The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 15, 2002, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Patrick Szalapski
We've had a really mild winter with very little snow. I was riding my bike across the U of Minnesota softball fields as late as mid-February. I was hoping that what little snow we had would melt and drain/dry more quickly this year than in years previous.

Yesterday, we got dumped on. A foot of new snow lies everywhere. Oh well, never played baseball in March before, why would now be any different?

So, I'm going to Texas. Be back next Sunday. Doubt I'll have internet access much down there, but in any case, I'll be back soon.

P-Sz
Old Fri Mar 15, 2002, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Patrick:

We also are having a Loooooonnnnnng winter. It snowed last night and we are expecting more this week-end. None-the-less, we are getting in about half our games.

I had to call time yesterday afternoon for about 15 minutes as the wind picked up while we were experiencing some flurries. We had a virtual "white-out"; no one could see the ball through the snow.

We still got seven innings before it became too dark. Had my first coach appeal for missing a base. I ruled the runner indeed touched third. (or at least he touched something white, might have been the snow.)

Old Sat Mar 16, 2002, 02:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to etbaseball Send a message via Yahoo to etbaseball
PATRICK & GARTHB:

Just finished my 25th VA HS game.

While there's now over 30 million people who live in California, it does have some other advantages. Not only is the baseball season earlier, it usually longer and much better ball. Most seasons, in the past with college ball included, I've worked from the end of January thru August, before starting 'fall ball.'

The South, the SouthWest and the West ... now we're talking baseball longevity.

I can check around for some rentals, but here in Mountain View, CA an avereage 3/2 will set you back about 6 to 7 hundred thou to purchase.... IT'S ALL ABOUT REAL ESTATE ..."LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION."

Send me a message when you're ready.

Old Sat Mar 16, 2002, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

"LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION."

That's the same with pitching.

Bob
Old Sat Mar 16, 2002, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Ed:

The Bay Area? Sorry, been there, done that. I'll take affordable housing*, 75 lakes within a 100 mile radius, blue skies, water without chunks, good schools and no freeway gridlock over Mountain View, Sunnyvale, Santa Clara, San Jose, Cupertino, Alviso, Milpitas, Morgan Hill, Gilroy, Alamden Valley, Palo Alto, East Palo Alto, Saratoga, Los Gatos, Menlo Park, Atherton, etc, etc.

Location, location, location.

Even with a late spring, I 'll get in my 150 games.

GB

*By affordable housing, I mean a 4 bedroom, three bath, 4,000 sq. foot home with two level deck, two family rooms, office,exercise room, formal living room, formal dining room, three car garage on a landscaped half acre for $260,000.

Old Sat Mar 16, 2002, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to etbaseball Send a message via Yahoo to etbaseball
GarthB:

I'll take three of those 4/3 4,000SF homes for 260K each...

On second thought, I don't think I could live without earthquakes, draughts / floods, fires and the 6 million uninsured motorists. And of course you know that in addition to having more people of color that any other of the 49 states, we also enjoy a much better game of ball.

This transplanted Bostonian will have to be forced to leave this 'Golden' state.

Did I mention the $1.60 gasoline prices, or having no electricy when you really nned it or want it?

Old Wed Mar 20, 2002, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Now let's talk location and baseball.

Houston Texas....I have 6 Division1 NCAA and 19 High School games under my belt. I actually worked a sweat last night. 84 degrees at 7pm. Humidity a comfortable 88%. We are in full force here. We have competitive teams. Some of the best in the nation. (See the USA Baseball rankings)

The problemis in June, July, August, September and October. You know baseball season. It is 98 with 99% humidity and it rains every afternoon. The good thing is the showers are quick. It just gives us the sauna like effect. Great umpiring weather. It is affordable here. Just ask the bugs that are the size of your pet dog.

We play year round and the quality is good. I have been fortunate to escape to Cooperstown NY for a week at Dreamspark to umpire. It is beautiful there. Rolling hills and green pastures. I do miss the bay area as Ed said it is nice. But with the cost comes an attitude from parents and coaches. I found dealing with the souther parents they are easier to deal with. And the Northeast people are a little less understanding, and let you know it. The midwest is pretty cool. And Southern California forget it you can do nothing right. Florida and southeast people are the best. They know the game and know they will overcome it. Otherwise they will go to the beach.
Old Sat Mar 30, 2002, 12:36am
Official Forum Member

ET,

I will help you out. Started in mid Feb and already have my 40 games under the belt.

Location Location. I will take SoCal over everywhere else.

Long winters in the East...then hurricanes knock out half your games.

Long winters in the Midwest...then you have to play indoors to keep away from the tornadoes.

Long winters in the North...then spring floods take out your fields.

SoCal is year around.
A little tremor, we move on.

A wild fire, we call the Forestry Departments from other states that are manned with unemployed umpires because of above reasons.

Gas prices too high...we skateboard to the games.

No electricity...we open the doors and windows and let the cool ocean breeze cool us down after the games.

Steve