The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 28, 2002, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Question Keeping Quiet?

I am starting to get an occasional Varsity HS ball. In the previous inning, a close play at the plate and the manager argues the call. PU ends up ejecting the manager and assistant coach (they both deserved to go). With R1, pitcher straddling the mound, he fakes a throw to 1B. PU calls balk even after the pitcher tells him he was not on the rubber. PU says it does not matter, it has HS rule that you can not fake a throw to 1B, even when you are off the rubber. Since PU has ejected the manager and assistant coach, no one objects and I keep quiet. What would you have done?
Old Thu Mar 28, 2002, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

The umpire is wrong. If P is not on the rubber, he can fake anywhere he wants without throwing. He canot however simulate his natural pitching motion while not on the rubber. That would be a balk.
Old Thu Mar 28, 2002, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
Thumbs up

I would have kept quiet also. Normally for me, after a intense situation like it is best to kept quiet and make sure everything is back running smoothly. BTW, I do have a question about the ejection? Did the team that lost both head and assistant coach have anybody there to take their place?
Old Thu Mar 28, 2002, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
Thumbs up

A follow-up to my previous reply, huskerblue do get the rule right, however reread my previous response.
Old Thu Mar 28, 2002, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Mgr Replacement

After the manager and assistant coach were ejected, there was one more adult in the dugout. He was keeping the book and partially dressed as a coach. He assumed the role of 3rd base coach and player assumed 1B responsibilities.

BTW, since the topic of ejections came up afterwards, I choose not to ask him about the balk call.
Old Thu Mar 28, 2002, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Keeping Quiet?

Originally posted by Mike M

With R1, pitcher straddling the mound, he fakes a throw to 1B. PU calls balk even after the pitcher tells him he was not on the rubber. PU says it does not matter, it has HS rule that you can not fake a throw to 1B, even when you are off the rubber. Since PU has ejected the manager and assistant coach, no one objects and I keep quiet. What would you have done?

Ok a few cmments:

1. Normally, the BU would call Balk right away if F1 while on the rubber feinted a throw to first. RE: The BU has a better view of whether or not F1 was in contact or not.

2. You said varsity level, so if I was the PU and F1 said "hey Blue I was not on the rubber", a simple check with my partner should do the trick. Since a Balk in FED is an immediate Dead Ball, we do not have to worry about continuous action and therefore to change the call is a no-brainer.

3. Yes I would keep quiet until afterwards (in private after the game away from the action). If the PU misapplied a rule (which he did), it's up to the coach to request TIME and inquire about the ruling.

Pete Booth
Old Thu Mar 28, 2002, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

The umpire made a improper rule application.
I get the umpire on the side and tell him that I believe F1 can feint to any base while off the rubber. He's a fielder at that point.

Now, PU can take my opinion or leave it; that's his choice as UIC. I've done my job.

If I am PU and my BU makes this incorrect interpretation, I get BU on the side and tell him we are going to right the wrong. That's my job as PU and UIC regarding rule intepretation.

The coaches were ejected for their behavior, not for a misapplied rule. Right or wrong call, coaches are required to maintain appropriate behavior. Although an unfortunate situation, a wrong call or wrong rule interpretation is not an excuse for inappropriate behavior.

Just my opinion,

Freix