The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   ejection question (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/44839-ejection-question.html)

thumpferee Thu May 29, 2008 01:09pm

ejection question

If/when a coach gets ejected, is there a rule that states he cannot "attend" the next game?

Can someone point me in the right direction to the penalty for the next game?

Thank You!

jdmara Thu May 29, 2008 01:15pm

I believe it is up to each individual state to decide the penalty for ejections. In Iowa, the penalty is removal from the rest of that day and the following contest at that same level.

-Josh

MrUmpire Thu May 29, 2008 01:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by thumpferee
If/when a coach gets ejected, is there a rule that states he cannot "attend" the next game?

Thank You!

Umpires are not involved in the penalty phase of ejections. Consult your league, or state, if it involves a school game.

thumpferee Thu May 29, 2008 01:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrUmpire
Umpires are not involved in the penalty phase of ejections. Consult your league, or state, if it involves a school game.

So if a coach is ejected during a game, and the penalty for him is a "next game suspension", and the umpire who ejected him sees him standing near the dugout during the next game, you don't get involved?

Maybe I should have said FED game in orig post.

But in FED, isn't it an automatic next game suspension?

I was just wondering if he can "attend" the game.

bob jenkins Thu May 29, 2008 01:34pm

Quote:

No, it's not. The state / conference might have such a policy, though. And, the state / conference policy might state what action the umpire should take.

My guess is that most who have a suspension policy do NOT have the umpires enforce it. If the coach violates the suspension rule, then additional penalties apply.

thumpferee Thu May 29, 2008 01:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins
No, it's not. The state / conference might have such a policy, though. And, the state / conference policy might state what action the umpire should take.

My guess is that most who have a suspension policy do NOT have the umpires enforce it. If the coach violates the suspension rule, then additional penalties apply.

Thanks Bob!

That's what I am looking for, is something in writing stating the procedures.
Any thoughts where I might search for such procedures?

jdmara Thu May 29, 2008 01:44pm

Quote:

So if a coach is ejected during a game, and the penalty for him is a "next game suspension", and the umpire who ejected him sees him standing near the dugout during the next game, you don't get involved?

Maybe I should have said FED game in orig post.

I was just wondering if he can "attend" the game.

In Iowa, the coach is not allowed to be at the next contest date. This is supposed to be self-enforced by the AD and coaches. Although if the official does see them within the confines, they are suppose to report it to the state.

-Josh

jdmara Thu May 29, 2008 01:45pm

Quote:

Thanks Bob!

That's what I am looking for, is something in writing stating the procedures.
Any thoughts where I might search for such procedures?

I would just call your state association and ask them what the policies are

-Josh

thumpferee Thu May 29, 2008 01:51pm

Thanks Josh!

PeteBooth Thu May 29, 2008 01:58pm

Quote:

Quote:

Thank You!

As umpires we DO NOT get involved with ejection penalties nor should we answer any questions concerning ejection penalties because we could give wrong information.

Even if the EJ comes with an auomatic 1 game suspension, the ruling committee could vote to suspend the individual for more than one game if this is a repeated offense.

In my association, During the game we simply write down the number of the individual we ejected and the inning it occured in.

After the game we phone the assignor (followed up with an E-mail) and tell him the circumstances of the ejection - End of Story. The assignor then forwards the report to the appropriate AD.

Same is true for every league I umpire in. I do not answer questions about ejection penalties. That is left up to the presidents of the leagues we service.

Pete Booth

Huskerblue Fri May 30, 2008 08:47am

jdmara....where in Iowa are you?? Anywhere close to Parkersburg?? Saw pics of the tornado damage and it looks awful.

rei Fri May 30, 2008 09:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrUmpire

Not so in NCAA. If the ejection includes physical contact, the umpire immediately applies and informs the coach/player/etc....of the next game suspension.

There is also the post game suspension, and the suspension of a pitcher.

Rich Fri May 30, 2008 09:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeteBooth
As umpires we DO NOT get involved with ejection penalties nor should we answer any questions concerning ejection penalties because we could give wrong information.

Even if the EJ comes with an auomatic 1 game suspension, the ruling committee could vote to suspend the individual for more than one game if this is a repeated offense.

In my association, During the game we simply write down the number of the individual we ejected and the inning it occured in.

After the game we phone the assignor (followed up with an E-mail) and tell him the circumstances of the ejection - End of Story. The assignor then forwards the report to the appropriate AD.

Same is true for every league I umpire in. I do not answer questions about ejection penalties. That is left up to the presidents of the leagues we service.

Pete Booth

Clearly you do not work NCAA baseball.

jdmara Fri May 30, 2008 10:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huskerblue
jdmara....where in Iowa are you?? Anywhere close to Parkersburg?? Saw pics of the tornado damage and it looks awful.

I live in Iowa City, a little over 100 miles south of Parkersburg. It has been quite a tragedy because much of the town was destroyed. It was amazing that more people were not harmed since it basically wiped the town out completely. There are a lot of problems right now with contamination of water ways. By the news reports, it seems as though there has been great support for the families.

-Josh

MrUmpire Fri May 30, 2008 10:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rei
Not so in NCAA. If the ejection includes physical contact, the umpire immediately applies and informs the coach/player/etc....of the next game suspension.

There is also the post game suspension, and the suspension of a pitcher.

According to the explanation Dave Yeast gave at an NCAA clinic, this is still regarded as notification of the penalty, not deciding a post game penalty or enforcing the post game penalty.