The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 19, 2008, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
New Mask

After two seasons of being told it would happen...........it finally happened. My +POS AUL 300 took a shot last night and was bent pretty good. It's off to the trash with it. Now, I need a new mask and would love to hear some of your suggestions. And yes, I said mask not helmet. I'm looking for something as light, or near as light as the AUL was. I didn't see anything at Honigs or Davis that caught my attention though.

Tim.
Old Thu Jun 19, 2008, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
I use the Davis Feather weight mask. It is extremely light and comfortable to wear and I have taken a solid shot already off it, and did not have a problem.
Old Thu Jun 19, 2008, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

Tim, I've been using the Wilson Dyna-Lite from Gerry Davis for the last three years. It is very comfortable and not too heavy. I've taken shots and have had no problems. I just got one or my son; he was still using the +POS rosin mask!

Old Thu Jun 19, 2008, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Ozz,

This is probably a silly question, but will the doe skin wrap arounds work for that mask?

Tim.
Old Thu Jun 19, 2008, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

Mask Whore Report

Hi. My name is Dave and I am an umpire mask whore.

I now own three plus the two I bought for my son.

1. and 2. Wilson Chrome Moliben a/k/a Davis New View in black and grey. Black has original Wilson doeskin pads. It came with black pigskin? leather wraparound pads that I sold to Ozzy. Grey has grey vinyl/black pigskin? leather wraparound pads. I like them. Good view. Been hit in both multiple times with no dents or cracks. No headaches, etc.

3 and 4. Honig's $13 navy closeout single bar mask with Wilson original style doeskin pads and my son, his first name is Davis, has Gerry Davis navy/leather pads. Not as light as Wilson Chrome but not noticeable. Lots of hits on mine and no dents, etc.

5. Honig's $13 closeout black double bar mask with Davis Black vinyl/leather pads. No visible wear and not as heavy as you might think.

All of these are much heavier than POS SUL. I have seen Davis Feather weight and it is nice and light. I think it is about the same as the SUL 300. Diamond also has same frame with different pads. I want one but cannot justify it right now. Maybe next year or just a frame and exchange pads.

I also have black amara suede wraparound pads. Great when I first got them but not so comfortable now. A little scratchy and washing them did not help with softness so I have them put away.

I worked with a guy this past HS season with a grey SUL 300 it had a big dent at the eye bar on top. I warned him to exchange and he said he will get around to it. I hope he doesn't learn the hard way.
"We are the stewards of baseball. Our "customers" aren't schools, or coaches, or conferences. Our customer is the game itself." Warren Wilson, quoted by Carl Childress, Officiating.com article, June 3, 2008.
Old Thu Jun 19, 2008, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Tim,

As of about last August I've been using the Wilson Dyna-Lite that ozzy posted the picture of.

I've been quite happy with it.

JM
Old Thu Jun 19, 2008, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

I have a black Honigs K91 that is going strong after 4-5 years. I also have a red Honigs HPMLX and a navy Honigs HPMLX, also going strong. I could not resist the HPMLX frame at closeout price of $13.95.
Old Thu Jun 19, 2008, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

I bought the Davis Featherweight when it first came out. I took a pitch to the forehead area of the mask and it bent (the kid was throwing 60MPH tops).

I then traded it in for the new view and love it. I didn't notice much difference in weight between the featherweight and the NV.

The NV came with the wrap around pads and are still in good shape after three years (200+ plate games)
Old Fri Jun 20, 2008, 06:26am
In Time Out

mask junkie

I'm kind of a mask junkie. Have Wilson all black A3009, dynalite A3009X (the same frame but with the black outside / tan inside pads), Wilson gray A3007 (put black pads on it because the ones that came with it were light gray and tan and didn't look good), but the lightest one that I have is the All Star FM25SLX - it's a bit pricy at aroun $79 but looks really sharp, has thin double bars, the space between the horizontal bars in the "window" is a little bigger - very comfortable and light. I alternate 'em, but it's definitely the lightest.
Old Fri Jun 20, 2008, 07:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
Ozz,

This is probably a silly question, but will the doe skin wrap arounds work for that mask?

Tim.
They might. Just call Davis and they should be able to tell you.
Old Fri Jun 20, 2008, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
I have a black Honigs K91 that is going strong after 4-5 years. I also have a red Honigs HPMLX and a navy Honigs HPMLX, also going strong. I could not resist the HPMLX frame at closeout price of $13.95.
Ive always used Wilson masks but am curious in getting a Honig's mask as well. It seems like Wilson masks are much more popular and prevalent at the professional & college levels. Any reason why this is?
Old Fri Jun 20, 2008, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm21711
Ive always used Wilson masks but am curious in getting a Honig's mask as well. It seems like Wilson masks are much more popular and prevalent at the professional & college levels. Any reason why this is?
The latest surge was people moving to the Wilson "New View" which seems to be the culprit of the rash of injures this year. The standard Wilson masks take a real beating without the owner being injured (when worn correctly).
Old Fri Jun 20, 2008, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

I'm pretty certain...

that this has been discussed here before. I know it has on umpire.org.

The strap wear and pad placement on the mask is key to avoiding injury (so long as the mask bars hold up). I wear the side straps on my masks around the outer ear protector bar. It makes the mask easy to pull off and when in my stance awaiting a pitch the mask rests loosely on my chin. When hit the mask spins left or right and sometimes right off of my head. It never hurts and rarely even stuns me. A lot of ooohs, aaahs and "you okay blue?" from various onlookers. Never so much as a bruise, sore anything or headache in last three years. I have been hit dozens of times in mask at various levels of baseball from NCAA D-1 on down to 13 yo level in both the standard style pads in doeskin and the newer Wilson wraparound style pads in leather, amara suede and vinyl/leather. My two cents. If a mask ever bends, I will not use it anymore.
"We are the stewards of baseball. Our "customers" aren't schools, or coaches, or conferences. Our customer is the game itself." Warren Wilson, quoted by Carl Childress, Officiating.com article, June 3, 2008.
Old Fri Jun 20, 2008, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorDave
that this has been discussed here before. I know it has on umpire.org.

The strap wear and pad placement on the mask is key to avoiding injury (so long as the mask bars hold up). I wear the side straps on my masks around the outer ear protector bar. It makes the mask easy to pull off and when in my stance awaiting a pitch the mask rests loosely on my chin. When hit the mask spins left or right and sometimes right off of my head. It never hurts and rarely even stuns me. A lot of ooohs, aaahs and "you okay blue?" from various onlookers. Never so much as a bruise, sore anything or headache in last three years. I have been hit dozens of times in mask at various levels of baseball from NCAA D-1 on down to 13 yo level in both the standard style pads in doeskin and the newer Wilson wraparound style pads in leather, amara suede and vinyl/leather. My two cents. If a mask ever bends, I will not use it anymore.
I bought a new Dyna Lite with the wrap around amara suede pads and cant get used to it. The mask feels really heavy and I dont really like the padding. Maybe I just need a switch of the pads.
Old Sat Jun 21, 2008, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

I personaly use the Honigs PMLE double-bar mask with the doeskin mask. When it's on I can barely tell its there. Light as all get out and durable. I have had it for 4 years, and work high school and college ball with that mask, taken at least 5 shots off it each season and not even a dent. The usuall marks from the writting on the balls but other than that nothing wrong with it.