View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 17, 2008, 06:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
Because some uninformed, ignorant umpire called this somewhere, I'm sure. It's the same umpire who called a player out for "not sliding at home" when the catcher didn't have the ball waiting to make a tag.
Yeah, I remember doing that many eons ago. I was doing a "squirt's" game and I was told that "The players must slide into home at all times". I tried to explain to them that this was inconsistant with the rule book, but I was told "You are new here and this is how we do it!". So I did what I was told and when a little guy came into home (no play being made and he didn't slide), I called him out.

The was a "discussion" about the play to which I reminded the coaches that I called exactly what you told me to call. After a few minutes, they walked away talking to themselves and the game went on. Little guys sliding into home play or no play!

A meeting was called the following evening and I was asked to explain my actions (new guy, remember) so I gave it to them with both barrels right out of the LL & OBR rule books. They couldn't believe the "new guy" was quoting rules to them without a book. They asked me to be the UIC for the remainder of the year. I was 20 years old then and the job lasted 5 more years.