The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Ump Intentially Hit By Pitch? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/45027-ump-intentially-hit-pitch.html)

UMP25 Fri Jun 06, 2008 02:44pm

Nah. Just stick a piece around one's ankles under the pants. That works every time. ;)

LakeErieUmp Fri Jun 06, 2008 02:47pm

Ya know, a .45 in a cowboy holster would work too - you can put some balls in the other one, and you have a neat place for your lineup pencil

umpduck11 Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by LakeErieUmp
Ya know, a .45 in a cowboy holster would work too - you can put some balls in the other one, and you have a neat place for your lineup pencil

Why do you think they're called "bullet" pencils ?????

ironhead17 Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:06am

Team from Dillon,SC

Did the same thing to a CBUA umpire who immediately tossed the catcher. Later an assistant coach admitted to telling them to do it. I'm not sure if Dixie Boys Majors did anything to them - it happened during a State Tournament.:mad:

Sad but folks from that area have a poor reputation.

It's the second time I've seen it happen and both times it's intentional.

UMP25 Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:13pm

Did anyone catch the O'Reilly Factor Tuesday? Bill had a segment on this.

Adam Wed Jun 11, 2008 05:17pm

Check this out.
Looks like the umpire is reserving his right to sue.

dhargaman Tue Jun 17, 2008 04:19pm

been there, done that..

Well, sure looks to me like it's intentional. Catcher dropped his body and head when the pitch went straight ahead. Had this happen to me in HS varsity game couple years ago.

Pitcher thought I squeezed his zone inning before, lost his shut-out. After warm-up pitches, catcher went to mound. First pitch catcher flopped on ground and pitch went past my right ear. Had heard stories, but first time having it happen. Took a few seconds figuring out "did that just happen" and didn't dump anyone. Probably would have if pitch had hit me. All I can plead is inexperience. Told the catcher "that better not ever happen again" and finished the game. After talking to fellow umps over next couple of days, realized how I should have handled it and contacted my assignor. On his advice, I contacted the AD at the school and he wound up suspending the players for the next game. I'd definitely dump the battery if I had it to do again, especially since I got my collar bone broken by a foul ball a week ago while doing 14 year olds! If 14's can break bones, high school varsity and up could seriously hurt or kill someone!

Nice to see that the state assoc. is stepping up to the plate with max penalties. Also that the catcher is paying a price for his actions even though he's graduated already. Don't know if I agree if the PU decides to sue unless he was injured, might come under the category of frivolous/unnecessary lawsuit unless it's to pay for medical bills.

Definitely think that partners should have been aware of situation and stepped in to let PU know what had happened and give him more time/support/encouragement to dump players. Another case of "we all gotta stick together." Especially doing state playoffs, they should be experienced umps and know how to handle a situation like this better. Also think that young umps need a little bit more education on how to handle situations like this before they see them live and have to make that decision in real time.

Just my 2 (or 20) cents worth!

lawump Tue Jun 17, 2008 07:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Check this out.
Looks like the umpire is reserving his right to sue.

As an umpire I want to say one thing, but as a defense attorney I want to say another.:(

UmpJM Tue Jun 17, 2008 07:19pm

lawump,

How about you say BOTH, and we\'ll all GUESS which is which! :D

Could be fun.

JM

DG Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawump
As an umpire I want to say one thing, but as a defense attorney I want to say another.:(

No prosecuting attorney viewpoint? :confused:

w_sohl Wed Jun 18, 2008 04:25pm

Sorry if this is Germans...

ESPN Rick Reilly article

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/st...t&lid=tab1pos1