The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 09, 2008, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Strike Out/Hit By Pitch? Reds 6-8-08

I was on the road yesterday and ran across the Reds broadcast. At one point, an opposing batter would have been out on a swinging strike three, but the pitch was not caught and the batter reached first. The announcer was adamant the pitch hit the batter and should have been a dead ball strike-out.

After recovering from my initial shock that the announcer knew the rule, I wondered about his vision. He went on about the call for several innings and was still talking about it when I last heard the broadcast.

He did not mention the pitcher or catcher or manager or anyone else complaining. Was he way off base or did the ball hit the batter? He was especially down on the field umps for not seeing it or doing anything about it. If you are in the field and are 100% sure the ball hit the batter, do you initiate a conversation with the PU or do you wait for him to come to you?
Old Mon Jun 09, 2008, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to charliej47 Send a message via MSN to charliej47 Send a message via Yahoo to charliej47
In my pre-game we discuss HB. If it happens, whoever sees it will call it right away with out waiting.
Old Tue Jun 10, 2008, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

As soon as any umpire sees a hit batsman they are to call it.
Old Tue Jun 10, 2008, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

In this situation, I would indicate to the PU that I had info for him. If he wants it I will give it to him. (and this will probably only happen if the defense questions the play) In this case if you come out shouting "time" and kill it, and then the PU says no the ball did not hit him, you now force the PU to over rule you. You should have gotten together and worked it out without looking bad and still getting it right. I would lean towards a guy within arms reach seeing it better than someone 100+ feet away. The NFHS rule book also tells us that the PU "makes all decisions on the batter". (so let him, give him info if you have it, but let him call it - you dont call a check swing without PU asking! )