The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 22, 2008, 06:44pm
I hate Illinois Nazis

Missed Plate

Can a runner return to touch a missed home plate after he has entered the dugout? I'm inclined to say that he can. Also, not that it would be the advisable way to conduct an appeal, but, could a catcher enter the dugout to tag the runner he suspects missed home plate? I'm a "show-me-the-rule" guy, so OBR and FED references would be greatly appreciated.
Old Sun Jun 22, 2008, 06:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapopez
Can a runner return to touch a missed home plate after he has entered the dugout? I'm inclined to say that he can. Also, not that it would be the advisable way to conduct an appeal, but, could a catcher enter the dugout to tag the runner he suspects missed home plate? I'm a "show-me-the-rule" guy, so OBR and FED references would be greatly appreciated.
Rule 7.10 Any runner shall be called out, on appeal, when (d) He fails to touch home base and makes no attempt to return to that base, and home base is tagged.

Section 5.3 of the MLBUM: 5.3 RUNNER MISSES HOME PLATE
Should a runner, in scoring, fail to touch home plate and continue on his way to the bench (making no effort to return), he may be put out by the fielder touching home plate and appealing to the umpire for a decision. However, this rule applies only where a runner is on his way to the bench and the catcher would be required to chase the runner. It does not apply to the ordinary play where the runner misses the plate and then immediately makes an effort to touch the plate before being tagged. In that case, the runner must be tagged. In such cases, base path rules still apply to the runner (i.e., he may not run more than three feet from the "baseline" between him and home plate).

On a play at the plate, should the runner miss home plate and the fielder miss the tag on the runner, it is preferable that the umpire make no signal on the play. As outlined in the previous paragraph, the runner must then be tagged if he attempts to return to the plate; if he continues on his way to the bench, the defense may make an appeal.

A runner may no longer return to touch a missed base — home plate or otherwise — after having entered the dugout.

I don't do FED. Can't help you there.

Rita
Old Sun Jun 22, 2008, 06:59pm
Official Forum Member

No.
Old Sun Jun 22, 2008, 07:21pm
I hate Illinois Nazis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C

Section 5.3 of the MLBUM: 5.3 RUNNER MISSES HOME PLATE

A runner may no longer return to touch a missed base — home plate or otherwise — after having entered the dugout.[/I]

Rita
Thanks Rita. It appears that the part that answers my question only comes from the MLBUM
Old Sun Jun 22, 2008, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

Lapopez,

Rita C quoted from the MLBUM and that is the best source for rules interpretations. However, it is not available publicly. The PBUC Umpires Manual, which is the manual used in the minor leagues, is not as comprehensive as the MLBUM, but much of the content is the same. In particular, your question is answered in the PBUC manual, using (for the most part) language which is identical to the MLBUM. It is available from the PBUC for $20, including shipping.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...c=_ump_manuals

You may also be able to find it at various online suppliers of umpiring equipment. Both Gerry Davis and Jim Evans list it as available on their websites.
Old Sun Jun 22, 2008, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

Now, regarding FED. From the 2008 Casebook: (my bolding for emphasis)

8.2.2 SITUATION M: With R1 on second, B2 hits a grounder to left field. R1 touches third base but misses the plate in attempting to score. F7 having thrown home, F2 steps on the missed base to retire R1 and throws to F6 in an attempt to put out B2: (a) before R1 attempts to return home; or (b) after R1 attempts to return to touch home plate. RULING: (a) Upon proper defensive appeal, R1 would be ruled out. (b) Since R1 initiated action prior to the defense touching the plate, R1 must be tagged to record the out. R1 may legally return to touch home if he has not touched the steps of the dugout and if a subsequent runner has not yet scored.

etn_ump said it much more succinctly, but I hope this reply is convincing for FED.
Old Mon Jun 23, 2008, 06:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
SNIPPED
could a catcher enter the dugout to tag the runner he suspects missed home plate?
The dugout is an out of play area so if the catcher enters the dugout with the ball, TIME would be called and runners would be awarded two bases accordingly. The tag of the player that missed home would mean nothing at this point as play is dead the moment the catcher entered the dugout.
Old Mon Jun 23, 2008, 08:40am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Thanks Rita. It appears that the part that answers my question only comes from the MLBUM
Which makes the answer no less valid. If all the answers came from the rule book, there wouldn't BE supplemental publications.