Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 30, 2008, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Replay is coming! Replay is coming!

Per Supervisor Rich Rieker in a chat online:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3418530

Quote:
The NFL, NBA, NHL, some NCAA sports and major tennis tournaments all employ a form of instant replay.

And there's Major League Baseball, which has forgone replay over the years but has the potential to set the highest standard of the practice if it maximizes the technology, an umpire supervisor said Thursday.

"Replay is coming," Rich Rieker, who serves as a liaison between MLB and its umpires, wrote in a chat with the Houston Chronicle's Web site. "If done properly we have an opportunity to set the gold standard in replay, learning from pros and cons from other sports. But we must do so in a fashion that will not delay the game further."

MLB is making tentative plans to experiment with replay in the Arizona Fall League, a baseball official with knowledge of those discussions told ESPN.com recently. If successful, MLB then is likely to continue the experiment next March during the World Baseball Classic and spring training games.

If no insurmountable problems arise, baseball could begin using replay -- though only to decide home run calls -- as soon as next season.

The idea of replay has gained momentum after umpires botched several home run rulings on national TV earlier this month.

A top baseball official confirmed to The Associated Press that he will formulate a proposal for replay, although he wouldn't put a timetable on a replay plan.

"The times are such that our fans are used to seeing all the high technology and they're used to seeing the other sports that use these systems to make determinations, and the fans are clamoring for all the sports to look at that," said Jimmie Lee Solomon, the sport's executive vice president for baseball operations.

Baseball also is calling for games, which border on an average of three hours each, to be sped up. During his chat, Rieker, a major league umpire for nine seasons before becoming MLB's supervisor of umpires, was asked if the plate ump would be the one to use replay.

"Probably not," he wrote in his Chronicle chat. "Use of a possible replay official could come into play and we really don't want to take the umpires off the field to look at replays.

"Replay could slow down the game, but it could also eliminate unnecessary arguments. So there might be a canceling effect. But surely, there will be some delay."
Old Fri May 30, 2008, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

...and here people said Balkin' Bob wasn't good for nuttin'.
Old Fri May 30, 2008, 04:23pm

It is a dark day indeed. Baseball will no longer be the same once they go down this slippery slope. There goes 140 years of tradition down the dumper.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri May 30, 2008, 04:28pm

And another thing while I'm good and pis$ed...what is wrong with a good argument, anyway? Arguments between manager and umpire are some of the most entertaining parts of any baseball game. Without the chance of occasional rhubarbs, what's so fun about watching a ballgame anyhow? I think any introduction of replay to baseball really sucks. It's not like the other sports, it is played differently and officiated differently. The MLB is kowtowing to the demands of a few, and replay will only serve to undermine the authority of the umpire.
Old Fri May 30, 2008, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
And another thing while I'm good and pis$ed...what is wrong with a good argument, anyway? Arguments between manager and umpire are some of the most entertaining parts of any baseball game. Without the chance of occasional rhubarbs, what's so fun about watching a ballgame anyhow? I think any introduction of replay to baseball really sucks. It's not like the other sports, it is played differently and officiated differently. The MLB is kowtowing to the demands of a few, and replay will only serve to undermine the authority of the umpire.
MLB has no choice but to use replays to decide disputed home runs since it stood idly by and let architects fashion Rube Goldberg inspired outfields and stands.

This is clearly a case where the fences and stands are so full of bends, nooks, crannies, and yellow lines that no human can be faulted for missing something now and then.

Frankly, I think a better solution would be to add two umpires to the existing crews which would give more guys a shot at the majors. But I guess that would be too expensive.
Old Fri May 30, 2008, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And another thing while I'm good and pis$ed...what is wrong with a good argument, anyway?
Fox wants to show a rerun of American Idol at 5:00, so that 2:30 game better run without any hitches.
Old Sun Jun 01, 2008, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Without the chance of occasional rhubarbs, what's so fun about watching a ballgame anyhow?
You're one of those guys that goes to a ballgame with a book to read, aren't you.
Old Sun Jun 01, 2008, 07:45pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonInKansas
You're one of those guys that goes to a ballgame with a book to read, aren't you.
No, but I am one of those guys that loves to watch the umpires "work" more than the players (who merely "play"). And I also enjoy a good argument followed soon thereafter by a big ejection(s).
Old Sun Jun 01, 2008, 09:13pm
In Time Out

Quote:
No, but I am one of those guys that loves to watch the umpires "work" more than the players (who merely "play"). And I also enjoy a good argument followed soon thereafter by a big ejection(s).
Hey Blue, you're missing a good game, even if you were/weren't assigned to this one.

No, wait. You can watch all the bangers/nut cutters on instant replay at home.
Old Sun Jun 01, 2008, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Rcichon
This is bad. Just bad.

Some traditions are worth keeping. This one (IR) is not worth the time I just took to write about it.

Crystal ball sees a work slow-down looming.

One could only hope.
Old Mon Jun 02, 2008, 12:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcichon
Some traditions are worth keeping. This one (IR) is not worth the time I just took to write about it.

Crystal ball sees a work slow-down looming.

One could only hope.
Its the 21st century folks.
It seems pretty silly for a major league sport (baseball is the last major sport not to use replay) to continue allowing plays/calls to stand that are shown to be 100% incorrect by readily available technology. This is a multi billion dollar business we are talking about, not juniors little league game.
Every poll I've seen on the subject has players, coaches, fans, team officials and yes even major league umpires overwhelmingly for the instant replay of home run and fan interference calls..
Old Mon Jun 02, 2008, 06:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjong
Every poll I've seen on the subject has players, coaches, fans, team officials and yes even major league umpires overwhelmingly for the instant replay of home run and fan interference calls..
What, and give up the tradition of being wrong?

Seriously, though, nothing wrong with using IR for dead ball calls. My worry is mission creep: having invested the technology, baseball will feel called upon to use it, and then use it some more...
Old Mon Jun 02, 2008, 07:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron

Seriously, though, nothing wrong with using IR for dead ball calls. My worry is mission creep: having invested the technology, baseball will feel called upon to use it, and then use it some more...
I agree with both of those points. And, baseball is last because the real impetus for change comes from gambling, and less is wagered on any individual baseball game than on football or basketball.
Old Mon Jun 02, 2008, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron

I agree with that totally. Yesterday in UNO and USM game in Baton Rouge regional had disputed call and U3 called foul but PU thought it hit pole etc.,

Ended up calling it fair. I don't know what is going on with U3 that they can't seem to get the angle to make the calls. I know its tough, but I"m thinking they are surprised by the hit and so many calls are easy that they just aren't really focused until its too late and then they haven't gotten into position to make the call.

Thanks
David
Old Mon Jun 02, 2008, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
It is a dark day indeed. Baseball will no longer be the same once they go down this slippery slope. There goes 140 years of tradition down the dumper.
What 140 years of tradition

That Statement went "out the window" with the following:

1. Advent of DH
2. Lowering of pitching mound
3. Divisonal Playoff Format (BTW baseball is talking about adding another wild card team)
4. Inter-League Play
5. 6 / 7 innings being a Quality Start
6. Smaller Ball-parks

Forget about the so called Tradition of baseball

There will still be plenty of arguments

Pete Booth