Thread: New Mask
View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 19, 2008, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

Mask Whore Report

Hi. My name is Dave and I am an umpire mask whore.

I now own three plus the two I bought for my son.

1. and 2. Wilson Chrome Moliben a/k/a Davis New View in black and grey. Black has original Wilson doeskin pads. It came with black pigskin? leather wraparound pads that I sold to Ozzy. Grey has grey vinyl/black pigskin? leather wraparound pads. I like them. Good view. Been hit in both multiple times with no dents or cracks. No headaches, etc.

3 and 4. Honig's $13 navy closeout single bar mask with Wilson original style doeskin pads and my son, his first name is Davis, has Gerry Davis navy/leather pads. Not as light as Wilson Chrome but not noticeable. Lots of hits on mine and no dents, etc.

5. Honig's $13 closeout black double bar mask with Davis Black vinyl/leather pads. No visible wear and not as heavy as you might think.

All of these are much heavier than POS SUL. I have seen Davis Feather weight and it is nice and light. I think it is about the same as the SUL 300. Diamond also has same frame with different pads. I want one but cannot justify it right now. Maybe next year or just a frame and exchange pads.

I also have black amara suede wraparound pads. Great when I first got them but not so comfortable now. A little scratchy and washing them did not help with softness so I have them put away.

I worked with a guy this past HS season with a grey SUL 300 it had a big dent at the eye bar on top. I warned him to exchange and he said he will get around to it. I hope he doesn't learn the hard way.
"We are the stewards of baseball. Our "customers" aren't schools, or coaches, or conferences. Our customer is the game itself." Warren Wilson, quoted by Carl Childress, Officiating.com article, June 3, 2008.