The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 29, 2008, 04:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to aceholleran
Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11
Well remember Ace, you've been on the other side of the coin. I seem to recall a story in which your partner informed a coach to stop taking his warm-ups as game time was approaching. The HC replied "I'm getting screwed already!"

Partner was fuming, saying "Let me run em Ace, let me run em". And you talked him out of it.

Chances are if my partner is coming in and taking care of a situation that started with me, I'm probably too pissed to making a good judgment on the situation. That's where my thinking is taking me on this one, but I'm certainly swayable if anybody has some sound advice here.
Oddly enuff, I had the same partner in both games. A top-notch grad of the Wendelstedt school, he made it up to AA ball before getting passed over.

Ace
Old Tue Apr 29, 2008, 05:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to aceholleran
Why so nasty?

I will never understand the need for some of this group to be overly pointed when they disagree with a poster.

First off, this coach overtly and intentionally interfered. This was not a base coach with a ball in his vicinity, but a guy in a fence-protected dugout. I don't recall how far the HC had to move to accomplish this act, but he had to reach a good arm's length off the side of the fence to do so. The ball would have absolutely stayed live but for the INT.

That's what made me mad.

But I DID listen to my pard, I DID control my emotions, and no EJ happened. I was trying to express that I was fortunate to listen to Pard and no let my emotions take over.

I told the story mainly to communicate a boneheaded move by a coach, and I get a lecture on how to act.

This my 31st season. I do only 20 or so games a year now. I have done LL through summer league with college, alumni and many ex-pro players. No NCAA games, okay?

I have suspended one game due to an entire LL team (plus coaches) who ran amok. This was in my second or thrid season, and I probably handled it poorly.

I have ejected one and half players in this time. The half was a thrown bat and helmet after a K, where the HC and I simultaneously dumped the player. The HC delivered the tongue-lashing. Sorta like a shared sack in football, no?

I have ej-ed exactly three coaches in this time period, so I don't think one could say I have a quick trigger.

I also must say that I respect everyone on this board and appreciate many of the posts. IMHO, however, we get enough slings and arrows from coaches, players, fans and funnel-cake makers.

Why do we jump all over each other (on occasion) with fervor?

Ace in CT
Old Tue Apr 29, 2008, 06:27am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
You know something?
Yup, you're making a mistake responding to these trolls. You're doing exactly what they want you to do...lose your temper. And highlighting their posts just keeps it alive after the mods get rid of the originals.

Let the mods do their job. Just report the trolling. The mods will then eventually take care of these clowns.
Old Tue Apr 29, 2008, 08:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Yup, you're making a mistake responding to these trolls. You're doing exactly what they want you to do...lose your temper. And highlighting their posts just keeps it alive after the mods get rid of the originals.

Let the mods do their job. Just report the trolling. The mods will then eventually take care of these clowns.
Thats why I mostly read and don't post much.
Old Tue Apr 29, 2008, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee

Jurassic do not know about the basketball Forum but it really is a shame in what this Forum has turned into. When first introduced it was one if not thee BEST around.

Now, members like TEE , Garth, Carl Childress et al do not even post anymore. If this Forum continues on it's current path it will probably be tuned into ("son of Mcgrifth's)

Mick and Bob can only do so much.

McGrifths when it was first introduced also was one of the best Umpire Discussion Forums around and look what happend to that site. I believe it's shut down.

I enjoyed Rob Drakes' new site but because of the Major league baseball umpires they shut that site down. You can still look at old threads. Maybe it will re-surface because that Forum was starting to "pick-up steam"

As mentioned I do not know about the Basketball Forum and also what "other" basketball Forums you visit.

Pete Booth
Old Tue Apr 29, 2008, 11:36am
Archaic Power Monger

Just keep reporting the posts and they will be taken care of. As you notice, it is all gone now.
Old Tue Apr 29, 2008, 12:25pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceholleran
I will never understand the need for some of this group to be overly pointed when they disagree with a poster.

First off, this coach overtly and intentionally interfered. This was not a base coach with a ball in his vicinity, but a guy in a fence-protected dugout. I don't recall how far the HC had to move to accomplish this act, but he had to reach a good arm's length off the side of the fence to do so. The ball would have absolutely stayed live but for the INT.

That's what made me mad.

But I DID listen to my pard, I DID control my emotions, and no EJ happened. I was trying to express that I was fortunate to listen to Pard and no let my emotions take over.

I told the story mainly to communicate a boneheaded move by a coach, and I get a lecture on how to act.

This my 31st season. I do only 20 or so games a year now. I have done LL through summer league with college, alumni and many ex-pro players. No NCAA games, okay?

I have suspended one game due to an entire LL team (plus coaches) who ran amok. This was in my second or thrid season, and I probably handled it poorly.

I have ejected one and half players in this time. The half was a thrown bat and helmet after a K, where the HC and I simultaneously dumped the player. The HC delivered the tongue-lashing. Sorta like a shared sack in football, no?

I have ej-ed exactly three coaches in this time period, so I don't think one could say I have a quick trigger.

I also must say that I respect everyone on this board and appreciate many of the posts. IMHO, however, we get enough slings and arrows from coaches, players, fans and funnel-cake makers.

Why do we jump all over each other (on occasion) with fervor?

Ace in CT
Ace,

First of all, you asked us for our opinions. You know that when you ask umpires for their opinions, they don't hold back or pull any punches. I have reread all the posts, and haven't found anyone "jumping all over you." Most of us just find it amazing that a stupid coach could evoke such a reaction in what we've come to know as a pretty level-headed "good guy" such as yourself.

Secondly, if you have only ran 3 coaches and "one and a half" players over a 31 year period, I must say that is a very low tally indeed. Perhaps there were a multitude of occassions in which an ejection was warranted where you didn't pull the trigger. And just maybe that has culminated in a build-up of frustration in you over the years to where you would react in this manner to actually run in from your position all pissed off looking to eject this coach. The fact that the coach "made you mad" by his bonehead actions leads me to believe there is more to it than you reported, and I suspect others feel the same way.

Just sayin'.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Apr 29, 2008, 01:38pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth
As mentioned I do not know about the Basketball Forum and also what "other" basketball Forums you visit.
Pete, we get the same brand of jerks on the basketball forum. Most if not all of them of them disappear after finding out that their act isn't going to play. None of 'em however seem to be as vindictive and determined to raise havoc as the particular couple of goobers currently infesting this forum. One of the main reasons that I never reveal my identity is people like these. They're truly scary, as Garth found out.

We do go off-topic a lot more over on the basketball forum. 99% of it though is just having a l'il fun with each other, with no one really taking anyone else too seriously or getting that huffy at imagined slights. We argue....and usually then fuggedaboutit.

We used to have some great arguments on basketball over on McGriffs years ago too. Great site at that time, but Gary never bothered or didn't have the time to police it. Damn shame really. The NFHS forum isn't bad at times also , but it's almost seasonal....even though it gets policed well too.

With the disappearance of the main 2 instigators the last few weeks, I thought that this forum really started to show what it could be. It's very informative, and a good read for non-umpires like me that are still interested in the game.

Bob and Mick do a great moderating job here imo. And I say that while probably leading the free world in deleted posts over the years. If you report the trolls diligently, they'll get rid of them.....while also still allowing free speech(within reason).

All you can do is keep on keeping on.
Old Tue Apr 29, 2008, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Was there other posts in this thread that have been deleted? Certainly we're not getting on Ace for being a "troll". I must be missing something here...

I still think this Forum is valuable and in some ways perhaps more valuable now that "one side" is gone. It has gotten out alot of the bickering, but also we've lost alot of knowledge.

Still, there is some knowledge here, you just have to know where to look. Those that left were not "special" in any way, they just knew their avocation very well and could give sound advice.

Surely somebody else could do the same. This forum's still alright in my book. You just have to weed out the idiots and not get worked up by them. The past week we've had better threads than when all the fighting was going on, so that's a plus.
Old Tue Apr 29, 2008, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Cub42
As explained in this thread, you have a dead ball, Interference, and place the runners as you did, correctly. I think many of us would like to hear from you concerning why you were furious, and wanted to dump him. Do you have past issues between the 2 of you? As you move on to higher level baseball, your Game Mgt skills become more critical and Handling situations will how your reputation is molded. Keep your emotions under control and remember that Umpires do not eject players and managers, Players and MGR's eject themselves