The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 28, 2008, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Just PAY the darn bill . . .

First let me say I am very fortunate. I umpire in an area where the assigining commissioner will not assign umpires to any game unless the entire league has paid, in full, all umpire fees for the current season. That is one of the advantages of working in a well organized and coordinated umpire association.

Sadly we don't umpire ALL the games that are played in the great Portland (OR) area.

So I got THE call last night.

"Hey Tee, this is Jon . . . we are having a huge problem . . . our umpires aren't getting paid."

After 10 minutes of his emotional cry for help I said the following:

"Jon, it is the fault of YOUR group for not having contracts and a payment schedule . . . it is your fault if you assign ONE MORE umpire to this league."

Obviously that is not what Jon wanted to hear . . .

So I ask all of you:

"How do you get paid (primarily during the summer) and be assured that all umpires in your group get their fair pay for games worked?"

Is this just a local problem or are people not paying their bills elsewhere?

Thanks,

Tee
Old Sat Jun 28, 2008, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

I guess We have it easy in our area ( I am the assigner BTW ).
All of our umpires are paid in cash before the game. No cash -- no game !!
Old Sat Jun 28, 2008, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Summer and Fall, cash or check at the plate meeting or no game!

There are certain situations where the assignor will pay by check in the mail or in person, but the umpires are informed of this upon taking the game.
Old Sat Jun 28, 2008, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Summer ball here, each league is different. I work one where we get cash at the end of the night, one where we get one check at the end of the season (only a 4 week season) and one for a township rec. dept. where we are put on a payroll and paid every 2 weeks.
Old Sat Jun 28, 2008, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

We have a couple of associations in my area, both pay their umpires mid season and at the end of the seasons, say July & Oct. Tournament play we are paid at the conclusion of our assignments that day, by an assigned UIC usually a check, but in some cases cash, or the check is mailed.

The association I work for, submits the bill once the league schedules are forwarded.
Payment to the association occurs either on a monthly basis or all at once.

As a former league UIC and or Pres, we got a monthly bill from the association, and remitted payment monthly.

I've never been paid by a team at a game..even when I tell em up front, hey, I can be bought, never had any body call my bluff..
Old Sat Jun 28, 2008, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Tee, I work for two associations during the season. One pays once per month, doesn't use the computer or email. The other pays once the season is over, and uses Arbiter. My summer association is cash/check at the plate.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Sat Jun 28, 2008, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

It depends on the league. Spring HS is by check in the mail in some counties, check on site in others. One league I work for pays by check every 2 weeks. Legion pays on site by check. I have waited as long as 3 weeks to get paid sometimes, usually means they have my address messed up. If I don't get paid in reasonable time, I make a call to the assigner and in a few days the check shows up.

I expect if a league was delinquent too many times my assigner would pull the plug on them. It hasn't happened.
Old Sat Jun 28, 2008, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

I worked a few adult rec games in a neighbouring city a couple months ago. They have my mailing information, but I am still waiting for a paycheck.

That's why I'll never do men's rec ball again...
Old Sat Jun 28, 2008, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Tee,

I have had delayed payments on several occasions. That happens in HS where we get a check from the school. If someone in the chain, say the AD or bookeeeper is out, then sometimes we don't get a check on site. Our assignor is very clear about this: you will work the game no matter if a check is there or not. Rarely have I waited more than a week for a check. Legion pays on site and I can't ever remember a problem there. Some of our JR legion teams like to pay at the end of the game (which I hate), but there are no issues with not getting paid.

Lawrence
Old Sat Jun 28, 2008, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

League 1 started a new policy this year, where we get checks sent monthly for the previous 4 weeks. I'm still waiting for my payment from May.

Leagues 2-10 pay cash on site. One league gives us a check made out to cash, and most of the smaller kids (LL/Mays/Reese) pay in the concession stand after the game, but most coaches have the cash in hand before they even say hi to me.
Old Sat Jun 28, 2008, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
All of our high schools are contractually obligated to pay our umpires in a "timely manner". That being said, we have one school that has as of yet not
paid any of their obligated fees. We have contacted the City School Athletic Director in an attempt to collect fees our guys have earned.
Every season, we have a few guys who are owed at the end of the season,
due to misplaced vouchers, poor mail service,etc.
Old Sat Jun 28, 2008, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

Our men's league is billed at the end of each month. We don't have a problem with getting the money as our assigner sits on the board for the league.

Everything else I do is either cash at the plate meeting or is waiting for us in the umpire's room after the game with a meal and some beer.
Old Sat Jun 28, 2008, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

We had a good system when I was in Pitts.

Summer ball held 6 or 8 meetings , once every two weeks. Dues depended on your attendance. If you attended you got 5.00 off for dues. with a max of $25 off. This was to get the officials at the meeting for training, not all were school ball officials. The association was responsible for collecting all fees and if you worked games you showed at the meeting and could collect up 80% of what you worked todate. The remaining amount was held for the final payout meeting, usually the end of May or at a banquet. It covered your dues and other possible deductions, assignors fee, etc.

There were groups that were late payers but for the most part if you stiffed us one year your money was due upfront the next year. The money was regulated between the league and association and it saved a lot of problems.

As Tim already said, if you do games without a contract or other form of gaurantee, don't go complaining to anyone but yourself. I have seen supposedly good friends, stiff people.
Old Sun Jun 29, 2008, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

In closing . . .

It just really bothers me when people require a service, find someone to fill that need and then STIFF them by not paying.

There is no excuse for it.

Regards,
Old Sun Jun 29, 2008, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

In my association:

High school/College is paid by each school. some pay at the field, some in a couple days, some wait until the school board meetings to approve payment (once a month) there are 2 or 3 that pay at the end of the season through the association

travel/summer games are paid through our association. april/may games are paid June 15, june games july 15, july games august 21 (we have a big tournament the last week of july/first week of august that pushes the pay back a week) and fall games pay at the end of the fall season. (some teams do pay cash or check on the field.)