The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 07, 2002, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

Can the pitcher throw to first if his foot is on the rubber and he makes a move only to first after getting into the set position?

Or does he have to take his foot off the rubber before he can throw to first?

I've read a lot of stuff about balks but have not seen this specific circumstance addressed.

Thanks!
Old Sun Apr 07, 2002, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ref5678
I think he hast remove his foot but im not sure probaly about 55% sure
Old Sun Apr 07, 2002, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, yes he can...

There is no need to disengage the rubber in order to throw to first. The pitcher would only be balking if his movement was towards home and he threw to first. You'll often hear umpires talking about "distance and direction"; the pitcher must gain some of each of these towards first in order to throw there without balking.
Old Sun Apr 07, 2002, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ref5678
Thank you for clearing that up for me
Old Sun Apr 07, 2002, 11:10pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Criteria for a balk...

What would you say are some basic things to look for when keeping an eye open for a balk, what might be some easy ways to recognize a balk?
Old Mon Apr 08, 2002, 05:05am
Official Forum Member

If my blind grandmother sees it...

I'm an umpire at the HS+ level for some time; currently our Association VP, a trainer, and an evaluator. Having stated my credentials, let me say that I don't "look for" balks -- I know them when I see them and they'd better be visible to more than just me.

Some things to look for:

1. Was there a complete and discernible stop?
2. Was there a stop and restart (a "hitch") in the movement?
3. If the pitcher did not disengage from the set, did he gain d&d (distance and direction) towards the base he threw to?
4. If the pitcher did disengage, was it before the start of a pitch-like motion?
5. If the pitcher was in the wind-up, did he disengage with the appropriate foot?
6. Did the pitcher's foot break the plane of the planted leg?

Also keep in mind that one cannot balk with the head.

Finally, it is virtually impossible to balk to second base. (I'm sure that somebody will respond with a scenario that works --- stop looking for boogers and think about the game that you see on a daily basis --- it doesn't happen in the world I live in)

Well, that's a complex rule in a nutshell. Let me say again, from a "big dog" in our area, make sure that the balk is a clear one to more than just you -- you are not calling MLB.
Old Mon Apr 08, 2002, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Re: If my blind grandmother sees it...

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Coyle
6. Did the pitcher's foot break the plane of the planted leg?

IF the (entire) foot (or any part of the stride leg in NCAA)breaks the back plane of the rubber, the pitcher cannot throw to first or third.

Just breaking the plane of the planted leg has nothing to do with it.
Old Tue Apr 23, 2002, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

it is virtually impossible to balk to second base

In response to Rich Coyle's comment, I don't think this is a "booger" as I see it probably once or twice a season.

Runner on second base, pitcher comes set. Pitcher lifts non-pivot leg, then plants in down while twisting his torso to throw to second base. There was not step toward the base prior to the throw. Result: balk!!
Old Tue Apr 23, 2002, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Can the pitcher throw to first if his foot is on the rubber and he makes a move only

Left-handed pitcher: yes. Right-handed pitcher: no.

I think we had this discussion last week. In my opinion, there is absolutely no way that a right-handed pitcher can make the described move without motioning to the plate. The pitching hand will swing forward toward the plate, and the non-pivot foot will do the same.
Old Tue Apr 23, 2002, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to DDonnelly19 Send a message via AIM to DDonnelly19 Send a message via Yahoo to DDonnelly19
The majority of the time, a RHP will come off the front of the rubber when making a move to 1B, either with the "jab step" or the "jump turn". Both moves are considered to be made while on the rubber. A RHP can keep his foot completely on the rubber while throwing to 1B, but the move takes too long and there's too much of a possibility of being balked for moving towards home.

Basically, look at the pitcher's pivot foot during his move. If it goes directly back behind the rubber, he's off; otherwise, consider him to be on the rubber.