraging pitchers to throw at the batter. People like that do not belong in youth sports.
I'd agree with you if I felt that he was having his pitcher throw at the batters. That wasn't the case. They were brush back pitches with a purpose.

Tim.
Old Mon Jul 07, 2008, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=Jurassic Referee]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth
Follow up question.......from the uninitiated.....

R3 steals home......would make it easily but pitcher plunks batter.....call?

If you felt that the pitcher deliberately hit the batter, would that make any difference to the call?
Sure. Dead ball, runner returns and pitcher is tossed. warnings are for uncertainty, if I am sure he hit the batter deliberately he is gone. If not sure, but suspicious, put a warning on the pitcher and return the runner.

I would expect the pitcher to throw a pitch a RH batter would bail on if a runner is attempting to steal home. The difference between a purpose pitch and a hit batter could be inches.
Old Tue Jul 08, 2008, 06:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
I'd agree with you if I felt that he was having his pitcher throw at the batters. That wasn't the case. They were brush back pitches with a purpose.

Tim.
I agree with Tim. there is a big difference with a pitcher brushing back a batter as opposed to a pitcher throwing at the batter.
Old Tue Jul 08, 2008, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900
I agree with Tim. there is a big difference with a pitcher brushing back a batter as opposed to a pitcher throwing at the batter.
Should this Little League "coach" even be teaching his players to brush back batters? His only motivation behind doing it was to get a cheap interference call. To me that is abusing the rules of the game. Sadly there is no rule that covers his sleazy tactics, but I know I would have a VERY short leash on him for any arguments over interference.
Old Tue Jul 08, 2008, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Should this Little League "coach" even be teaching his players to brush back batters? His only motivation behind doing it was to get a cheap interference call. To me that is abusing the rules of the game. Sadly there is no rule that covers his sleazy tactics, but I know I would have a VERY short leash on him for any arguments over interference.
Not that it matters for the purposes of this discussion, but this was a 16-18 Babe Ruth game.

Tim.
Old Tue Jul 08, 2008, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I didn't think that it was LL as the throw down to F5 was for a pick-off (leading off is not allowed in LL). As far as drawing the INT call, once you as the umpire read what is going on, you simply make sure that if there really is INT, you call it. Obviously, the benefit of the doubt will go to the batter who is trying to avoid the pitch. And again, if the DC has a problem you simply remind the Rat that if his pitcher would keep the ball out of the batter's box, the batter would not have to avoid the pitch. One and only one reminder of that sort would be all that I would give. After that, the DC is treading on very thin ice.
Old Tue Jul 08, 2008, 05:39pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900
I didn't think that it was LL as the throw down to F5 was for a pick-off (leading off is not allowed in LL).
Well, F2's in LL still throw down to pick off R3's, who can and usually do run down the line as soon as the ball reaches the batter. The fact that they can't lead off is irrelevant.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Jul 08, 2008, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
In fact, this particular move used to drive me absolutely INSANE!! They would do it over and over and over and over again, they would do it until they sailed one over F5's head and they would stop for a while. I never, ever saw an R3 put out on that play from F2.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.