The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

Taking Helmet Off

IN LL play, if a runner takes off his batting helmet and the umpire has not called time and see him, is he out?
Old Mon Jun 16, 2008, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL DAD
IN LL play, if a runner takes off his batting helmet and the umpire has not called time and see him, is he out?
No.
Old Tue Jun 17, 2008, 06:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL DAD
Why do you think a player removing his helmet during live ball play wout constitute an out?

Note: I'm not being a wise a$$, I just want to know where you got this idea from. I am amazed to find where these myths originate from.
Old Tue Jun 17, 2008, 06:38am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900
Why do you think a player removing his helmet during live ball play wout constitute an out?

Note: I'm not being a wise a$$, I just want to know where you got this idea from. I am amazed to find where these myths originate from.
Because some uninformed, ignorant umpire called this somewhere, I'm sure. It's the same umpire who called a player out for "not sliding at home" when the catcher didn't have the ball waiting to make a tag.
Old Tue Jun 17, 2008, 06:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
Because some uninformed, ignorant umpire called this somewhere, I'm sure. It's the same umpire who called a player out for "not sliding at home" when the catcher didn't have the ball waiting to make a tag.
Yeah, I remember doing that many eons ago. I was doing a "squirt's" game and I was told that "The players must slide into home at all times". I tried to explain to them that this was inconsistant with the rule book, but I was told "You are new here and this is how we do it!". So I did what I was told and when a little guy came into home (no play being made and he didn't slide), I called him out.

The was a "discussion" about the play to which I reminded the coaches that I called exactly what you told me to call. After a few minutes, they walked away talking to themselves and the game went on. Little guys sliding into home play or no play!

A meeting was called the following evening and I was asked to explain my actions (new guy, remember) so I gave it to them with both barrels right out of the LL & OBR rule books. They couldn't believe the "new guy" was quoting rules to them without a book. They asked me to be the UIC for the remainder of the year. I was 20 years old then and the job lasted 5 more years.
Old Tue Jun 17, 2008, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Rich,

I am sure you are referring to LL rules, especially since the original poster's name is LL DAD and he specifically asked about LL. Some youth organizations do have such a rule.

Here is the Dixie Youth rule:
1.16(c) The batter's helmet shall be worn by any offensive player while on the playing field, such as a bat boy, on-deck batter, batter, base-runner or player base coach.
Penalty - For a first offense the player shall be warned by the umpire; for second and subsequent offenses in the same game, the player shall be called out. If the violation is by a bat boy, on-deck batter, or player base coach the penalty for their second offense is removal from game and from the field.
Old Tue Jun 17, 2008, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue37
Rich,

I am sure you are referring to LL rules, especially since the original poster's name is LL DAD and he specifically asked about LL. Some youth organizations do have such a rule.

Here is the Dixie Youth rule:
1.16(c) The batter's helmet shall be worn by any offensive player while on the playing field, such as a bat boy, on-deck batter, batter, base-runner or player base coach.
Penalty - For a first offense the player shall be warned by the umpire; for second and subsequent offenses in the same game, the player shall be called out. If the violation is by a bat boy, on-deck batter, or player base coach the penalty for their second offense is removal from game and from the field.
WOW! I just went on the web-site for Dixie and you are correct, Rich! I feel inadequate now (I only do OBR, NHFS 7 NCAA rules). Naw! It's a stupid rule to call someone out for removing the helmet. I like the NHFS better, warn, warn the team, eject.
Old Tue Jun 17, 2008, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to danreeves1973
Dixie has a lot of add ons to OBR for the sake of safety. Allegedly.

I call a lot of Dixie and have seen the helmet issue arise only once. Bases loaded, batter walked, R3 coming home takes his helmet off about halfway down the line, and then starts "dancing" down the base line, apparently to show off to and taunt the other team, who they were beating pretty well. Plate ump warned him, kid didn't put it back on, so he then tossed him for what he deemed unsportsmanlike conduct. And yes, all hell did ensue.
Old Tue Jun 17, 2008, 11:10am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900
WOW! I just went on the web-site for Dixie and you are correct, Rich! I feel inadequate now (I only do OBR, NHFS 7 NCAA rules). Naw! It's a stupid rule to call someone out for removing the helmet. I like the NHFS better, warn, warn the team, eject.

Not Rich, someone else gave that answer. I have no clue what the Dixie rules are. I find it silly to call outs for non-baseball things like this, myself.

There is no out in Little League (R) baseball for this.
Old Tue Jun 17, 2008, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not Rich, someone else gave that answer. I have no clue what the Dixie rules are. I find it silly to call outs for non-baseball things like this, myself.

There is no out in Little League (R) baseball for this.
I'm sorry, Rich, it was Blue37 that found that diddy in the Dixie Rules. You can go back to sleep, Rich. Sorry I disturbed your slumber!
Old Tue Jun 17, 2008, 07:37pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks

Thanks for your replies guys. I am the Dad of a Little League player in his second year and the coach of a team was having hits over the players taking their helmet off while on base to wipe off the sweat. He sited it as a safety violation and wanted the kids called out. The ump just shrugged his shoulders.

Thanks again, just trying to find some answers to those odd calls you see now and then.
Old Tue Jun 17, 2008, 07:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That same umpire also gives the tie to the runner.
Old Wed Jun 18, 2008, 03:05am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelVA2000
That same umpire also gives the tie to the runner.
And you don't? What are you some kind of commie or something?

Next you'll try to tell me that the hands aren't part of the bat and that you can slide into first base. What other myths don't you believe in?
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Jun 18, 2008, 06:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve

Next you'll try to tell me that the hands aren't part of the bat and that you can slide into first base. What other myths don't you believe in?
Those ba$tards!
Old Wed Jun 18, 2008, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve

Well, I try making friends and influencing coaches whenever possible but I continue to disappoint coaches that believe a pitch that bounces to the plate cannot be hit.