The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 02, 2008, 08:40pm
Official Forum Member

Umpiring Vid

http://www.youtube.com/user/umpire1111

I have finally got some real game footage of me umpiring. It's a bush league level of ball but it was the only time I was able to get someone to videotape me. Comments are always appreciated. I will try and get some footage of me doing bases and/or calling a better level of ball eventually.
Old Wed Jul 02, 2008, 09:21pm
rei

You need to learn how to take your mask off properly!
Old Wed Jul 02, 2008, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

Commentary on your Youtube vids

1. Stance is fine. Good balance, head height is high enough. timing looks good. a little stiff when coming set but nothing wrong with that so long as you are set before the pitch is released. Cannot tell but your timing looks like you are seeing the ball all the way to the mitt. Good pointing the ball back in play after the foul ball.

2. Why do you take mask off with both hands? Nothing wrong with it but it looks awkward to me. Do you have the mask straps loose enough to allow mask to pull out from chin and lift off your head with left hand only and still keep you hat on your head? Is your hat a four, six or eight seam hat? It doesn't matter but it will definitely be harder to remove mask with one hand over an eight stitch hat. Attach the side straps to the ear protector loops that stick out instead of inside. It will assist in removal.

3. I know a lot of umpires point on strikes. I still have not decided which I like-the point or the hammer but I do know that in two-man crews it is best to keep your eyes on the field of play instead of looking at your point when calling strikes, especially with runners on the bases.

4. It looked like you were having to search for strikes with that pitcher. I have had some games like that but fortunately not lately.

You are obviously young in age but committed to becoming better. I still have not had anyone video tape my work yet. My wife will not come to my games for fear of fighting with some of the loud mouth moms. I am going to Tony Thompson's International Umpires camp in October and they video tape there. Keep working hard and trying to get better every day. Do you read rules books and rules commentary such as The BRD and Jaksa/Roder? I found that once I really knew the rules the mechanics came easier. I wasn't trying to think so much. Also work as many games as you can and stick to good mechanics no matter how bad the baseball is.
"We are the stewards of baseball. Our "customers" aren't schools, or coaches, or conferences. Our customer is the game itself." Warren Wilson, quoted by Carl Childress, Officiating.com article, June 3, 2008.
Old Wed Jul 02, 2008, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
first...do you want what i have for you? second, if you want it, do you want it publicly or via PMs? i ask the second part because i'm very straighforward. it's to make you better, but it can come off as harsh sometimes. if you want it and you'd rather have it privately that's up to you.
Old Wed Jul 02, 2008, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

Good Job!

I am glad you have the guts to let us see you work some ball. I hope you can get some better games taped so we can see what you have in higher level games.

I'll pass along comments later...
Old Thu Jul 03, 2008, 12:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Canada, I applaud your courage to post video of yourself working a game. I hope you are serious about wanting honest constructive feedback. So, here goes.

You are properly attired,apart from the grey ball bag (only partially kidding). I have a pet peeve about clean shoes and your plate shoes look very good!! Ball/Strike signalling looks ok. It is very hard to evaluate how you track pitches from the angle you shot the video, but your head is very still, another good point.

I am not sold on your stance. It looks too high and too far away from the catcher for a classic heel/toe stance. You need to get lower and closer to the catcher, as I'm not sure you can call the low strike from where you are. From where you are lined up, depth wise, you could very easily convert to the GD and be properly aligned...hint, hint.

Other than that one upgrade, keep plugging away, you will do just fine!!

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Thu Jul 03, 2008, 12:57am
Official Forum Member

Your stance is high, rigid and too much over the catcher.

There are three elements to getting the correct head height....width of stance, drop down and foward lean. You have zero forward lean.

At times your right foot is so far to the right of the catcher's outside foot you are not lined up properly in the slot.
Old Thu Jul 03, 2008, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Generally you looked good, although I agree a little stiff looking. But at least your squared up with the pitch which is tough to get some people to do. Relax a little and maybe hands on your thighs would help.

I did not hear you say "ball" once. I have been taught to call each pitch.

Keep up the good work.
Old Thu Jul 03, 2008, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks as always for the comments guys. I will work on getting the head height lower and being more relaxed when dropping into my stance. Regarding the lack of back tilt, I was always under the impression that you wanted your upper body to have a more or less 90 degree angle to the ground, because that helps set your eyes in the same place. I will try and work in some back tilt into my stance.

I will be honest and say that I haven't been doing the heel-toe stance as taught at the pro schools. I started doing it this year, but it was uncomfortable and I just wasn't feeling fluid back there. I quickly went back to the heel-instep which feels a lot more natural, but maybe it's time to try heel-toe again.
Old Thu Jul 03, 2008, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

#1, get those 2 clowns inside the dugout. #2, now i want funnel cakes. thanks a lot.
Old Thu Jul 03, 2008, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

i should have kept watching. 3 clowns.
Old Thu Jul 03, 2008, 08:52pm
Official Forum Member

I think the three amigos left to go finish off the Funnel cakes. But then again it looks like they didn't leave many the first visit.

I for one, am not to keen on putting my hands on the catcher but, if it works for you (and it does), ok.
Old Thu Jul 03, 2008, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Hickman
I have been know to stir things up on the site from time to time... So here's mine.

1) I never touch the catcher, can't because I'm not that close. 2) I have not seen anyone turn to the right to hammer, pointers turn to the right to point. 3) I always use left hand to remove mask. 4 ) I just call 'em, I don't explain 'em. 5) What was that last call, a right fist straight out?
Old Thu Jul 03, 2008, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Canada, it's hard to tell from the angle of the video, but are you truly in the slot ? It looks as if you might be more squared behind the catcher. Also, around here, you'd get dinged on an evaluation for throwing a ball back to F1,
but when in Rome.....
Old Thu Jul 03, 2008, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
2) I have not seen anyone turn to the right to hammer, pointers turn to the right to point.
I just happened to turn on the Braves/Phils game after watching Chris' video earlier this evening. Doug Eddings was using the same hammer to the right strike mechanic. Que casualidad.....

Lawrence

Last edited by Lawrence.Dorsey; Thu Jul 03, 2008 at 11:13pm.