The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 07, 2008, 07:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
What a Ploy.......

Last night during the first few innings of my game, every time the home team would allow a runner to get to third, one or two pitches to the next batter were thrown clearly inside the lines of the batters box in what I was sure was an attempt to drive the batter back out of the box. Each time, the batter would bail out to avoid the pitch. Then the catcher would come up and attempt a throw to pick off R3. Every time this happened, the rat b@$t@d manager would argue for an INT call because the batter stepped back. There was no doubt from the way he argued the rule that he knew the rule well and that this was a designed ploy to draw an INT call. It took me by surprise, and I'm curious how you all would have handled it.

Tim.
Old Mon Jul 07, 2008, 07:14am
Official Forum Member

I'd tell him the batter is allowed to get out of the way of the pitch. In fact, he is required to do so.
Old Mon Jul 07, 2008, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

I'd tell the coach the batter had two options on the pitch:
1) Stand in the box and get hit or
2) Step back and avoid the pitch

The batter made the correct decision, what is the issue again??
Old Mon Jul 07, 2008, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

How close were you to ejecting the manager?

The third time I heard that from the dugout, the manager goes. Did you think about doing that, or something else to get the rat to quiet down?
Old Mon Jul 07, 2008, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
Last night during the first few innings of my game, every time the home team would allow a runner to get to third, one or two pitches to the next batter were thrown clearly inside the lines of the batters box in what I was sure was an attempt to drive the batter back out of the box.
By clearly inside do you mean a deliberate attempt to hit the batter.? Sure sounds like it and you could have a "nightmare" on your hands

If this was done continuous then I would probably warn both teams at this point before something "ugly" happens.

If this team was constantly throwing the ball CLEARLY inside it is a matter of time before the "other" teams F1 "plunks" someone. I have seen it happen.

I am not saying that F1 does not have the right to pitch inside but from your OP it doesn't sound like F1 was merely pitching inside but throwing a "purpose" pitch which could lead to trouble.

Pete Booth
Old Mon Jul 07, 2008, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
They were definitely "purpose" pitches, Pete. The first couple of times it happened I simply told him that in my judgment there was no interference. Later, he came out to "explain" to me that if the batter doesn't stay still in the box and makes any other movement, including stepping out of the box, that he's interfered. I then told him that if there was one more instance of him trying to draw an INT call this way, I'd eject him and his pitcher.

Tim.

Last edited by BigUmp56; Mon Jul 07, 2008 at 09:40pm.
Old Mon Jul 07, 2008, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Quote:
... I then told him that if there was one more instance of him trying to draw an INT call this way, I'd eject him and his pitcher.

Tim.
Good call, Tim.

JM
Old Mon Jul 07, 2008, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Last night during the first few innings of my game, every time the home team would allow a runner to get to third, one or two pitches to the next batter were thrown clearly inside the lines of the batters box in what I was sure was an attempt to drive the batter back out of the box. Each time, the batter would bail out to avoid the pitch. Then the catcher would come up and attempt a throw to pick off R3. Every time this happened, the rat b@$t@d manager would argue for an INT call because the batter stepped back. There was no doubt from the way he argued the rule that he knew the rule well and that this was a designed ploy to draw an INT call. It took me by surprise, and I'm curious how you all would have handled it.

Tim.
"Hey coach, if your pitcher would keep the ball out of the batter's box, that wouldn't happen!"
Old Mon Jul 07, 2008, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Tim, you handled it properly, warn then eject. It has been my experience that if you ignore something as serious as this, things will eventually become unmanagable. As one of our most famous umpires, Barnie Fife would say, "nip it in the bud, Andy!"

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Mon Jul 07, 2008, 01:15pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
They were definitely "purpose" pitches, Pete. The first couple of times it happened I simply told him that in my judgment there was no interference. Later, when he came out to "explain" to me that if the batter doesn't stay still in the box and makes any other movement, including stepping out of the box, that he's interfered. I then told him that if there was one more instance of him trying to draw an INT call this way, I'd eject him and his pitcher.

Tim.
Good call, Tim.
Ordering the throw at the batter was a deliberate unsporting act.
Old Mon Jul 07, 2008, 01:44pm
In Memoriam

[QUOTE=PeteBooth]
Quote:

By clearly inside do you mean a deliberate attempt to hit the batter.? Sure sounds like it and you could have a "nightmare" on your hands

I am not saying that F1 does not have the right to pitch inside but from your OP it doesn't sound like F1 was merely pitching inside but throwing a "purpose" pitch which could lead to trouble.
Follow up question.......from the uninitiated.....

R3 steals home......would make it easily but pitcher plunks batter.....call?

If you felt that the pitcher deliberately hit the batter, would that make any difference to the call?
Old Mon Jul 07, 2008, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=Jurassic Referee]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth

If you felt that the pitcher deliberately hit the batter, would that make any difference to the call?
Ball is dead, BR to first, R3 returns.

How many times do you think they'll try this?
Old Mon Jul 07, 2008, 02:29pm
In Memoriam

[quote=Jurassic Referee]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth

Hard to imagine, JR.
If the runner will make it easily, then the runner beat the ball and prolly scored before the pitch plunked the batter. No?
...Or else the catcher plays the runner, or the batter interferes ?
Old Mon Jul 07, 2008, 03:33pm
In Memoriam

[QUOTE=mick]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee

Hard to imagine, JR.
If the runner will make it easily, then the runner beat the ball and prolly scored before the pitch plunked the batter. No?
...Or else the catcher plays the runner, or the batter interferes ?
Mick, iirc that exact play happened in a Yankees game in the 70's. The pitcher went to a full windup and they sent the runner. He admitted after that they already had a play set up for situations like that with right-handed batters. They throw at the hitter. If they hit him, fine. Men on first and third but no run. If they missed the batter, it still usually made the batter bail out and gave the catcher a clearer, easier shot at the runner.
Old Mon Jul 07, 2008, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

Toss the "coach" as soon as you know he is encouraging pitchers to throw at the batter. People like that do not belong in youth sports.